Would 2 Nitro Qualifying Runs Be Enough? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
If the NHRA events get back going in June in the land of the gators and the days are condensed there and down the road. Is 2 nitro sessions enough/fair to the teams if they go down that number route?

TopFuel@Lions

Why wouldn’t it be fair?
As long as each team gets two qualifying attempts, there’s nothing to complain about.

The problem with that is it seems there is at least as much interest in the Pro qualifying as there is in Race Day. As far as the other classes go the people and money they bring in is what has been keeping this deal afloat as much as the spectators. Contrary to popular belief Glendora is not hoarding and skimming boatloads of money. While it is true that the business model has a whole lot to be desired the whole thing is marginal at best and I have been told it is almost running event to event. It is a fact that if they don't get this season in a lot of the member tracks as well as NHRA as we know it cannot be assured or even expected to survive. If all the restrictions were lifted right this minute what percentage of tracks - racers and spectators are in a position to put on - race or watch even an abbreaviated race. Drag racing does not lend it's self to "Social Distining" and TV is about as exciting to the senses as watching paint dry.

Some of the teams used the 4 sessions to set up their baseline and then either test or shoot for the moon. I think with only two qualifying runs you are going to see every team make the first run with a mild tuneup to assure getting into the show then if they made a good pass running the 2nd run more aggressively, even if there are only 16 cars and they are guaranteed a spot. It all sounds easy but at many races some of the top teams didn't qualify until the 4 run. Will be interesting to see how it goes, the 1st round of eliminations could be real interesting.

I've long been a fan of 2 day races. I believe there should be 2 qualifying runs on Friday and one Saturday morning for a total of 3 Q laps. Depending on local curfews I think eliminations should start at 1:00 Saturday. Sportsman can carry over into Sunday if needed and pro can run Sunday in the event of weather problems on Friday and/ or Saturday.

No , the NHRA and race tracks need ppl to attend the races. Cutting days is not gonna work for the bottom line.
I’ve been a proponent for 2 qualifying sessions and a 2 day race weekend. The issue, as stated by an NHRA official to me, was that they need the other days to be profitable. BTW, I’ve always attended Saturday. You see more cars, more action and back in the day you’d see a lot of drama/banzai runs for cars trying to get in

I have to believe that the tracks need the revenue from having the pros there and running for three days of racing activity. The extra day of ticket sales, parking, t shirt and food concessions etc. can make the difference between making or losing money. I would also believe that fan's who work would more likely show up on a Sunday than a Friday if they were going to the race for two days.

the two day model should be tested. two runs to set the field will be awesome. driver must run 1 pass in each lane. 2 hours between Q sessions.
i think 4-6 races each year could be run like this. more if results are favorable.

the two day model should be tested. two runs to set the field will be awesome. driver must run 1 pass in each lane. 2 hours between Q sessions.
i think 4-6 races each year could be run like this. more if results are favorable.
I am intrigued by the idea... But the possibility of no one running Q2 in a 16 car field exists... can you say PROtest?? :oops:
Not likely to happen, BUT...

I have been to races where Friday got rained out & Sat was the only day to Q. Worked out OK. Everyone seemed to have a tune up to fit the track. Would save $$ for parts, fuel, etc.

I say don't make any changes to the format. National Events are still going to need 3 or 4 days to complete, as long as the Sportsman classes are still included. Without Pro qualifying on Fri and Sat, no one would show up just to see Sportsman cars on Fri. As someone already noted, track operators are going to need spectator revenue more than ever. Of course we could get by with it if we had to, but it would not be my preference at all.

Why wouldn’t it be fair?
As long as each team gets two qualifying attempts, there’s nothing to complain about.

Post of the thread. There is nothing left to discuss, big team, little team; it is the same 2 shots for everyone. It is even MORE of an advantage because the lower funded teams will have the 2 runs they maybe usually make and the big teams will not be able to have 2 sessions to 1 up them.

IMO, if they're looking to reduce costs for the professional categories, then trimming down to a 2 day event will be a direct and immediate impact. But it would need to be a Saturday/Sunday, not Friday/Saturday or their spectator $ will drop drastically.
I think they will flesh that thought out during the remainder of the season.

Pete, you might be right about Sat and Sun, but I really don't think so. Just look at the attendance figures for Sundays the last X years. History long ago proved that Friday evening and Saturday's usually worked with better attendance and additionally Fri and Sat races would provide a rain option on Sunday. I also think a qualifying run Saturday morning would aid competition by telling crew chiefs what to expect from the track and weather. So I'm in favor of 2 q laps on Friday and 1 Saturday morning with eliminations in the early afternoon and evening on Saturday. Now if somebody just gave a darn what my opinion is.

When they run Circle cars, Dirt Sprints, Asphalt cars, etc. They do they their feature on Sat. nite. Would be different but would be great as you can see the flames when it's kinda dark out. Great evening out. Sundays, well, as you're walking thru the pits, you think man, I hafta goto work tomorrow. Sat night Elims. would be different but cool. Evening entertainment.

In the Old Daze, there were a lot of races that were run Sat night & they got the crowds. Seeing the flames from the nitro cars was the main reason they ran at night.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back