Will the NHRA ever allow 90% nitro use again (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
After the tragic death of Darrell Russell the NHRA reduced the nitro percentage down to 85%, although 90% nitro is allowed to be used at Denver.

Do you think the NHRA will ever allow 90% nitro to be used again?

90% nitro is the maximum allowed in England.

I say bring back 100% , I have read alot of articles and interviews and the crew chiefs seem to agree that 100% with an blower overdrive restriction of about 30% would solve the damage problem . One article I read was about austin coil and he said that the cars just don't sound right and that they need the sound of 100% and the fire in the pipes and that it would do bad things for the classes if they lost that .If anyone knows what those cars need its coil , not only is he the master of performance but he is also the master of putting on a show from his match racing days . I read quite a bit about that darrel russel crash and I heard that alot of people tried getting blaimed for that . People and companies shouldnt be blamed for accidents because it was just that an accident , sometimes accidents happen and you can't do anything about it .

I don't know whether or not they will, but I'll tell ya this... I've been catching up on some history by watching Diamond P's season reviews from 1986 through 1997 and even on TV the cackle sounds better with the higher percentages! I, for one, hope they bring back at least 90%, if not more.

If NHRA listens to Dan Olson, the answers yes! But the Crewchiefs have been complaining about the Parts attrition of 85% for over a year and Graham Light doesn't seem to want to listen.

I've been catching up on some history by watching Diamond P's season reviews from 1986 through 1997 and even on TV the cackle sounds better with the higher percentages!
I know I've said it here a few times but the A/fuel cars sound meaner at idle than the big boys. When they're warming up an A/fuel car and they let out the clutch and grab the brake it sounds so frickin' cool it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!:cool: It makes the big boys cars sound like they're neutered by comparison.

I just can't see the sanctioning body "giving back" anything they've already taken away. If you want to see 90% in a PowerAde motor...... your best bet is to check with you favorite airline for price & availability in July for a long weekend here in beautiful Denver, Colorado.

Maybe allow 100% nitro but put a 30% (or whatever) restriction on the blower overdrive. This way you won't spin the blower too fast (has to make the blower last longer, less heat, etc).

But if the crew chiefs are complaining about parts breakage (along with the team's accounts payable person), maybe NHRA should start listening.

Maybe IHRA should go to 100% leave the points the same way,and get some of the big hitters over there,that there would open Cant fix stupid's eyes.

I know I've said it here a few times but the A/fuel cars sound meaner at idle than the big boys. When they're warming up an A/fuel car and they let out the clutch and grab the brake it sounds so frickin' cool it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!:cool: It makes the big boys cars sound like they're neutered by comparison.

I agree they sound wicked

another in agreement.

I agree at Idle there's a Huge difference, but on the track there's NO Comparison! Listen behind the stands when a pair of A-Fuelers run vs a Pair of TF/FC and it's Night and day!

I agree, put the cars back to at least 90%.

I say bring back 100% , I have read alot of articles and interviews and the crew chiefs seem to agree that 100% with an blower overdrive restriction of about 30% would solve the damage problem . One article I read was about austin coil and he said that the cars just don't sound right and that they need the sound of 100% and the fire in the pipes and that it would do bad things for the classes if they lost that .If anyone knows what those cars need its coil , not only is he the master of performance but he is also the master of putting on a show from his match racing days . I read quite a bit about that darrel russel crash and I heard that alot of people tried getting blaimed for that . People and companies shouldnt be blamed for accidents because it was just that an accident , sometimes accidents happen and you can't do anything about it .

Not to go off-topic, but the crash you mentioned was a freak thing and should have been an incentive to allow the monowing back in competition, not a reduction in nitro. If not for that wayward wing strut Darrell would still be with us today. :mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back