why the animosity towards DRO ? (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
i cant help noticing that alot of posters are quick to criticize this site whenever they publish a story. perhaps i haven't been paying close enuff attention, but do they post multitudes of stories that are not true ? when it comes to lookin’ for drag racing news, two of my favorite stops on the internet is Comp+ and DRO. Both sites display rumors and if these rumors, as such, do not come true than i dont hold anyone accountable because it was reported as a rumor. Maybe someone can refresh my memory on how they earned such disdain from so many posters or perhaps its just a couple posters, as again, i’m not paying that close attention. I find it to be a a very good dragracing site and cant find to much fault with it.

Jeff Burk does nothing but Slam NHRA 24/7, Darr Hawthorne writes some good stuff, but gets in a pissing match on this board with anyone who questions anything he writes about!:rolleyes:

i cant help noticing that alot of posters are quick to criticize this site whenever they publish a story. perhaps i haven't been paying close enuff attention, but do they post multitudes of stories that are not true ? when it comes to lookin’ for drag racing news, two of my favorite stops on the internet is Comp+ and DRO. Both sites display rumors and if these rumors, as such, do not come true than i dont hold anyone accountable because it was reported as a rumor. Maybe someone can refresh my memory on how they earned such disdain from so many posters or perhaps its just a couple posters, as again, i’m not paying that close attention. I find it to be a a very good dragracing site and cant find to much fault with it.

Because DRO has proven most of the stuff it posts or not true let's say 2/10 is there success rate. Comp plus does not post many rumors cause they dont publish what everyone thinks, there success rats is about 8/10 and usually when they are wrong they were on the right path. Comp plus rumors usually hold out to be the truth

Jeff Burk does nothing but Slam NHRA 24/7, Darr Hawthorne writes some good stuff, but gets in a pissing match on this board with anyone who questions anything he writes about!:rolleyes:

That's another reason. If Darr believed in his own writing enough he would not need to be defensive.

I think DRO overall does a good job. Burk does seem to work overtime to bash the NHRA, but, usually his points are valid.

Burk couldnt even keep the points straight in his own AA/FC series and had to have a fan point out the real champion...

Darr and I are pretty good friends and we get into it pretty good sometimes but you can be sure that when he writes something he has spent a pretty good amount of time doing his homework before it goes to print or on the net. Do I agree with the constant NHRA bashing, not at all, But I do have a respect for the work well done even if he does think nostalgia funny cars are the only class in drag racing:D

I like DRO. It covers some things that I don't give a rats behind about, and then covers some things that are not Drag Racing related, like the Boats, European Coverage, Nitro Harley's, etc....

As for Jeff and his team not going into hiding (known as Politically correct) about some of the goings on within the sanctioning bodies, it's their right as journalists to do so........If they hear something or receive an email and verify to the best of their ability and then report, then so be it. DRO is very good about retractions if need be.

At least there is variety rather than the same ol' same Ole stuff about the same ol' same ole people.

In addition, there's no difference than some of the BS that appears in other publications, and when you know the inner workings of the "REAL" Story, then you realize how much BS you're really reading in more places than just singling out DRO........

I like DRO and usually go there first to get the latest. Would rather read rumors and opinionated journalism than that crappy flowery Public Relations stuff that make me want to choke myself...

I mean really, who do these PR/Marketing people think their kidding. Lose a ride or a sponsor to someone else, you can bet that "all is NOT well" with the ones that lost. Its just not in the nature of a competitor to except losing well.

So cut the crap, your insulting our intelligence.

Check out the last 5 Burk's Blast articles, then get back to me!

First things first, I'm not a big fan of Burk, I actually think he's a bit of a big headed ******* (personal reasons) However, I have read those articles and majority of his rants, which sometimes boarder on the same ol are not bashing the NHRA. A lot of the points he makes, he's just giving his opinion on how he'd like some things to be, or questioning 'why' the NHRA isn't doing certain things. If you see that as a 'bashing' you might need to go back and read what he is actually trying to get across.

I like reading DRO, as has already been said, having a website with different stories and rumors is good, get sick of reading the same press releases everywhere else. DRO does make retractions when they get things wrong.

As for Burk, one thing to always keep in the back of your mind when reading his rants is that he was fired by NHRA. He has personal reasons to sharpen that axe he has to grind. That being said, many of the points he makes are valid, or are questions that would be interesting to see how they were answered.

First things first, I'm not a big fan of Burk, I actually think he's a bit of a big headed ******* (personal reasons) However, I have read those articles and majority of his rants, which sometimes boarder on the same ol are not bashing the NHRA. A lot of the points he makes, he's just giving his opinion on how he'd like some things to be, or questioning 'why' the NHRA isn't doing certain things. If you see that as a 'bashing' you might need to go back and read what he is actually trying to get across.

Jeff Burk is convinced if he ran NHRA, attendance and TV ratings would be up 50%! Does anybody wonder where DRO or Comp Plus for that matter would be should NHRA go bankrupt?

Having said that, I have had my gripes with NHRA on a host of reasons! But that doesn't stop me from spending a Ton of $$$ supporting them! I bet Jeff Burk doesn't remember the last time he actually paid to attend an NHRA race!

I like DRO. It covers some things that I don't give a rats behind about, and then covers some things that are not Drag Racing related, like the Boats, European Coverage, Nitro Harley's, etc....

How are nitro Harleys not drag racing related? What else do they do with them?

Registered member said:
How are nitro Harleys not drag racing related? What else do they do with them?
Was wondering about that too. Maybe along the same lines as DROs "European Coverage" not being about drag racing? ;)

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Check out the last 5 Burk's Blast articles, then get back to me!
Hehe, no I'm not disputing the fact that Burk expresses concerns about what he sees as problems with the competency of the NHRA management and such. Never did.

As far as if he is bashing the NHRA in the true sense of the word like is done here at Nitromater, well, conveniently enough, Michael Veskovichs reply up here pretty much sums up my opinion about Burks column as well.

As to the rest of DRO: I like it and read most of it and think that the OPs question is valid as a point for discussion.

And here we are...

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Rumors are just that, rumors and they can hurt sponsors, teams and people. Facts need to be checked instead of just putting things out there. DRO needs to determin if it is just BS before reporting. CP checks facts before putting things on its site.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back