Where are all the TJ/DPR complaints? (1 Viewer)

club

Nitro Member
I seem to remember a lot of moaning & posting after Robert Hight hit the wall in Topeka about his car not getting weighed after the crash and about whether the fuel had been tested and about how it was “allowed” just to let a Force car stay in the show etc, etc.

So where are all those same posters now? Shouldn’t they be asking if TJ’s car went to the scales? Did the fuel get tested? If not, where is the hue and cry for him to have been disqualified? or was this just allowed so a Prudhomme car could stay in the show?

Oh, I get it. They like TJ & Prudhomme and complaining would not fulfill their desire or agenda. Okay, no posting needed. I have it figured out now. Sure had me confused for a minute though.

weighing a car after that wouldn't show real data... When a house burns down the ash tends to weigh less than the house used to... Not an equivalent example but still has merit... I don't think either should be complained about...

CJ Curtsinger

Jim,

I am assuming that you are referring to the thread made after the topeka race about robert hight "skipping the scales" after his 2nd round fire. You don't seem to grasp what was trying to be said. The person who started that thread (whom i have spoken too personally since topeka) was simply trying to say that it is little slide byes here and there when it comes to rules is how things escalate into somebody getting hurt or (God forbid) killed. I am sure that the person who started the topeka thread is a little bashful on responding to this thread because of the scrutiny and criticism they were put under. He broke the cardinal rule on this board. He used a specific example to raise a question of logic or rules violation and people jumped on him for saying what he did, and twisted it into an attack on Robert, which i guarantee it was not. But then again, maybe they will chime in on this thread and give us their opinion again.

I seem to remember a lot of moaning & posting after Robert Hight hit the wall in Topeka about his car not getting weighed after the crash and about whether the fuel had been tested and about how it was “allowed” just to let a Force car stay in the show etc, etc.

So where are all those same posters now? Shouldn’t they be asking if TJ’s car went to the scales? Did the fuel get tested? If not, where is the hue and cry for him to have been disqualified? or was this just allowed so a Prudhomme car could stay in the show?

Oh, I get it. They like TJ & Prudhomme and complaining would not fulfill their desire or agenda. Okay, no posting needed. I have it figured out now. Sure had me confused for a minute though.
Jim..the complaint about Hight's situation originated because of the compromised chassis. I don't recall a major stink about the scales. It does bring up an interesting question though.

TJ didn't hit the wall..

I am sure that the person who started the topeka thread is a little bashful on responding to this thread because of the scrutiny and criticism they were put under.
...or just to tired from actually racing a nitro car over the past weekend to be concerned about what someone is saying on nitromater.

i loved seeing tj win, but you have a great point! whats fair for 1 has to be fair for another.

...or just to tired from actually racing a nitro car over the past weekend to be concerned about what someone is saying on nitromater.

that too :eek: but i didnt wanna have to owe him another beer for giving him away :p

Last edited:
Jim..the complaint about Hight's situation originated because of the compromised chassis. I don't recall a major stink about the scales. It does bring up an interesting question though.

TJ didn't hit the wall..

This tongue-in-cheek post was just that and not directed to the original Hight posting specifically. I did understand and agree with the safety issues raised. But, as I remember it there were a number of "the rules are the rules" gripes and how it should not be allowed just because of who you are etc, etc.

I just noticed there were no complaints this time and thought it was humorous.

Well, skipping the scales is against NHRA rules so following the letter of the law, any car that is burned up or severely damaged after winning a race should be automatically disqualified if that is the case.

Here's a thought... since I understand the fuel check is done before the run, not after, maybe the weigh-in should be done before the run too. Then it wouldn't matter what the car weighed after the body was burned/blown off or the supercharger detonated into many pieces.

Like I said in reply to the original complaint about Hight's car skipping the scales and fuel check, it's routine for NHRA and IHRA officials to waive weight and fuel checks for the winner after a major meltdown. It doesn't matter if it's Team Force or Joe "I bought this car on eBay." In this case, the chassis wasn't compromised, but everybody was fishing for some excuse to DQ Hight's car and somebody threw the weight and fuel check in as a "rule violation." It's not only routine, I think it's covered in the NHRA Policy & Procedures Manual and the procedure is nothing new, it's been that way for years.

NHRA checks the fuel from the barrel valve after the run @ the top end and if a racer thinks a competitors car is light they can go thru the formalities and appeal w/ a small deposit....There has not been a formal appeal since 1993 from a fuel team...They do not challenge each other as it would come back to bite em...There is alot of 'real' trust among the fuel racers and it's a small circle so why make yourself be an outcast over a few dollars/attention??

Like I said in reply to the original complaint about Hight's car skipping the scales and fuel check, it's routine for NHRA and IHRA officials to waive weight and fuel checks for the winner after a major meltdown. It doesn't matter if it's Team Force or Joe "I bought this car on eBay." In this case, the chassis wasn't compromised, but everybody was fishing for some excuse to DQ Hight's car and somebody threw the weight and fuel check in as a "rule violation." It's not only routine, I think it's covered in the NHRA Policy & Procedures Manual and the procedure is nothing new, it's been that way for years.

Aha! The mysterious Policy & Procedures Manual surfaces again! Can an NHRA Member request a copy of this? Maybe download a pdf from NHRA.com!
Sorry . . . Just couldn't resist. However, I'm sure a lot of dues paying members would love to get their hands on this thing. JMHO - Jim

Although that is an interesting thought, almost all (if not all) fuel funny cars are considerably overweight anyways. The minmum weight thing barely comes into play anymore unless you are Hillary Will's size.

I wonder how many of them are within 25 or 30 lbs? Just guessing but I would say few even come close.

I got to say...the statement 'the chassis wasn't compromised' is at best speculation. The heat from that fire was extraordinary. I'm not a metallurgist, but I would think the Chrome moly might of had some heat fatigue at the very least.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back