When Did You Become A 'Mater? (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
Crap... It may have been the Stone Age... Spike showed me this site and I may have drifted occasionally but I never left.

Ghio- when did i get to this party? 2001-02?

Just had my 14th anniversary on the site in February. Think I googled "drag racing forum" and the Mater seemed to fit me the best. Been here almost daily since.

On the original Nitromater, 99% sure Jeannie Allsage was the first member and I was the 2nd that joined. 1999 or 2000. The most popular NHRA message board at the time was on goracing.com. Jerrod messaged us and said he was just starting a message board on his Scotty Cannon themed page (hence the name) and asked us to join. 20+ years later, here we are.

Last edited:
The original reporting was done on Compuserve.com under "RIS", Racing Information Services with Dave Gerrard and someone else who's name escapes me that passed away many years ago. Nitromater started out as a message board for Scotty Cannon fans and became one of the original places for racers and fans to hang out. Many of the big name pro drivers posted here all the time. One by one the aggressiveness of some of the fans constantly challenging the racers drove the racers off. My memory tells me Nitromater did a reset, purge, and then a requirement to register under your actual name so you owned what you posted rather than being anonymous behind some fake name handle. This was all many years ago.

The original reporting was done on Compuserve.com under "RIS", Racing Information Services with Dave Gerrard and someone else who's name escapes me that passed away many years ago. Nitromater started out as a message board for Scotty Cannon fans and became one of the original places for racers and fans to hang out. Many of the big name pro drivers posted here all the time. One by one the aggressiveness of some of the fans constantly challenging the racers drove the racers off. My memory tells me Nitromater did a reset, purge, and then a requirement to register under your actual name so you owned what you posted rather than being anonymous behind some fake name handle. This was all many years ago.
Mike Hollander was the main guru behind RIS. Ed Dykes and Larry Sullivan started the Fast News Network from that group. There was a drag race forum within the RIS category that was pretty good. There were some pretty good discussions during that time and a good mount of racers participated.

Member since July 9, 2006

Bob
IMG_2093.jpg

Last edited:
july 14th of '06........paul, i recall the goracing.com site as well, on a then very slow pc running on aol.
randy, yes i recall having to re-register

2003 I think it was.
I was first on the Snake Racing message board for a while but it shut down in 2003. Someone over there mentioned "nitromater" so I joined here.
Holy cow, has it really been 18 years?! Met a ton of cool people here.

I wanna say 2002 or 3? Also before real names.

Jim Jannard was behind the push for real names.

I have met A LOT of great people thru this site, several of which I am in contact with on a daily basis.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back