What's up with Grubby (1 Viewer)

wilbur

Nitro Member
I consider myself a big Kalitta fan. A fan of the whole team. I think they have some of the best drivers in the sport. I hear driving a funny car, minus a spill plate, is quite difficult ( atta boy Jeff). I just have a couple of questions for you all. I'm pretty sure you would all agree that Dave Grubnic is a top notch driver. He's very informed, when it comes to the mechanics of his car. He is well liked by the fans, and his peers. I'll get to the point. Is there a reason for him to smoke the tires, or shake em lose, at least once every qual. session. I don't have the numbers to back this up, I'm just going on memory. That might be a mistake. It just seems it happens quite often. I wonder why, if you have all things in place, great sponsers, great owner, great parts,great tuners, great driver. What the problem is. Like I said, numbers wise, I don't know the last time Grubby went to the semi's. Or the last time he won a race. I know at times they can run the numbers. They just don't seem to put anything together. I'm sure Dave would tell you, he has the best of everything. But he has got to be getting sick of spinning the tires. I'm sure his sponsers feel the same way. How often can a team be an also ran. I would love to see the tide turn, or their luck change. It just seems something is missing. Who and when does somebody have to answer for their poor showing. And I know there are other teams out there going through the same thing. But I don't know that they have the sponser and team fortitude that Grubby has. I am by no means trying to knock anybody in particular, especially Dave Grubnic. Like I hear often on here, I have met the man, and he seems to be a stand-up human being. I wish the team the best of luck, and MANY SAFE ROUNDS.

Last edited:
My personal opinion, is that they uses Grubbys car as more of a test car for a lack of a better term, and try some different things compared to Doug's car.

Keep in mind that just 2000 feet ago, Dave went the fastest he's been in 3 years, and a few races back in Phoenix, he posted his quickest ET in 3 years. I think Paul's somewhat right - but thanks to my Dad who knew Dave's car owner in Junior High School...I also know a little bit about how the car owner competes and why he still campaigns race cars. I know that he still tunes the car, and still likes to try and whip everybody's azz, each and every time. When Grubnic's car goes - it GOES. Connie Kalitta is going to unleash that car every single time - and I wouldn't want it any other way. :D

Chris, I agree with ya about Connie. But don't you think he'd like to see Daves car cross the finish line first, in the final, with his sponsers name out front. They all love to win, so it's gotta hurt, just a little. And I agree, they probably do test alot with daves ride. But I don't see alot of improvement in Dougs car either. During qualifying yes, but not in eliminations. I'm just wondering, what gives.

I have noticed a sad turn for the worst, with the Kalitta tribe, and it started after "the run." Something happened that evening that put the Michigan crew into a rut they just can't climb out of.

I think they only solution for Kalitta Racing is to pull everything out of the building and transporters, put it on the runway, bring in Dick LaHaie or Tim Richards and start over.

I'm with those who are pulling for some big wins for the Kalitta team. They put so much into our sport and I'd like to see Connie smiling when one of his drivers grabs a Wally and, better yet, a season championship.
I haven't looked at all the numbers, but it seems like all - JFR, all the time in funny car and DSR dominating in T/F.
All of these teams work hard, so it is not a matter of one team being more deserving than another. I think that the sport benefits when effort pays off, from time to time.

I would help pay lahae's salary, if he came back to help conrads tuners ( it would'nt be much help, but hey, I'd be there for em)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back