What makes a track a division track or national event track? (1 Viewer)

NHRA and IHRA have the USA and Canada divided up into divisions, or regions. That track falls into the area that NHRA calls D4. National tracks are the tracks that hold NHRA National events, AKA; "The Big Show", AKA, the races that are on television with Top Fuel, etc.

NHRA Division map;

divisional-map.png

So they mention this track being a division 4 track. What defines divisions or national events as far as tracks go? Is it the size of the pits/grandstands/infrastructure or other parameters? Just wondering

Market, track location, track size for parking/pavement, seating capacity and overall condition of property. Beside that wanting to host a National.

Market, track location, track size for parking/pavement, seating capacity and overall condition of property. Beside that wanting to host a National.
And unfortunately Noise constraints - ingress / egress traffic restrictions and Hotel/Motel accomidations. It can mean Millions for some areas and the Hotels/Motels sometimes make you take nights for the whole event.

I live in a suburb of Denver. The closest national event track will be Las Vegas at close to 800 miles followed by Dallas and St Louis. It sounds promising that Bandimere will get a new track and maybe Kansas City will as well.

I wonder if the new track in Kansas City will be "National Event Worthy"..........

Tulsa has a better chance at getting a National event than a track just starting to push dirt in Odessa. And, the NHRA repeatedly looks past Tulsa.
I thought Tulsa didn't have enough land to meet the 23 acres pit space requirements? Maybe Haney bought up more

My point was, I do not think Flying H will get a National. I don't know how much land they currently have, or how much they have access to, but it looks pretty tight as is.

Now for a Divisional or Regional, I think it's game on. If I remember correctly, KCIR had Divisionals, and that place seemed small, but I was pretty young when I was there.

....... If I remember correctly, KCIR had Divisionals .......
i believe you are correct......this year all the div. 5 divisionals are at only 3 tracks.
makes you wonder how BIR and Rock Falls are not involved with 2023 divisionals/regionals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back