What class is this I know it runs in SS (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member

Can someone please tell me what this class this is.. I know its a Super Stocker, but would like to know what type of engine combination it is... i.e. turbo, supercharged etc... Its the fastest class in SS.. below is the NHRA Index for several SS classes that were right next to it in the list..

SS/AX 09.85
SS/BX 10.85
SS/CX 11.10

>>SS/DX 09.35 <<

SS/AS 09.90
SS/BS 10.05

Thanks..

those were some of the old modified classes. when nhra dropped modified ,they put some of the classes into super stock and others into comp.

It's a V-6 w/turbo class. About 7 or 8 years ago I remember someone put together a turbo Buick Regal for the class and set the record but I haven't seen them in a while. They were VERY fast but not like Buddy Ingersoll's bad Buick since they carry more weight than he did in Comp. I'm not sure about the chassis requirments but I think it might be similar to Comp's super modified class. I also see there is no current record for the class. There also used to be a SS racer named Joe Covert that ran a Buick in the SS/X classes but I can't remember if he was in C or D.

It's a V-6 w/turbo class. About 7 or 8 years ago I remember someone put together a turbo Buick Regal for the class and set the record but I haven't seen them in a while. They were VERY fast but not like Buddy Ingersoll's bad Buick since they carry more weight than he did in Comp. I'm not sure about the chassis requirments but I think it might be similar to Comp's super modified class. I also see there is no current record for the class. There also used to be a SS racer named Joe Covert that ran a Buick in the SS/X classes but I can't remember if he was in C or D.

Right Scott, and going way way back, Keith Lynch also drove one of the SS/AX, SS/BX V-6 cars. It was at the height of the Buick V-6 development with lots of technology filtering down from Indy car development and they were very fast indeed.

I "think" it was Ron Fruchey (?) or John Gallina. I think they were Duttweiller powered Grand Nationals.

http://www.bgnra.org/Ron_Burnout.jpg
http://www.bgnra.org/wpeB.jpg

Last edited:

Can someone please tell me what this class this is.. I know its a Super Stocker, but would like to know what type of engine combination it is... i.e. turbo, supercharged etc... Its the fastest class in SS.. below is the NHRA Index for several SS classes that were right next to it in the list..

SS/AX 09.85
SS/BX 10.85
SS/CX 11.10

>>SS/DX 09.35 <<

SS/AS 09.90
SS/BS 10.05

Thanks..

The MX classes are for four- and six-cylinder cars. DX allows turbos. Cars in these classes are allowed tube chassis and fiberglass body parts.

The AS, BS, CS classes are considered "modified stock" and have engine rules which are more liberal than traditional Super Stock or GT classes. The modified classes (SS/AM, etc.) are even more liberal, allowing, for instance, multiple carburetors. These classes are similar to Super Mod classes that run in Comp. Eliminator.

All of the classes mentioned here are classified by pounds per cubic inch. Comparatively, the traditional Super Stock and GT classes are classified by pounds per NHRA-factored horsepower.

The MX classes are for four- and six-cylinder cars. DX allows turbos. Cars in these classes are allowed tube chassis and fiberglass body parts.

The AS, BS, CS classes are considered "modified stock" and have engine rules which are more liberal than traditional Super Stock or GT classes. The modified classes (SS/AM, etc.) are even more liberal, allowing, for instance, multiple carburetors. These classes are similar to Super Mod classes that run in Comp. Eliminator.

All of the classes mentioned here are classified by pounds per cubic inch. Comparatively, the traditional Super Stock and GT classes are classified by pounds per NHRA-factored horsepower.

Scott thanks for the very "informative reply" I learned some new things today :) I never knew SS cars were factored by LB per CI... I always thought they were done by HP..

John Gallina ran the turbo GN, and it was, and possibly still is, the only SS car to ever run in the 7's. I think he did it at a northwest divisional event a few years ago. I know it went to the Barrett-Jackson auction about 2 years ago, but I don't know if it sold.

I think that I read somewhere that it did sell and they took a big hit on it since BJ is a no-reserve auction. I think that you're right about him being the only 7 second SS car and I think it was at Mission B.C.

Yes, thinking back a little bit after I posted, I think it sold for somewhere in the 40k range. And Mission BC sounds right too, that would be the place to do it, judging by the numbers there every year.

True, but those and the Buick I would not consider a real SS cars. The Buick ran cylinder heads and a lot of other parts that never saw the line. AM was modified considerably too. A true SS car would run production pieces.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back