Whack the Throttle. (1 Viewer)

BOO BOO

Nitro Member
Talking about 'Whacking the Throttle " seen a interview with Del Worsham where he said they pulled the clutch apart and there was no difference in the clutch whether they WTT or not. This past weekend seen Tim Wilkerson whack the throttle ( after the thrash to get to the finals) Could the tide be turning back to WTT ?

Nothing like a dry hop after the burn out for all classes even the local bracket racers.
I've posted this video before, it's just bitchin. Saw "Lil John" a number of times at
Seattle in the 70s and 80s. Remember when John drove the "Blue Max" for Beadle.
Turn it up! This is what NHRA.TV should sound like!

1663774032730.png

AA/FC "Lil John" in the seat. "Blue Max" fuel flopper

Last edited:
NHRA should Come up with some kind of program where they have a few of the teams have like a “show car” or a few warm-up only cars maybe somewhere cordoned off in the pits. And a few times throughout the day, they start them up whack them a few times, get some nitro in the air and then that’s it. Those particular cars never actually go down the track…. All they do is create some excitement during times of lull. Or if there was some kind of incentive program you could actually have specialized cars that only show up for that purpose. I mean, The drivers and cars that are there to race are there for that specific reason. This would be like almost some kind of another category or something. I don’t know?? Just thinking out loud.

NHRA should Come up with some kind of program where they have a few of the teams have like a “show car” or a few warm-up only cars maybe somewhere cordoned off in the pits. And a few times throughout the day, they start them up whack them a few times, get some nitro in the air and then that’s it. Those particular cars never actually go down the track…. All they do is create some excitement during times of lull. Or if there was some kind of incentive program you could actually have specialized cars that only show up for that purpose. I mean, The drivers and cars that are there to race are there for that specific reason. This would be like almost some kind of another category or something. I don’t know?? Just thinking out loud.
Seems like an awful lot of trouble and added expense just for a throttle whack that lasts a nanosecond. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but if in fact they have been proven to not do any harm to the clutch setup, makes more sense for teams to just start to add a whack during their warmup, which seems to be happening more.

I've posted this video before, it's just bitchen. Saw "Lil John" a number of times at
Seattle in the 70s and 80s. Remember when John drove the "Blue Max" for Beadle.
Turn it up! This is what NHRA.TV should sound like!

View attachment 11393
AA/FC "Lil John" in the seat. "Blue Max" fuel flopper

Steve Plueger built my first TA/FC in the late 1980's. You can see him in the white T-Shirt looking over Lombardo's car, also built by Steve. Makes me a little sad knowing we lost him a few years ago. I've caught myself more than once thinking of calling Steve or dropping by to see him at his house in La Mirada. :(

This has been done for many years at a lot of the NHRA races. They're called "Cackle Cars". I'm sure most people on this site are quite familiar with them. They are fun to see and put on a great show during the weekend.

I have thought for years that the reason teams stopped doing throttle wacks is because "they stopped doing them". They used to do them to seat the clutch. Then somewhere along the way some crew chief determined they weren't necessary. So monkey see, monkey do and everyone in the fuel pits quit doing them. In other words, they simply fell out of fashion. It has really made the fire-ups a Big Yawn and a non-event. There are few things like the excitement generated in the pits when the teams start warming up the cars and everyone started wacking the throttles all over the pits. Sure be great if that came back into fashion. What's wrong with pleasing the spectators a bit?

As I said above, for real, old school fire ups with many, many throttle wacks, check out some Cackle Cars if there are some on display at your local NHRA national event, or attend the CA Hot Rod Reunion in October in Bakersfield for a real thrill and walk down memory lane.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back