up to speed (1 Viewer)

wilbur

Nitro Member
Good evening fellow race fans. I,m not sure if this is the right forum, or area, to be posting this, so bare with me. For many years I thought I was pretty up to speed on nitro drag racing. How wrong I was. Since finding nitromater, and reading all that my fellow maters know that I don,t, I was aghast. I love nitro racing as much as the next person. But my knowledge of the sport, is sorely lacking. So I,m hoping I could get you folks to answer a few questions for me. Please no giggleing as you read this. Here go,s. What is the spray I see coming from the top of what I assume is a nitrous car. I assume it is actual nitrous. Is it excess. During warm-ups in the pits, on the fuel cars, I always thought they we,re looking for leaks, parts falling off, and such. Is that the case. I am also wondering what the difference between a blown car, and an injected car. I,m thinking injected means ,ambient air is forced into the engine by mechanical means. And blown cars are simply supplied air thru the scoop. I,m pretty sure I,m wrong on this one. This really hurts my ego , to have to ask these things. Wait ,I have more. Can someone run me thru the starting line ritual,I understand staging, and removing the throttle stop, turning on puters. I know, I,m long winded.Any help here, would be welcomed. Is there a tried & true way, to catch the teams firing the motor,s in the pit,s. Thank you all for your time, and expertise.

You have reached the area for people to answer your questions! Bear with them as they are diehard fanatics ( as am I). The sun rises and sets with nitro- ah the smell of nitro in the morning!!
The spray you see from nitrous cars is liquid nitrous. They are purging the lines of possible ice, or water, from the lines to the engine from bottles of liquid nitrous that should turn to vapor.
An injected car uses ambient air pressure, normal air pressure, to feed the engine.
A supercharged, blown engine, uses a mechanical device, usually belt driven, to pressurize the air into the engine.
A turbo charged engine uses an exhaust driven vane to pressurize the air.
You will learn a lot from these members!!!!
WELCOME

Lee
Nitroclovers

The nitrous is set up to hit the intake plenum in liquid form along with fuel in liquid form, prior to the run you want to make sure it is in a liquid state up to the purge valve at least.

The big myth on nitrous is that it is explosive. That is wrong, all of the power comes from the addition of race gas. When nitrous heats up to around 460 degrees it separates into nitrogen and oxygen (in roughly a 2/3 nitrogen and 1/3 oxygen ratio, both weight and volume) . . . normal air is roughly 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen (plus those pesky 415 parts per MILLION of global warming CO2) . . . So now assuming you've got liquid NOS sucked down into the cylinder and assuming you've shot in an appropriate ratio of additional fuel you have cheated your actual displacement by sucking more horsepower producing fuel/oxygen that you would with just carbs. The piston rises, and bang, more horsepower.

When you see blown cars in the same class as injected cars, you are typically seeing a blown car running on 100% alcohol verses an ambient pressure injected car running on a mixture of nitromethane and alcohol (mainly nitro) . . . so the total power output is theoretically comparable.

Good evening fellow race fans. I,m not sure if this is the right forum, or area, to be posting this, so bare with me. For many years I thought I was pretty up to speed on nitro drag racing. How wrong I was. Since finding nitromater, and reading all that my fellow maters know that I don,t, I was aghast. I love nitro racing as much as the next person. But my knowledge of the sport, is sorely lacking. So I,m hoping I could get you folks to answer a few questions for me. Please no giggleing as you read this. Here go,s. What is the spray I see coming from the top of what I assume is a nitrous car. I assume it is actual nitrous. Is it excess. During warm-ups in the pits, on the fuel cars, I always thought they we,re looking for leaks, parts falling off, and such. Is that the case. I am also wondering what the difference between a blown car, and an injected car. I,m thinking injected means ,ambient air is forced into the engine by mechanical means. And blown cars are simply supplied air thru the scoop. I,m pretty sure I,m wrong on this one. This really hurts my ego , to have to ask these things. Wait ,I have more. Can someone run me thru the starting line ritual,I understand staging, and removing the throttle stop, turning on puters. I know, I,m long winded.Any help here, would be welcomed. Is there a tried & true way, to catch the teams firing the motor,s in the pit,s. Thank you all for your time, and expertise.

welcome, you are among your own kind now, Ask and it shall be answered.

Have fun

If any of you die hard nitro fans need a fix this weekend, we have the Scorpion 5 at the d Dallas autorama.We will be firing it up on 95% NITRO at 12:00, 3:00, and 7:00 on Saturday, and 3:00 on Sunday.

During warm-ups in the pits, on the fuel cars, I always thought they we,re looking for leaks, parts falling off, and such. Is that the case.

you definately do a little bit of that, you also wanna check the timing and set the idle and adjust the barrel valve to where you want it

Mike, as a long, L O N G, time nitro fan, if you like to catch the nitro warm-ups, I find they like to do it about an hour before they are to go to the lanes.

This puts a little heat in the motor, and if they DO find any leaks they have time to fix them.

(btw) check yer messages.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back