TV Announcer Dream Team? (1 Viewer)

club

Nitro Member
So, who would be your dream team of announcers for the TV broadcast?

Here is a start, in no particular order:
Bob Frey
Alan Reinhart
Dave McClelland
Steve Evans

Heres a classic Steve Evans and John Force interview and a snippet of eye candy at the end for a bonus. YouTube - old_school_drag_racing3

Personally I would go with the 2005 ESPN team of Marty Reid, Mike Dunn, Dave Rieff, and Gary Georald. I thought Marty was excellent the last few years he was on, I think if he did stick and ball sports he would be as big as anyone. I've always thought Mike provided interesting commentary and have enjoyed listening to him throughout his time at ESPN. Dave is very good at covering the pits and providing follow up stories to what is happening between rounds. Gary has always had a smooth delivery and been a plesant listen from the top end.

So, who would be your dream team of announcers for the TV broadcast?

Here is a start, in no particular order:
Bob Frey
Alan Reinhart
Dave McClelland
Steve Evans

Heres a classic Steve Evans and John Force interview and a snippet of eye candy at the end for a bonus. YouTube - old_school_drag_racing3

okay, my dream team.... me with dunn
and no I can't pronounce vandergruff... nor half the names in pro stock cars or bikes... my problem would be dropping F-bombs.... as in flippin' unreal....

personnally, I like Alan doing Pros... I noticed he did them over the PA at both Bristol and Chi-town after the rain delays.

I find that Bob's stic is getting old... guess only so many news jokes after listening to the last 56 races...

d'kid

Dunn and Bazemore in the booth , with a visit from a team owner every other week .

Frye and McClelland in the pits plus an occassional Big Daddy visit .

Skuza and Millican at the top end , or just Scelzi alone .

I guess you can hide Page at the scales , another reason to pass with an excuse .

Reiff and Evans floating all over picking up the slack .

Compton and Graham no where near the grounds , personna non grotta . Please do not sell these clowns a ticket , ever . Thats as close as they should get . Maybe even ban them from getting the lousy television coverage some how . Any one know a cable guy ? Maybe the "official" cable provider ...........

Dunn and Bazemore in the booth , with a visit from a team owner every other week .

Frye and McClelland in the pits plus an occassional Big Daddy visit .

Skuza and Millican at the top end , or just Scelzi alone .

I guess you can hide Page at the scales , another reason to pass with an excuse .

Reiff and Evans floating all over picking up the slack .

Compton and Graham no where near the grounds , personna non grotta . Please do not sell these clowns a ticket , ever . Thats as close as they should get . Maybe even ban them from getting the lousy television coverage some how . Any one know a cable guy ? Maybe the "official" cable provider ...........

Now THAT'S kinda funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

any dream team starts and ends with the Man Mr Dave Mcclelland. I have been lucky to grow up in the Detroit area and listening to Ernie Harwell call Tiger games. To me Mr Mcclelland belongs in the discussion of greatest announcers all time in any sport.

Beyond that give me Alan and John K doing interviews. Rotate a mic between Clay, Scelzi and John Force and let them loose in the pits. Let Dunn and Reif sit in the booth.

To me, Steve Evans and Big Mac are the voice of NHRA. I still remember calling the Castrol GTX NHRA HOtline!

Re: Dream Team?

Please don't forget John Kiernan on any ESPN "dream team".

Absolutely, Darr! John Kernan is a huge asset to any broadcast we are fortunate enough to have him on. A great broadcaster with the enthusiasm for the action that only a true-blue drag racing fan could possess.

Speaking of John Kernan, when are we going to see him again? John, are you out there? What is your upcoming event schedule?

I remember when Bernie Partridge did it all by himself. One of the very best. Mac at his game best, perhaps.

Bernie Partridge
Steve Evans

That's all you need.

If you've ever been to the Street Car Nationals, ADRL, NMCA, etc. and heard Al Tucci, I've love to see him do a ESPN broadcast. That man has so much infectious personality its not even funny.

I'd also love to see a woman mixed in there too... ;)

...I'd also love to see a woman mixed in there too... ;)

I guess it's the old "Be careful what you wish for" thing, but one of the very best I've ever heard was Melanie Troxel doing color for the fuel classes at Denver one year.

She was only available since it was the period when Mel was no longer racing alcohol and was looking for a fuel ride. Though she was absolutely that good in the booth, I have to admit I'd much rather see her on the track.

Jackie Bryce has to lead the pack. Her class doesn't get the close attention of the others so a lot of people don't think of her when they are discussing really good coverage.

If you can imagine Austin Coil/Warren Johnson knowledge paired with a Eric Medlin/Larry Morgan personality, you'd get pretty close.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back