Topeka (1 Viewer)

Just won a 3 year long residential municipal tax fight with local government.
Advice: He ought to be able to make a case for reduction if - in fact - the business doesn't support the economic value the government is assessing. Certainly takes patience, a good lawyer, and skilled appraiser.

yup this is a property tax appraisal war ... you have to threaten stuff like this particularly when the government has a "highest and best use" taxation standard. this place is surrounded by very sparsely populated land, but the tax authority acts like this for non-ag use land way too often

Well, when you pull the property tax records he is delinquent on his taxes. From that standpoint, it makes me wonder if it is a financial issue and he is fighting it by saying he shouldn't have to pay because of [insert reason here]. Tax records are public information and from a business standpoint (depending on the value of the improvements) the property tax figures should have been included in the business plan.

I don't like paying taxes any more than the next guy, but each state has it's tax structure and it is all considered in the course of business. Every company could conceivably argue that "I don't owe taxes because I indirectly contribute to the economy".

His money would be better spent to see if there are some zoning changes he could make along the way with certain parcels to at least reduce the burden, or at least explore if he can negotiate a payment in lieu of taxes that may be less but consistent without regard for the value of improvements made to the facility.

At the end of the day it's up to him to decide if it's financially viable to raze a facility, sell the facility and then purchase land and construct another one elsewhere, as he claims.

Well, when you pull the property tax records he is delinquent on his taxes. From that standpoint, it makes me wonder if it is a financial issue and he is fighting it by saying he shouldn't have to pay because of [insert reason here]. Tax records are public information and from a business standpoint (depending on the value of the improvements) the property tax figures should have been included in the business plan.

I don't like paying taxes any more than the next guy, but each state has it's tax structure and it is all considered in the course of business. Every company could conceivably argue that "I don't owe taxes because I indirectly contribute to the economy".

His money would be better spent to see if there are some zoning changes he could make along the way with certain parcels to at least reduce the burden, or at least explore if he can negotiate a payment in lieu of taxes that may be less but consistent without regard for the value of improvements made to the facility.

At the end of the day it's up to him to decide if it's financially viable to raze a facility, sell the facility and then purchase land and construct another one elsewhere, as he claims.
Property tax structure in Kansas is a mess, there is no consistancy. Seven months out of the year this facility brings in revenue for the city. The city has no other entity that comes close to that. It takes 1 person in city council to ruin a good thing. This should be work out fairly easy if city wants to keep facility open.

The county that I live in for 25 yrs has taxed my property to the point that I have paid in property taxes more than it cost me to buy property build home and shop. Something wrong with that picture.

if in fact almost half a million a year in taxes is exorbitantly high, then close the doors. take that money amortized over a period of years, and built a new facility closer to kansas city. especially if
a new local gov't. would wrap it's arms around the revenue generated by it. F the topeka local gov't. nothing gets me more pissed off than stories like this. why does gov't always think they
have to live just as nice as the those who bust their balls in the private sector? wow. i'm just pissed typing this! sorry for the rant

I’ve been to a few different national event tracks and Topeka, from a fan’s perspective, is my least favorite. It’s a long walk from the parking lot. Plus the layout of the grandstands is terrible. If you’re sitting down low, all you can see is the roof of the car as it goes downtrack.
The first time I went there, my truck was broken into. The lowlifes took all my ice cold beer.
If the guy builds a new track, I hope he does not copy Heartland Park’s layout.

1st, why is he airing this in public? Is he just trying to justify higher ticket prices and entry fees? Sesame Place, a theme park near me which was owned by Anhueser Busch at the time tried to get a tax discount and threatened to move. At the meeting the public said let them move, no tax break because we found out it would take them 20 years to recover the cost of the move, they stayed in same location. You cannot blame them for trying.

As a everyday Joe, any improvements I have done to a property, I had to pay a higher taxes. Maybe i should try for a tax break

1st, why is he airing this in public? Is he just trying to justify higher ticket prices and entry fees? Sesame Place, a theme park near me which was owned by Anhueser Busch at the time tried to get a tax discount and threatened to move. At the meeting the public said let them move, no tax break because we found out it would take them 20 years to recover the cost of the move, they stayed in same location. You cannot blame them for trying.

As a everyday Joe, any improvements I have done to a property, I had to pay a higher taxes. Maybe i should try for a tax break
I believe a lot of rumors were already out there. I don’t blame him for telling his side IF he was approached with questions. Sounds as if he feels it was a bait and switch situation where he came in and saved a track that was in obvious trouble then they decided to continuously raise his taxes after a prior agreement to lower them.
One thing I find strange is it looks like the stories on this have been edited since I read them first with a lot of numbers and supposed situations removed. One would think if there was a prior agreement on lower taxes it would be in writing. I would never work on a handshake agreement with that much money involved. Trust me I’ve lived in a city where it was run by a small group of families that would heavily tax the paper boys if they could, lol.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back