Tires (1 Viewer)

pete

Nitro Member
I know that the fuel cars must run Goodyears, but do the Pro Stock and Alky cars have to also?

I know that the fuel cars must run Goodyears, but do the Pro Stock and Alky cars have to also?

I don't think the pro-stock cars do, it's just that nobody has devleoped a good alternative. The Alky guys can run on what they want to. I think some guys run Goodyears. I know that Hoosier has a great tire. I believe Frank manzo runs them.

I think WJ tested with some Hoosiers a few years ago, and NHRA flipped out. Maybe someone else knows more of the specifics. Maybe P/S has to run Goodyears...

P/S Do as the others do...:D I'm not sure if Hoosier even makes a P/S tire...
Top Alky- Goodyear- Hoosier- Mickey Thompson...
Toyo is/was making an Alky tire, however you may want to talk to Steve Federlin about how that worked out...;)
O.K. maybe not!! I'm just glad he limped away from that tire test that failed...:eek:

Last edited:
I think WJ tested with some Hoosiers a few years ago, and NHRA flipped out. Maybe someone else knows more of the specifics. Maybe P/S has to run Goodyears...

That is right... the NHRA reacted by mandating that the front and rear tires must be from the same manufacturer... next race WJ had some Hoosier fronts on it.

I don't think they ever shaped up to the Goodyears performance wise though.

That is right... the NHRA reacted by mandating that the front and rear tires must be from the same manufacturer... next race WJ had some Hoosier fronts on it.

I don't think they ever shaped up to the Goodyears performance wise though.

If I remember correctly, WJ switched back and forth between GY and Hoosier that year, and regardless of which tire he ran, he ran them with all of the lettering blacked out. Am I remembering correctly?

Toyo is/was making an Alky tire, however you may want to talk to Steve Federlin about how that worked out...;)
O.K. maybe not!! I'm just glad he limped away from that tire test that failed...:eek:

You know Ray, I bet the Toyo engineers are all over that deal to find out what caused the failure and to make whatever changes are necessary to see that it doesn't happen again. Has Goodyear been that diligent(sp?) over the past 5 years?

The Hoosier tire is what IHRA pro stockers run isn't it? I think that's why WJ was playing around with it. The huge motors in IHRA bang the tires a lot harder on the launch and I think Warren was looking to see if they would improve his. That said, the two (Goodyear/Hoosier) tires are very different in construction and compound as they serve different masters.

You know Ray, I bet the Toyo engineers are all over that deal to find out what caused the failure and to make whatever changes are necessary to see that it doesn't happen again. Has Goodyear been that diligent(sp?) over the past 5 years?

You're not giving Goodyear enough credit. I don't think they (or Hoosier) have ever had a tire fail like that on an alcohol car. Toyo wasn't ready to move up from sport compact.

Most blown alcohol powered cars run a Hoosier tire...BAD, TAFC, and Pro-Mods. The AFD guys like the Goodyears. Hoosier makes a Pro Stock size/weight tire but it hasn't gained widespread use. Mickey Thompson is also another player in the game. They've developed a nice tire for a blown alcohol combination. I've seen them on some IHRA Pro Stock cars, too.

Top Fuel and Funny Car are the only "spec" tire classes in NHRA.

... Toyo wasn't ready to move up from sport compact.
Toyo has been producing more than just sport compact tires for more than a couple years now. Tom Bayer won the Division 7 championships in S/C and S/G running on Toyos last year and has been running them since, I think sometime in 2004. And the Toyo engineers had been working for a long time on their Alky tire.

Toyo has been producing more than just sport compact tires for more than a couple years now. Tom Bayer won the Division 7 championships in S/C and S/G running on Toyos last year and has been running them since, I think sometime in 2004. And the Toyo engineers had been working for a long time on their Alky tire.

Winning with Toyo tires in S/C & S/G is good for Toyo, but in no way show that they are ready to move up to Alcohol. You state that they've been working on an alky tire for a "long time"....Uh, maybe NOT long enough. I have nothing against Toyo and wish them luck producing a quality tire for alcohol cars. If they do I'm sure it will sell.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back