This ought to be interesting for Larry Dixon (1 Viewer)

A lot of weird decisions have been made in the sport ever since Steve Gibbs retired as competition director. Gibbs was able to look at things from a common sense point of view. Maybe it is lawyers but these days its all liability and money.

By the way (yes millennials, that is BTW spelled the old fashioned way), didn't Leah Pritchett run the Dodge Demon in the 1/4 at 9.65 without proper safety equipment at Gainesville...a sanctioned track?
No ban for her from competition.....hmmm
If the car Leah ran in those match races ran under 10.00 ET, It would have the extra pipe and be certified for sure after all the publicity the car got.

I'm only talking about the Demon she drove for Dodge, the 9.65 run that garnered the NHRA letter banning the car from competition as built

I must be missing something. The car was on display and is an exhibition vehicle. It's not like he was trying to cheat in competition. At Indy every year they have many old time cars on display, some come out to do cackle fest. I bet some of those have old stickers on them too. Is the NHRA going to ban them? If IHRA allows Dixon to race this there, is NHRA going to ban him even longer? If he keep the car in his garage is it still a ban-able offense.

I can't see any way that the NHRA did anything right here. If they were angered about an old sticker being on a display vehicle, fine then say something. But to go all Hulk smash on this is supreme overkill and makes them look incredible silly, short sighted and incompetent. Do they sit around at meetings wondering how they can make themselves and our sport look bad?

"That's our sticker! Gimme gimme gimme! Can't let anyone see that...quick, swallow it, walk away quietly and none will be the wiser"

I must be missing something. The car was on display and is an exhibition vehicle. It's not like he was trying to cheat in competition. At Indy every year they have many old time cars on display, some come out to do cackle fest. I bet some of those have old stickers on them too. Is the NHRA going to ban them? If IHRA allows Dixon to race this there, is NHRA going to ban him even longer? If he keep the car in his garage is it still a ban-able offense.

I can't see any way that the NHRA did anything right here. If they were angered about an old sticker being on a display vehicle, fine then say something. But to go all Hulk smash on this is supreme overkill and makes them look incredible silly, short sighted and incompetent. Do they sit around at meetings wondering how they can make themselves and our sport look bad?
The car was on display with the sticker and he was selling tickets for rides. I'm thinking NHRA had a problem with people assuming they had certified the two seater, which they hadn't. If the tag had been removed the NHRA wouldn't be able to say anything.

What Murf builds is irrelevant and ignorance by Jr. cannot be claimed here. The Dixons' are old family friends of my family and I do not want to wish any ill will towards Larry Jr., but if he didn't know what he could or couldn't do, then he should have know before taking as far as it went. I'm not claiming willful intent, but some common sense should have been used here.

Going forward, just run it down an airport runway and take NHRA out of the loop.

On that test run, maybe Larry should have had a .130 light and steered the car toward the wall. It would have been ok then.

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Art Arfons and his two seater jet car...

geneobit.JPG
Pence_Sean_Rolfe_killed_article_1.gif
Pence_Sean_Rolfe_article1.png
jet_no_8.jpg

Last edited:
Bobby Bennett said it best in an interview with Wes Buck on FB. This could’ve all been handled very easily in private, with no need for a press release and all this uproar. Not his exact words but you get the idea.

What Murf builds is irrelevant and ignorance by Jr. cannot be claimed here. The Dixons' are old family friends of my family and I do not want to wish any ill will towards Larry Jr., but if he didn't know what he could or couldn't do, then he should have know before taking as far as it went. I'm not claiming willful intent, but some common sense should have been used here.

Going forward, just run it down an airport runway and take NHRA out of the loop.

Are you serious right now, Gino? If that car was built from the ground up, I could see your point. But this was put together with an existing, former Vandergriff chassis, and you're telling me that couldn't have been overlooked in all the hoopla? Everybody makes it sound like those stickers are the size of circus banners and all eyes are on them. On top of that, I'm willing to bet that NOBODY that was ooh-ing and ahh-ing over that thing and fantasizing about taking a ride even remotely noticed whether or not the car was certified, much less questioned it. I swear these folks in Glendora couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat in the middle of the damn Atlantic.

It's been beat to death everywhere this subject is being discussed, including this forum; it could've and SHOUL'VE been handled differently by the NHRA. Get over the sour grapes of the Gainesville issue, act like grown men and start making better decisions for this sport, for Christ's sake.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back