These are the groups/artistes l've seen in concert. Who have you seen in concert? (1 Viewer)

Re: These are the groups/artistes l've seen in concert. Who have you seen in concert

When did this thread get fired back up again?
Interesting how a sound man/sound system or a certain day can make or break a concert.
Best concert I have ever been to; Flotsam & Jetsam.
Worst concert I have ever been to; Flotsam & Jetsam eight weeks later.

Re: These are the groups/artistes l've seen in concert. Who have you seen in concert

When did this thread get fired back up again?
Interesting how a sound man/sound system or a certain day can make or break a concert.
Best concert I have ever been to; Flotsam & Jetsam.
Worst concert I have ever been to; Flotsam & Jetsam eight weeks later.

I'll agree, Buzz... I feel for both the Front of House engineer (who mixes what you hear) as well as the Monitor engineer (who mixes what the BAND hears..).

Bad cabinets, overtemp amplifers and crappy sound consoles can be the death knell for an FOH guy, because every person in the audience will notice it, and some (F*@&in idiots) will actually come over and complain about it...

Trust me, there are no touring sound engineers that don't know it doesn't sound good when it doesn't. And the really good ones are trying to fix the problem usually when some numbnuts comes over screaming about how "the vocals aren't loud enough" or "the guitars sound too tinny".. It's like someone coming to you in the lanes and telling you that the wind is making them cold and because of that you should change the pill in your setup. Yeah, it probably makes sense, but you also probably knew that already..

Monitor guys have it even worse (industry joke: What's the difference between a monitor guy and a toilet? The toilet has to deal with one a$$hole at a time..).. If the band has spent the entire day drinking Jagermeisteer by the pool, and then comes in bitching about their monitors being too loud (due to the hangover), that is usually followed in short order by them not being able to hear what is being played, causing them to suck... It is the number one reason I don't do sound..

The best punters (know-it-all fans) are the ones that come up to me (the Lighting Director) and tell me that its too loud/not loud enough... If I like the sound man, I usually take a few of the unused lighting faders on my desk, move them around a bit, turn to them and ask them if that's better. Usually that gets a thumbs up. If not, I just put my hands up and tell them to fix it themselves..:p That is usually followed by the same look that you would get if you handed someone your helmet and told them to strap into your flopper...:D

Last edited:

Family Values Tour
Metallica (minus James who had a back injury)
Korn
System of a Down
Kid Rock :rolleyes:
Powerman 5000

System of a Down again
with some other bands I cant remember but they sucked

Sevendust
Fuel (yup that one sucked)

Freakers Ball Dallas '03
Marilyn Manson :eek:
Staind
Sevendust
Some other bands

A few more here and there but my favorite band to see live is a formally local Dallas band called Fair To Midland www.myspace.com/fairtomidland they are amazing to me anyways. I have never seen a band that preforms live like they do.

If I like the sound man, I usually take a few of the unused lighting faders on my desk, move them around a bit, turn to them and ask them if that's better. Usually that gets a thumbs up.

LMAO!!!! That's funny!!!:D

I started out early in life with my mom's influence. There were a ton of multi-band mega stadium shows. And I saw a ton of the 80's hair bands in small venues before they hit it big. The following is my list in no particular order... and I'm sure there are some I have forgotten for any number of reasons... LOL :rolleyes:

Three Dog Night
Steppenwolf
The Rolling Stones... a couple times
Beach Boys... more than once
Heart... three or four times
Kiss... first time in 1977, about twelve other times since
Triumph
Uriah Heap
Todd Rundgren
Ted Nugent... first time in 1981, about fourteen times since
The Scorpions... three or four times, opened for Nugent in '81
AC/DC... four or five times
Loverboy
Foghat,
REO Speedwagon
John Cougar
Rainbow
Pat Benatar
ZZ Top
Van Halen... not Van Hagar
Montrose... with Sammy Hagar
Journey
Accept
Motley Crue
Guns & Roses
Aerosmith
Judas Priest
Boston
Warrant
The Cult
Winger
Twisted Sister
Ratt
Poison
Cinderella
Bon Jovi
White Snake
Black Crows
Cheap Trick
Def Leopard
Cinderella
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

... my brain is hurting from trying to remember any more. I haven't attended a concert in more than 9 years. So suffice it to say I had wasted a lot of time and money in my teens, 20's and early 30's!!

I hope I can see RUSH this year, I really hope they do 2112 in it's ENTIRETY.

Sorry to burst your bubble Samuel but the last time they did all of 2112 was in '97 on the T4E tour and they said that was it. The last 2 tours they've gone back to the normal little medley. :(

This tour will be the 9th tour I've seen them on.
Hoping to post my list this weekend.

I forgot about Rush!

I went and saw Insane Clown Posse once.

I think the final body count after ICP was 17. 13 of those due to stab wounds infected with soft drink, and the other 4 due to inhalation of poisonous face paint fumes.

"My first concert was Cheap Trick and the Michael Schenker Group back in 1980"

Dude, I was at that show at the Paramont.

Here's a short list.....
Bob Segar, the other night, Journey, Heart, Rush, Eagles, Cher, Robert Plant, the Who in 81 and last year, Stone, Styx, Aerowsmith (the worst ever) Triumph, April Wine, Fleetwood Mac, Kansas (just awful but still a favorite) Quarterflash, Loverboy, Blue Oyster Cult, Forigener, the Rockets, Bad Company, Damn Yankees, Bruce Springstien (a big disappointmentdidn't do any Born in the USA) Rainbow, UFO, VH, Sammy Hagar.

AND MY FIRST SHOW WAS Kiss and Cheap Trick in 1978

... Aerowsmith (the worst ever) Triumph, April Wine, Fleetwood Mac, Kansas (just awful but still a favorite) Quarterflash, Loverboy, Blue Oyster Cult, Forigener, the Rockets, Bad Company, Damn Yankees, Bruce Springstien (a big disappointmentdidn't do any Born in the USA) Rainbow, UFO, VH, Sammy Hagar.

AND MY FIRST SHOW WAS Kiss and Cheap Trick in 1978
Rich,

Couldn't agree with you more if you are talking prior to 1990. After seeing Aerosmith in '79 I swore I'd never see them live again. But Ted Nugent was opening for them in 1990 so I went... I was pleasantly surprised how much better they were then... without the drugs and booze!

You also reminded me of some others I forgot... April Wine, Kansas, BOC, Foreigner, Damn Yankees...

and I'm sure there are still some I've forgotten. There so many I saw in small venues before they were big.

Sorry to burst your bubble Samuel but the last time they did all of 2112 was in '97 on the T4E tour and they said that was it. The last 2 tours they've gone back to the normal little medley. :(

I saw them do 2112 when it first came out, at the Richfield Colisium (Cleveland) in the 70's that was a wild show, awesome concert too:) My buddy was the maintenance man at the Holiday Inn Colisium, Rush had a whole wing booked and had a wild afterparty, He called and said he needed some "help", we had to go unplug some toilets and ended up partying all night with them and the crew.

Somtimes it just gets busy out there...

This makes the rounds occasionally in the business.. This one is the PC one; there are a couple that are not quite as polite...

Before you ask the Console operators your question(s), Please read the common answers to the questions below:

1. We do not take requests or dedications.

2. Yes we do know what all these knobs do and no we don't have the time to tell you. That also means you can't touch them.

3. Yes we talk to the band and no we can't take notes or messages to them. This does also mean that you can't meet them without the appropriate pass which you don't get without a good reason.

4. The small console is lighting and the big one is sound. Most of the time.

5. The sound man is hired to mix the show, please don't tell him how to do his job. He doesn't come to your place of employment and tell you how to do your job.

6. We don't know where we're going to be tomorrow. Buy the tourbook or t-shirt which contains the tour info.

7. Some people go to school for this job & some don't. We have been in this industry for about ______ years not combined. There are a number of ways to get into this industry, which we don't have time to go into right now.

8. No, this is not necessarily the coolest job.

9. We don't know how much this gear costs and it is leased for the tour.

10.Yes, we travel with the band.

For any other questions please submit them in written form and we will do our best to reply to them.

We thank you for your understanding.

Thank you and have a nice evening

The console operators

My first concert was to see Eric Burdon and the Animals at the Monterey Fairgrounds in 1967. My second concert was the Monterey Pop Festival the same year. It was at that second concert that I first heard The Who and became fan for decades after that.

I've been to a lot of concerts over the years but I can't say I've ever really tried to compile a list. Good idea though.

Rich,

Couldn't agree with you more if you are talking prior to 1990. After seeing Aerosmith in '79 I swore I'd never see them live again. But Ted Nugent was opening for them in 1990 so I went... I was pleasantly surprised how much better they were then... without the drugs and booze!

You also reminded me of some others I forgot... April Wine, Kansas, BOC, Foreigner, Damn Yankees...

and I'm sure there are still some I've forgotten. There so many I saw in small venues before they were big.

Yeah you and I are cut from the same cloth I'm affraid!

"My first concert was Cheap Trick and the Michael Schenker Group back in 1980"

Dude, I was at that show at the Paramont.

Rich, which show did you go to? Dec. 15th or 16th?

My friend and I cut class early that day and got in line early enough to get seats in the 8th row, and right in front of the P.A. I swear that my ears rang for 3 or 4 days after the show!!!

Anyways, I finally found the ticket stubs from all the shows I've been to, so here is the definitive list of ALL the bands I've seen:

Michael Schenker Group, Cheap Trick (X3), FM, Rush (X2), Quarterflash (X2), Sammy Hagar (X2), Axe, Ozzy Osbourne, Girlschool,
Iron Maiden (X4), Scorpions, Night Ranger, Heart (X2), Sequel, Triumph (X2), Def Leppard, Billy Squier, Fastway (X2), Saxon, Great White (X2), Judas Priest (X4), Bronze, Ratt, W.A.S.P. (X2), Krokus, Twisted Sister, Mr. Mister, Bloodgood, Stryper (X2), Dokken (X4), Queensryche (X3), AC/DC, Cinderella, David Lee Roth, The Razorbacks, The Georgia Satellites, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Motley Crue, Whitesnake (X2), Aerosmith (X2) , Hurricane (X2) , McCauley Schenker Group, Black N Blue (X3), The Guess Who, B.T.O., Lita Ford,
Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Fates Warning, Masi, Van Halen, Skid Row (X2), Bonjovi, Extreme, Bullet Boys, Winger, Accept, Metal Church (X2) , King's X, The Cult, Metallica (X3) , Babylon A.D. (X2) , XYZ, Mr. Big (X3) , Baton Rouge, Cold Sweat, Love/Hate, Dio, Testament, Megadeth, Hardline, Spinal Tap, Iron Butterfly, Gren, The Ramones, Brother Cane, Green Day (X2), Choad, Tesla, Red 5, Swinging Udders, Civ, Mr. Mirainga, The Grabbers, Hagfish, Dancehall Crashers, Bad Religion (X4) , Therapy? (X2) , Girls Vs Boys, Stabbing Westward, Kiss (X2) , National Guard, The Jimmies (X2) , Down By Law, Poison Idea, Social Distortion (X4) , Corrosion of Conformity, D Generation, Elton John (X2) , Rancid, Reverend Horton Heat (X2) , NOFX, Guttermouth, Unwritten Law, Billy Joel, The Flapjacks, Los Infernos, Neil Diamond, Ted Nugent, The Adolescents, TSOL, Circle Jerks, GBH, The Vandals, New Found Glory, X, The Buzzcocks, Unwritten Law, The Damned, Pennywise (X2), Blink 182, The Offspring, The Sex Pistols, Cigar, The Eyeliners, and the Lost City Angels.

I know there are a few opening acts that I can't remember, and looking back, there are a few I wish I didn't remember:D

Peace,
Mike

Hey Mike..can you hear me now ?

LOL...I with you brother ,between the music and the cars I've been around ..uh, what did you say ? LOL..Looks like you saw alot of cool shows ! :D

I think I read that was the ONLY time they ever did the entire suite live.
I like listening to 'Different Stages' because the take of 2112 they put on that album was recorded in Mansfield MA at an outdoor amphitheatre in the summer of 97. I was there, and it was perfect. PERFECT. They ended the first set with it, and when the lights came up, I didn't move. It was an afterglow you can't imagine. I was hoping no one would talk to or touch me until it wore off :cool:

p.s. you've never heard an audience scream the 'heys' during syrinx like on that night. man we were into it. a passionate audience you might say.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back