The State of NHRA and others for 2009 (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
I was watching the NASCAR race this past weekend when the TV crew were discussing the failings of GM, Ford and Chrysler. The panel was very concern that if they stop all money flowing into NASCAR that they will have a very hard time fielding full fields for next years races. This got me thinking about the NHRA and all the sponsors that are leaving teams and the sport as a whole. Is it possible come Pomona 2009 that we will not have full fields in all Pro classes and this could continue the full season. I know that when things got tough in the 70's and 80's that some teams stop but that was a time when we had more teams than spots. Yes, we did have a couple of short fields over the years but, this could be the whole season. Think about all the sponsors that are having issues or are flat out not coming back. The only positive is the Al-A money for AJ and some PM teams.

Bud - InBev (???????????)
CSK - O'Rielly (no team sponsorship)
SnapON - ? moving?
DHL - ? going away
UPS - ? not coming back
Ken Black Homes - ???? in TF
Mopar - only in PS
GM & Delco - WJ & AJ ??????
Ford - Force ???????

Just wondering what the future holds for the sport of auto racing.:confused:

I wonder if we will see a resurrection of Fuel Match Races at "Local" tracks?

All they gotta do is bring in more exibition classes. Make it less about the money and more about the entertainment. Like I've said a bunch, bring in nitro harley's, jet dragsters and funnycars, pro mod, wheelstanders, nostalgia funncars & dragsters.

They were having trouble filling fields this year, next year is gonna be much worse. It's the american way, time to adapt. The NHRA can get through this.. but they have to adapt - quickly as it seems.

And the one that no one mentions, less fans with expendable income to buy tickets....................:(

Its funny IHRA doesn't have the "big names" and performance is a bit off of nhra. But they put on one hell of a saturday night show. Its odd seeing that many people in the stands for wheels up super stockers. I'm used to nhra where I have the bleachers to myself by then.

Ihra seems to have put the focus on the track (jets, pro mod, wheelstanders and such) where N seems to have focussed on countdowny type gimmciks

I know I've switched to more I then N races. Cheaper, great show.
Took family of 4 to and IHRA race for $60 this year, can barely get my own butt into an nhra race for that.

Its funny IHRA doesn't have the "big names" and performance is a bit off of nhra. But they put on one hell of a saturday night show. Its odd seeing that many people in the stands for wheels up super stockers. I'm used to nhra where I have the bleachers to myself by then.

Ihra seems to have put the focus on the track (jets, pro mod, wheelstanders and such) where N seems to have focussed on countdowny type gimmciks

I know I've switched to more I then N races. Cheaper, great show.
Took family of 4 to and IHRA race for $60 this year, can barely get my own butt into an nhra race for that.

It's too bad most fans consider SS a "let's get some grub" class. I always like watching them run. Now SC or SG is a different story. :p

And 60 bucks for a whole race?! Was that just for tickets or everything?

In another post, someone younger asked what racing was like back 20 or so years ago when the economy was slow--it got me thinking-is the entertainment value for my buck really any better today?
Remember when there was only say 10-12 cars that planned on making the full tour? Local teams still filled the grid. Maybe they were west coasters that only made the 3 swing races-If they made it to the semis, it was a good payday to them. If they can book 3 match races along the season, the car might almost pay for itself. I bet there would be more cars out there if they had a better shot at making the show.
Watching from the stands-can you tell how what kind of hauler a s/g car came in? Are you no longer allowed to have a 24ft trailer hauled by a duallie? Its hard to feel bad for someone crying they cant afford to race with a $300k Toter+ stacker filled with a new car+ last years-and $10k custom golf kart.
And what if you 8.90 car can "only" run a 7.50 off the stop?
What if team Force could "only" afford to run 3 cars ? Didnt he race as hard as he could we he didnt even have gas money to make the next race?

My point is this--racers race-period. Its worse than crack. If you have nitro-alky-VP in your blood, you need the fix. "WE" the fans can live without the hospitality centers-technology trailers-schmoozing of big wigs. I'd love to run on someone elses dime--but if i cant get that dime, I'll just have to come up with plan B. I'm a racer-its what i have to do.

Amen, Sherman. Racing is a big corporation, money-making business now. It used to be fun to go to the drags and just mill around - who cared how the cars got there, as long as they did. They could flat tow them for all I care. Now it is hospitality suites, suits and celebs. Since all of America is starting to tighten their belts and live within their means, if drag racing does the same, it will survive. Not on the grandioso scale as it is now, but still a heckuva lot of fun!

It's too bad most fans consider SS a "let's get some grub" class. I always like watching them run. Now SC or SG is a different story. :p

And 60 bucks for a whole race?! Was that just for tickets or everything?

it was a special family pass they had, 2 adult tickets and 2 kids tickets all for $60. My nhra.....oopss my former nhra membership gets me $10 but only if I wait until I get there and hope to get the seat I want

I too race to race, or for the race. Hospitality tents? give aways? who gives a damn. I dont need 34 catalogs when i get home, or an Army keychain. Money has been tight for me for years, I prefer to not buy 10 new team shirts every year, but maybe another drum of alky for my own car when i get home. I love national events. I am the 'other' guy in the stands when the stockers & super stockers run. Super classes usually bore me and that is when i get caught power naping in the bleachers. I am a alky faithful, a stocker lover, and of course a nitro-haulic.

Cut back on give aways & crap. All good for me. Lets just go racing. put more sportsman racing at national events. let me run my FED at a national. I'll buy in!

As I remember, when the gov't loaned Chrysler big bucks years ago, the gov't told them no RV's and no money to sponsor racing.

There's a problem with taking $$$ from the gov't. They sometimes set rules that you might not like. And now the Big 3 are in need of money. No way they will be able to justify giving money to race teams when they can't even meet their payroll.

As I remember, when the gov't loaned Chrysler big bucks years ago, the gov't told them no RV's and no money to sponsor racing.

The government never loaned Chrysler money. The government guaranteed loans that Chrysler obtained from private banking. Chrysler paid the loans back early, so no government money ever changed hands to benefit Chrysler.

Jim

There's a problem with taking $$$ from the gov't. They sometimes set rules that you might not like. And now the Big 3 are in need of money. No way they will be able to justify giving money to race teams when they can't even meet their payroll.

I do believe the bottom line there was to keep the M1 tank in production, which Chrysler still ended up selling off to GD... I do like how Lee said 'We will have plenty of jobs at $17.00 an hour. We will have NO jobs at $21.00 an hour."

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back