The Silver Gladiator In The Ocean Air (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
The tall driver had just got up out of the push wagon, he had put on his silver boots and pants. Then came the silver fire jacket, all zipped up and ready to go sans his breather mask and helmet. He walked up to the Orange rail and asked the young man seated in the car, time to go race, I need my seat. The tall driver hopped in the digger and was pushed off thru the staging lanes confident in his top 3 qualifying spot.

He then at the head of the lanes, donned his breather mask, put on his open-face helmet with the googles above the visor. The national anthem was played as the tall driver tightened up his belts. Round 1 was at hand. The fine ride was pushed onto the roller starters for round 1. A easy first round win followed, back to the pits for the between round turn around. That young man with his father was waiting for him and congratulated the driver on his win. The tall driver said to the young man, thanks son, we got 3 more to go.

Round 2 came up quickly, the young man bolted to his seat, the summer dew seemed to get thicker. Another round win but this one was way closer. When the tall driver returned to his pit the young dude was there again to offer praise. The tall driver and his very tall crew chief did normal easy maintenance. The ocean fog was rolling in as it does in June and early summer. By the time round 3 was scheduled, the Orange car was under the tower, at this point in time the fog was so thick you could not see past the tree, just 4-cars left and the race was called due to very limited visibility. The rest of the show was cancelled, the young man was disappointed that the tall driver would not race anymore after being with the team all afternoon thru qualifying and 2 rounds.

The driver, James Warren, the young man, was me, the track of course was the greatest, Lions Drag Strip. The cool ocean air had nipped the program in the bud.

TopFuel@Lions

Anyone remember when they used to push start the dragsters. James Warren in the orange car, now "back motored". As they make the turn to the starting line, the W-C-M push truck runs over the other dragster's nose. ARGHHHH This was at OCIR, maybe mid 70's, and James ended up winning the race. They gave the $$ to the team who's car they ran over. Warren-Coburn-Miller, the Ridge Route Terrors, AKA Rain For Rent. I didn't realize for a long time that Rain For Rent was a mechanical device that was put out in the fields & irrigated the crops. James Warren went back to the 50's, drove a back motor car with a blown Chevy SB on nitro, had a short (like 100") wheelbase. Then on to front motor cars. I think the team had 2 cars at one time, one with a Chevy & one with a Chrysler ??? Warren & Crow? Anyhoo, James made his mark on drag racing. It was a sad day when James passed. Lots of memories of that team.

I remember the first back motor they had. Saw it at Lions. Sid Waterman had built a 426 Chrysler for the team; think it was their first Elephant motor. I asked Sid, are you put the car in the .20's? the 6.20's, which was quick then. Anyhoo, the link above has lotsa photos. Also lots of comments after James passed. Man, I had a hard time reading that without tearing up. Steve Gibbs said it best. We're now at the time where we are going to losing our heroes. Sigh

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back