The last time I saw as much mud as at the Grove (2 Viewers)

Professor Dave

Nitro Member
in the Sportsmen pits, the year was 1969, the place was upstate NY and 500,000 people got to hear some great music.

NHRA made the right call in canceling this one. Comp was supposed to be the first class out for qualifying and there was no way some of the cars would have been able to make it through the mud to the staging lanes. I didn't see what the spectator lots were like, but I can't imagine people would have been able to get out of those either.

They shut off any parking to the normal public lots.. even 4x4s were sliding all over the place.. I got there early Sat.. and parked in a private lot ($10) but it was right near the entrance... I took out my pillow, reclined the seat, & fell asleep..
About 10:30 some guy knocked on my window, & told me it was call off until the 29th... I never left my car all weekend except Fri night at the motel.. They Had a GREAT PRIME RIB BUFFET

One thing for sure.. on the weekend of the race I'm NOT going even if there is a 10% chance of rain.. because the 10% will be over Maple Grove..

Like I said here!

Well, this weekend sucked. Got to Reading around 10:30am, pulled up to park in the paid parking area and the parking guy said. "Oh no charge for today". I said "That's not a good thing is it". "Nope" he said back to us. We parked and called some friends coming from Winchester, VA. to give them directions to get to the track from 81. As soon as we hung up, it started to rain and it rained some more, then we couldn't believe it it kept raining. Then some people started to leave around 1:00pm and they started getting stuck in the muck and I mean muck. Around 2:00pm the truck loads of gravel showed up and the front end loader. They started to pour the many truck loads of gravel down between the many rows of parked cars. I think it was around 4:00pm and we were able to get out and go home. What a mess this weekend was. I sure wish the great folks of Texas much better luck next weekend!

http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=13762829

in the Sportsmen pits, the year was 1969, the place was upstate NY and 500,000 people got to hear some great music.

NHRA made the right call in canceling this one. Comp was supposed to be the first class out for qualifying and there was no way some of the cars would have been able to make it through the mud to the staging lanes. I didn't see what the spectator lots were like, but I can't imagine people would have been able to get out of those either.
What? I thought Columbus was the ONLY place that got the bad rap for muddy lots and numerous years of rain-outs. What is it now 10 out of 12 years Reading had rain. Maybe we should move that race to Norwalk too.
Can`t tell I`m bitter about losing a national event at my home track can you? (The race I`ve attended for probably 20 out of the 30+ years they`ve held it.) That along with the "chase crap" has NHRA on my "S" list.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back