Tearing down Route 66 Dragstrip? (1 Viewer)

Nitro_force_fan

Nitro Member
Has anyone hear heard that at the end of next year they are gonna level Route 66 dragstrip and build hotels where it stands now? Hopefully this is just a rumor but we all know the problems that track has had as far as operation. Anyone know?

Heard that many times along with many other things nascar wants to do with 66. I can't really see how it would be profitable to have a hotel/rv parking/landing strip for private planes... for a circle track that has a few weekends a year but it is what it is.

It's been rumored for a few months now that Route 66 was going bye, bye due to the relatively low revenue generated and the high costs of operating that place taking into account ALL of the events that run there. Obviously, the NHRA is/was the primary factor though.

The rumor circulating in tandem with that one is that as a result of the demise of Route 66, someone (or a group of someones) are planning on building a new, more sensibly built (i.e. more realistic seating capacity), facility somewhere in the Western/Southwestern suburbs that would take the place of Route 66 and then hold an NHRA event.

If the first rumor is true, I sure hope the second one is too. Having grown up in the Chicago area I loved going to Route 66 and felt some sense of home state pride knowing that it was widely regarded as the quickest and fastest track on the circuit even though I've been in Indianapolis for the past 20 years.

I've had A LOT of great memories there from my son's infamous 7th birthday with Gilby and Wilk in 2004, Doug Kalitta's mind blowing 4.42/333mph run in 2003, the Parties raising funds for John Lawson across from the track and the seemingly endless one upping of the Funny Car times (Scelzi, Pedregon, etc....) from year to year not to mention the "I wonder what will we have to endure this year?" weather events that seemed to plague this place.

I also remember the Fall race in 2005 where in what I think was his 1st year on his own after JFR, Gary Densham's "slow" 16th place qualifying time of 4.842 kept it from being the 1st ever field to run in the 4.70's or better in Funny Car. Cruz was #1 @ 4.680 and Tony Bartone was 15th with a 4.792.

Joliet was also the place my brother got "baptized" into the NHRA. I remember my cousin and former 'Mater Dozer and I taking him up to the starting line along the concrete wall during a Funny Car session and Dozer says to him, "If you're lucky, you might see a body fly off." Well, damn if right on cue, it didn't happen the very next pair and the car in the lane closest to us (oddly enough I think it was also Densham) bangs the blower right off the line and jettisons the body fully intact into the air only to float down like a piece of paper right in front of us. Should have played the lottery that day.

Obviously, I hope it stays and if not hope that someone wants to build a new place in the Chicago area keeping the tradition of it being the track where records are set.

These rumors have been flying around ever since the place was built.
From the info that I've been getting from several different sources, next year will have a much improved schedule and any rumors as to it's demise are just that, rumors.
I remember Del Worsham sending his Mountain Dew body sailing right after watching him put the MD logo on the side if his car.
I'm headed out there in a couple of hours to make a couple of passes today. I'll ask again about this rumor.
Keep in mind that the motel rumor doesn't make any sense to me as there is still farmground adjacent to Chicagoland Speedway that could be developed into a hotel complex. JMO

Heard that many times along with many other things nascar wants to do with 66. I can't really see how it would be profitable to have a hotel/rv parking/landing strip for private planes... for a circle track that has a few weekends a year but it is what it is.

Actualy its exremely profitable to have those items on or near the grounds.. specialy if they own them (motels) also.... many people don't stay in the infield with rv's the stay outside thr tracks.. and some charge $50 just to park the RV.. imagine the charge for water/power/sewage hookups....

Rockingham Dragway has hook ups.. that are available year round and while not full it is extra income.. same near Lowes Motor Speedway.. lots of RV hook ups and tons of travelers stop and stay a few days year round... not just during events...

Billy

Animal Jim said on another site that his boss says 2010 will be bigger & better at RT66.

I hope you are right Paul. I come from NJ where the Napp family did a great job booking special events to draw crowds for match races and Thrill Shows at E-Town. Hell, even Bob VanSciver/Joe Sway did a decent job running Atco and drawing crowds for their Thrill Shows. Rt. 66 is way under utilized and I would love to see more events there.

I hope you are right Paul. I come from NJ where the Napp family did a great job booking special events to draw crowds for match races and Thrill Shows at E-Town. Hell, even Bob VanSciver/Joe Sway did a decent job running Atco and drawing crowds for their Thrill Shows. Rt. 66 is way under utilized and I would love to see more events there.

I believe it. Jim works there. Rt66 is the fastest track, I would hate to see it go. Heck I'm still ticked that they took away one natl. event.

Gary Skiles did a pretty good job running the place and maybe some of you remember him as one of the early Pro Stock guys with Lindell Miller. He passed away several years ago but he was a true racer's friend.

You're right about Gary Skiles, William.
I ran against the Skiles and Miller car in Run Tuff Eliminator at Oswego back in the early 70's.
This was before they moved to Pro Stock.

I keep hearing that next year they will have a much better schedule at RT 66.
I just hope it's true.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back