Team Kalitta U.S. Nationals Pre-Race Report (1 Viewer)

bfb9b7cf-13a7-439d-a18b-a9ab03e6c5bf.png
Pre-Race Team Kalitta Notes
Event 18 of 24: 2019 NHRA U.S. Nationals
Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis
Indianapolis, IN
August 29 - September 3, 2019
Team Kalitta looks to finish the 2019 NHRA regular season strong. Each Team Kalitta driver has tasted victory and maintains Top Ten point position.
54c840fc-18d9-44cd-a75b-20dfa81cb8a9.jpg
J.R. Todd Chasing History at U.S. Nationals
History is on the horizon for J.R. Todd and the DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car. No Funny Car driver has ever won three NHRA U.S. Nationals in a row. The back-to-back winner of the biggest drag race in the world is well aware of this fact and is only focusing on what he can control heading into the race weekend.
“Winning three U.S. Nationals in a row is all anyone wants to talk about and I get that,” said Todd. “For me I really am just looking at this race like I did the past two years. It is a long weekend and you have to pace yourself. We have a lot of sponsor commitments and there will be media requests but when I get in that DHL Toyota Camry Funny Car I have to block all that stuff out and do my job.”
Throughout the season Todd has been doing a solid job starting with picking up another win at the Las Vegas Four-Wide Nationals in the spring. Two more runner-up finishes have kept him solidly in the Top Ten. Last year he started getting his championship momentum around the Brainerd race and into the U.S. Nationals. Two weeks ago a first round loss was tough on the reigning Funny Car champion but it did not take away the passion for the battle ahead.
“We didn’t have a good race day in Brainerd,” said Todd. “I think everyone just put that race behind them and started focusing on the U.S. Nationals as soon as we were out in the first round. You have to have a short memory at this time of the season.”
Last year Todd’s run to his second U.S. Nationals title was a thing of beauty. As the No. 1 qualifier Todd defeated Jim Campbell with a strong 3.99 second run. Two strong runs in the quarterfinals and semifinals took out Robert Hight and Tommy Johnson Jr. In the final against Matt Hagan Todd took a dominating win with his Camry Funny Car dramatically pulling away as they both charged to the finish line.
“That win last year was pretty special,” said Todd. “You go into race day as the No. 1 qualifier so you want to do well. Once we got past first round we had three tough competitors who were all in the championship hunt. When I saw that last win light it felt amazing. This year we are just going to try and take it one day at a time and hopefully have a long day at the track on Monday.”

2018 NHRA U.S. Nationals Highlights: Qual. No. 1; WINNER; Beat Jim Campbell, Robert Hight, Tommy Johnson Jr., and Matt Hagan
Last Event Recap (2019 NHRA Brainerd Nationals): Qual. No. 10; Lost to Ron Capps
Quotable: J.R. Todd on winning third U.S. Nationals: “Man, I try not to think about it. No one has ever won three in a row in Funny Car but that is our goal. It won’t be easy for sure. Indy is a place that has a lot of magic and history. I am looking forward to getting this DHL Toyota Camry on the track and seeing what we can do. The Yella Fellas are fired up and we will be ready for anything.”
Career Stats: 217 events, 209 starts, 228 round wins, 18 wins, 32 finals, 12 No. 1 qualifiers; in Funny Car: 65 events, 65 starts, 9 wins, 12 finals, 78 round wins, 3 No. 1 qualifiers
518ccc2f-d5f9-4d29-8353-df5698e07358.jpg
Doug Kalitta Ready for U.S. Nationals Success
As a three-time U.S. Nationals finalist Doug Kalitta knows the pressure and prestige of the NHRA U.S. Nationals. It is the biggest drag race of the year and has the most history of any drag race in the world. Legends and careers are made with four round wins on Labor Day. The perennial championship contender is also a favorite this weekend to pick up his first U.S. Nationals Top Fuel title.
Last year Doug Kalitta came close once again to winning the biggest drag race of the season. In a tight final round against veteran Terry McMillen Kalitta and the Mac Tools dragster were denied an amazing story of victory. Racing from the No. 11 qualifier position Kalitta defeated three tough competitors before falling to McMillen.
“We had a wild day last year,” said Kalitta. “We lost an engine in the first round and got around Antron in the second round. I got a holeshot win to get to the final and then against McMillen it was a very close race. I thought I had him but we were just a little short. That is what makes Indy special. We will be ready this weekend.”
The season started off with a win at the historic Winternationals and then Kalitta was consistent through the first part of the season. As the season moved into summer Kalitta and the Mac Tools Top Fuel dragster would hit stretches of success racing to semifinals in Chicago and Bristol. The team continued to press for a quick tune-up and over the past three races have hit on a strong qualifying effort and round wins on Sunday.
Two weeks ago in Brainerd Kalitta raced to his fifth semifinal of the season. The race day success moved him up to No. 3 in the point standings just two points out of second place. After the U.S. Nationals the Mello Yello points will be reset and Kalitta could find himself either 30 or 40 points out of the top spot with six playoff races remaining.
“The Countdown is a great equalizer. We are right in the thick of things and a great weekend at the U.S. Nationals could give us a ton of momentum going into the playoffs. I am really happy with this Mac Tools team. We have been together for a long time and I think we are ready for Indy and the final six races after that,” added Kalitta.

2018 NHRA U.S. Nationals Highlights: Qual. No. 11; RUNNER-UP; Beat Leah Pritchett, Antron Brown, Billy Torrence; Lost to Terry McMillen
Last Event Recap (2019 NHRA Brainerd Nationals): Qual. No. 7; Beat Terry McMillen, Steve Torrence; Lost to Mike Salinas
Quotable: Kalitta on what it would mean to win Indy: “I think it would be amazing. I can’t really think about that now. For a race like Indy you have to stay focused for so long. We have been close before and we are going after it with everything we have. This Mac Tools team is ready for the race and the Countdown.”
Career Stats: 506 events, 499 starts, 673 round wins, 45 wins, 97 finals, 50 No. 1 qualifiers
de386a75-7d71-4dcd-9479-9382de64a272.jpg
Shawn Langdon Looking to Add Funny Car Title at NHRA U.S. Nationals
The biggest and most prestigious drag race in the country has Shawn Langdon’s full attention. This weekend the driver of the Global Electronic Technology Toyota Camry Funny Car will be trying to do something less than a handful of other drag racing legends have done. Only four drivers in the 64 year history of the NHRA U.S. Nationals have won in both the Top Fuel and Funny Car categories. The second year Funny Car driver is looking to add his name to that list with his second Funny Car win of the 2019 season.
In 2013 Langdon took the Top Fuel U.S. Nationals title defeating Steve Torrence in the final round. It was Langdon’s lone final round in the Top Fuel class at the race known as the “Big Go.” This year Langdon will be heading into Indy with a hot streak of success behind the wheel of his Camry Funny Car and a confident attitude.
“Over the past six or seven races this Global Electronic Technology Funny Car has gotten better and better,” said Langdon. “My confidence is increasing every race too. You can just feel the team coming together and we are gelling at the perfect time. You want to be at your best heading into the U.S. Nationals and the Countdown.”
Two weeks ago Langdon clinched his spot in the Countdown to the championship with a semifinal finish at the NHRA Brainerd Nationals. The team was able to get over the quarterfinal hump on race day and that small step forward gave Langdon a big boost in confidence.
“We had been stuck in the quarterfinals for a while so getting into the semifinals was a big deal for us,” said Langdon. “I think we are continuing to get better and we will give it our all in Indy. Clinching our spot in the Countdown was huge because now we can just race. We aren’t worried about what anyone else is doing or what we have to do. We can just go out there and try to win the U.S. Nationals.”
This season has been a whirlwind for Langdon beginning with his first career Funny Car win at the Charlotte Nationals in April. Throughout the rest of the regular season Langdon has seen steady improvement adding a runner-up finish in at the New England Nationals to his resume. Since mid-June he is one of only two Funny Car competitors that have not lost in the first round of eliminations, a span of seven races.
“We have been making small changes throughout the season. (Co-crew chiefs) Nicky (Boninfante) and Del (Worsham) have been great to work with and we are making runs down the track that are getting quicker and quicker. You can see that in our qualifying position. Everything builds on itself. You qualify higher, you get a better first round opponent and then you can get more data. I don’t know if I have ever been more excited to get to a race track than I am heading to the U.S. Nationals this weekend,” added Langdon.

2018 NHRA U.S. Nationals Highlights: Qualified No. 7; Beat Cruz Pedregon, Bob Bode; Lost to Matt Hagan
Last Event Recap (2019 NHRA Brainerd Nationals): Qual. No. 6; Beat Paul Lee, Bob Bode; Lost to Ron Capps
Quotable: Langdon on winning Indy: “It is the biggest race of the season. Next to winning a world championship you have to put winning the U.S. Nationals right at the top. This Global Electronic Technology Camry Funny Car has the capability to race into the winner’s circle and that it pretty exciting.”
Career Stats: 249 events, 246 starts, 280 round wins, 15 wins, 32 finals, 18 No. 1 qualifiers; in Funny Car 41 events, 41 starts, 30 round wins, 1 wins, 2 finals, 0 No. 1 qualifiers
cbb0c7f6-add4-49db-8905-229537d4b5d9.jpg
Richie Crampton Eager to Race for Second U.S. Nationals Title
The NHRA U.S. Nationals this weekend will be a chance for Richie Crampton and the DHL Top Fuel team to show they are finishing the NHRA regular season on a high note. The team has a win at the historic Gatornationals as their season highlight and a win at the most prestigious drag race in the country would not only solidify the team’s position in the Mello Yello Top Ten but would immediately move them into Top Fuel championship contention.
“This will be a big weekend for sure,” said Crampton. “There will be a lot going on and I am looking forward to getting to the track. You have three days of qualifying so you want to get some momentum on Friday night with that first session.”
There are four teams fighting for the final two spots in the Top Fuel Top Ten. Heading into the weekend Crampton holds an 84 point lead over the team in 11th place in the Mello Yello point standings. With points and half on the line along with increased qualifying and bonus points Crampton is in a strong but not guaranteed position. Ideally, a solid qualifying effort and a first round victory will secure his position in the Top Ten.
“We are really just focusing on trying to win the U.S. Nationals,” said Crampton. “If we do that the Countdown points will take care of themselves. You get an extra qualifying session in Indy and there are more points on the line. I see that as an opportunity to separate ourselves and show what this team is capable of. These DHL guys have been working their tails off all season.”
Crampton already has one U.S. Nationals title to his credit. The young Australian took the win in 2014 when he outran Steve Torrence for the victory. It was an amazing day for Crampton and one that he feels like he is capable of repeating this weekend.
“You dream of winning the U.S. Nationals if you are a drag racer no matter what class you are racing,” said Crampton. “To win the biggest race of the season in Top Fuel and your name to a list that includes Connie Kalitta and Don Garlits is pretty cool. I think we have a race car that is capable of winning four rounds of racing on Monday. We just need to put it together and keep our focus.”
Since Crampton’s back to back win at the Gatornationals he has advanced to the semifinals at the NHRA New England Nationals and the quarterfinals at the national events in Chicago, Topeka, Denver and Sonoma. A consistent theme runs through those races for Crampton when you consider the driver that ended his race day at all five of those events has the last name of Torrence. Points leader Steve Torrence was the primary victor with father Billy Torrence edging out Crampton in Topeka.
“It does seem like we run into those Capco guys a lot in the second round,” said Crampton. “I think it is just one of those things that if we can qualify a little higher we can miss them. I will say that racing them makes everybody better. You know you have to be at the top of your game because they don’t make many mistakes. We had a couple shots at them and just didn’t capitalize. No matter who is in the other lane the name of the game is getting to that finish line stripe first. That will be our goal on Monday at the U.S. Nationals for sure.”

2018 NHRA U.S. Nationals Highlights: Qual. No. 15; Lost to Clay Millican
Last Event Recap (2019 NHRA Brainerd Nationals): Qual. No. 11; Lost to Clay Millican
Quotable: Crampton on winning Indy: “Winning Indy was one of my first wins and I can remember it like yesterday. It happened so fast it seemed. It was an amazing day and I am looking for another win at the U.S. Nationals this weekend. I think this DHL/Kalitta Air team has what it takes to win Indy. We will have a ton of support from our family and friends for sure.”
Career Stats: 120 events, 119 starts, 99 round wins, 9 wins, 11 finals, 5 No. 1 qualifiers

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back