T/F front wheel mileage sensors (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Read about Richie Crampton having a sensor on the front wheel of his T/F car. It measures distance & will automatically shut off the engine after 1000'. I'd never heard about that before. Is that new technology? Also, what is the deal with Clay Millican's rear wheels? I kinda have a feeling everyone knows about this but me. Heh

Wheel counters have been in use for years. They are much more accurate for mapping the run as the front wheels don't spin, although they do sometimes come off the ground. They have long been used to shut the car down and to deploy the chutes.

Clay Millican's rear wheels are Weld Delta One. I think he and CC (David Grubnic) was the first to run them, many others do now.

Alan

The sensor isn't on the wheel, it's mounted to the spindle, about the diameter of a pencil, and a couple of inches long. The wheel has magnets and the sensor counts everytime a magnet goes by.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Is the sensor small? I never recall seeing them on the wheel.

Here you go Cliff,
Alan
Wheel Counter.jpg

Hmm, i wonder what they do with it? It is probably good to know how fast you are going at the finish line. Or maybe checking to see how long the track actually is.

Same sensor you use for wheel speed. Can also be used on both front wheels in a FC to see if they are both off the ground at a certain point on the run or just one of them to know if you need more front end weight. You can set the Leahy device to close the throttle, pop the chutes and shut off the fuel and ignition at a certain number of revolutions (distance). Nothing new as Alan said, probably been in use for 4-5+ years. The Leahy Command Module can also do lots of other stuff such as hi and low clutch pressure maps and some other cool stuff.

Wheel counters have been in use for years. They are much more accurate for mapping the run as the front wheels don't spin, although they do sometimes come off the ground. They have long been used to shut the car down and to deploy the chutes.

Clay Millican's rear wheels are Weld Delta One. I think he and CC (David Grubnic) was the first to run them, many others do now.

Alan

Ironically, Artie Allen was the 2nd to have those wheels. He had them on the car testing in Gainesville before the Gators.

Thanks Alan. Wow, I could look at this & never know what it is. David said it works on a self driving floor machine. Has a lot of possibilities. I wonder who came up with this & what gave them the idea.
If you want to go all the way back, the concept of electromagnetic induction was discovered in 1831 by Michael Faraday. You're probably more familiar with this technology used with crank trigger ignitions, but with revolution counting. Very common in industry, just a different application.

One has to wonder if wheel counting technology hasn't made it's way to sportsman and bracket racing.
You will need to check if this is still in effect - but in any NHRA class that has an index or dial in, ANY device that shows track position or time is more than just a No No it can get you banned. Same goes for the driveshaft counter that lets you stage by the speedometer to 1/4 inch increments. Just ask Dave Connolly about a Matte Box (look it up). Davis technologies also makes stuff but most of it is against the rules.

I'm familiar with the name Michael Faraday. He invented his device in 1831!!! Wow.... Kinda off the subject, but have you noticed how many things have been invented since 1800? Trains, photography, aerial balloons (late 1700's), telegraph, steam engines, telephones, light bulbs, electric currents (Tesla & Edison), motion pictures, radio, on and on. All of that has laid the foundation for what we have today. Ya gotta wonder why didn't some one come up with this stuff 1000 years ago? "A time for everything..."

If Dick Kraft & other drag racing pioneers were alive today, I bet they would be able to pick up on what modern day drag racers are doing. They laid the foundation.

So what's the driver's job anymore, OH yeah I got it he gets out of car to drink Mellow Yellow. LOL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back