Sunday will never be the same... (1 Viewer)

The late Dale Creasy Sr.
1609346564368.png

1609346673342.png

1609346788385.png

1609347240435.png

1609373274410.png

From Drag Racing Photo Greats Magazine Bob Noice AA/FD on fire
1609373463078.png

From Drag Racing Photo Greats Magazine No ID AA/FD Big blower explosion and fire
1609373688650.png

From Drag Racing Photo Greats Dick Stahl's AA/FD
1609373943430.png

From Drag Racing Photo Greats Norm Wilcox AA/FD Fire burnout
1609375514872.png

From Drag Racing Photo Greats Jack Martin's AA/FD
Over backwards wheelstand at Lions 1972

The last 2 photos.... 8 drivers in top photo & only 6 in bottom photo. I wonder who this group was? I see Ongais in there. Was this the first 6 second club for F/C? Just curious.

The last 2 photos.... 8 drivers in top photo & only 6 in bottom photo. I wonder who this group was? I see Ongais in there. Was this the first 6 second club for F/C? Just curious.

I have put that Hot Rod magazine away. What I posted a few pages back, before my son and his girlfriend picked up
there computer and camera gear, I started at 6PM stayed up till 2AM taking over 250 pictures from my magazines with
the camera, then down loading them on my computer folder page. Can't remember the story on those pictures. I think
it was new AA/FC for the 1970 season. Or maybe something to do with the AHRA. But I could be wrong. Off the top of my little brain you have
Danny Ongais
Tom McEwen
Tom Prock
Gene Snow
Leroy Goldstein
Dick Harrell
Some one standing in for the Snake
And the Nova could be Mike Burkhart?

Last edited:
I have put that Hot Rod magazine away. What I posted a few pages back, before my son and his girlfriend picked up
there computer and camera gear, I started at 6PM stayed up till 2AM taking over 250 pictures from my magazines with
the camera, then down loading them on my computer folder page. Can't remember the story on those pictures. I think
it was new AA/FC for the 1970 season. Or maybe something to do with the AHRA. But I could be wrong. Off the top of my little brain you have
Danny Ongais
Tom McEwen
Tom Prock
Gene Snow
Leroy Goldstein
Dick Harrell
Some one standing in for the Snake
And the Nova could be Mike Burkhart?
Yes, those are AHRA promo photos of their booked-in FC stars for the '70 Grand American series. Yes, the Nova was the Burkhart-Higginbotham FC that was in white w/ soft black and orange outlines in '69, repainted for the new season. Besides the Snake Dick Harrell
is not in the driver's portrait photo. I don't recognize the first guy but he doesn't look like Tom Prock or Jay Howell. The rest from L to R are
Tom McEwen, Danny Ongais, Leroy Goldstein, Gene Snow and Mart Higginbotham.

1610476010158.png

Don Schumacher's ill handling at best "Wonder Wagon" AA/FC even canard
wings didn't help
1610476539940.png

Taylor & Wolff "Super Duster" AA/FC
1610476863334.png

The late Leroy Goldstein airing out the Candies & Hughes AA/FC
1610477615718.png

Pisano & Matsubara, Vega body AA/FC
1610477869833.png

Tom Prock in the seat of the Custom Body Ent. AA/FC getting crossed up
1610478615811.png

The late Gary Ormsby in his 1973 AA/FD
1610479345721.png

Chip Woodall in the lights in Gene Snow's AA/FD 1972
1610479505845.png

When push starting a AA/FD go's wrong
1610481959626.png

From Washington State it's Dailey & Johnson AA/FD
1610482157337.png

The late Marvin Schwartz in his AA/FD

1610663635164.png

Kelly Brown in the seat, Leland Kolb's AA/FD 1970
1610664060620.png

The late James Warren AA/FD 1969
1610664281795.png

Tom Chastang in the "Wheeler Dealer" AA/FD 1970
1610664586817.png

Tom Steed "Mr Boston" AA/FD
1610664965539.png

No ID on the AA/FD but for sure it's Lion's
1610665343432.png

Ray Galleger in his "Trader Ray" AA/FC 1972
1610665528587.png

Mike VanSant in the seat "The Invader" 1970 Plymouth Challenger body nitro flopper
1610665834029.png

Just another shot of a bad ass funny car. This one with Kelly Brown in the seat
1610666112931.png

With the pre stage light lit and Lew Arrington bringing up the rpm's the
header flames are already hoof high. Just f-in bitchin period!!!
1610666947464.png

Jungle Pam checking to make sure Jungle Jim isn't taking a leak on the track

Last edited:
Jim, regarding this photo of the Jeg's-Dale Emery crash at the '73 Supernationals....
73 Jegs, OMS explosion-don.gillespie.png
I was at the race. Driver Dale Emery was looking very good in the early rounds. Although the Snake's Carefree Cuda qualified at an astounding 6.16 the average winning ETs during eliminations were in the 6.50 range. Emery ripped Low ET of eliminations w/ a 6.28 in Rd. 2 against the Green Elephant Vega. The Snake's best was a 6.33 over "Flash Gordon" Mineo's Vega in Rd. 1. Meanwhile, McEwen methodically waltzed his way to the final w/ a 6.59 and a pair of 6.50's. Then the 2 hottest cars at the Supernationals met for the remaining semi final match. But the Carefree Cuda broke its rear end early in the race. Emery won the battle but lost the war—the Jeg's Camaro popped the blower which resulted in the catastrophe. Thankfully, Dale was unharmed. The Mongoose sailed to a 6.60 single round final to earn Tom's first NHRA national event win.

Afterwards the Jeg's team gathered the broken body parts and left them in a pile in the pits. As you can imagine the fans descended upon the pile like pack of wild animals in the woods. I remember one lucky guy walked off w/ the whole mini-Camaro nose. Another fan nearly had a full piece of the yellow side panel that read "JEG COUGHLIN." Although mine wasn't nearly as large it's still an instantly recognizable part of the '73 Jeg's Camaro. And it's one of my most prized drag racing collectibles! :D
73 Jegs piece-james.ibusuki.jpeg

Jim, regarding this photo of the Jeg's-Dale Emery crash at the '73 Supernationals....
View attachment 7376
I was at the race. Driver Dale Emery was looking very good in the early rounds. Although the Snake's Carefree Cuda qualified at an astounding 6.16 the average winning ETs during eliminations were in the 6.50 range. Emery ripped Low ET of eliminations w/ a 6.28 in Rd. 2 against the Green Elephant Vega. The Snake's best was a 6.33 over "Flash Gordon" Mineo's Vega in Rd. 1. Meanwhile, McEwen methodically waltzed his way to the final w/ a 6.59 and a pair of 6.50's. Then the 2 hottest cars at the Supernationals met for the remaining semi final match. But the Carefree Cuda broke its rear end early in the race. Emery won the battle but lost the war—the Jeg's Camaro popped the blower which resulted in the catastrophe. Thankfully, Dale was unharmed. The Mongoose sailed to a 6.60 single round final to earn Tom's first NHRA national event win.

Afterwards the Jeg's team gathered the broken body parts and left them in a pile in the pits. As you can imagine the fans descended upon the pile like pack of wild animals in the woods. I remember one lucky guy walked off w/ the whole mini-Camaro nose. Another fan nearly had a full piece of the yellow side panel that read "JEG COUGHLIN." Although mine wasn't nearly as large it's still an instantly recognizable part of the '73 Jeg's Camaro. And it's one of my most prized drag racing collectibles! :D
View attachment 7377
Hay James, I was not there, but remember it like it was yesterday. Had to wait for my ND, Drag Racing USA and
SS&DI magazines to be delivered to me here in Washington State. That is a great and cool souvenir you have.
You told Larry about your prints going for $300 to $500 on eBay that is true. I have seen your prints on eBay.
I really like drag racing hat pins, I have 1,090 all drag racing hat pins. I have seen pins that I have go for $150.00
crazy.

Hay James, I was not there, but remember it like it was yesterday. Had to wait for my ND, Drag Racing USA and
SS&DI magazines to be delivered to me here in Washington State. That is a great and cool souvenir you have.
You told Larry about your prints going for $300 to $500 on eBay that is true. I have seen your prints on eBay.
I really like drag racing hat pins, I have 1,090 all drag racing hat pins. I have seen pins that I have go for $150.00
crazy.
Gee Jim, that's a massive amount of enameled pins! 😮
I only have a handful but I think a few of them might be rare. I have both a red and yellow of the Greer-Black-Prudhomme dragster.
Plus, KS Pittman's '33 Willys and the '68 USA-1 Camaro. Two event pins are kinda nice, the inaugural Las Vegas race in 2000 and the 50th anniversary of Indy. That one is particularly well designed. It looks like IRP's original entrance marque, the circular logo w/ a checkerboard behind it and a theater marque below stating "50th annual NHRA Mac Tools US Nationals...Welcome Race Fans." Less colorful but probably much more rare is this one—a circular gold/black crest that reads "Tom Hanna Race Car Bodies" w/ a regal lion surrounded by an olive branch motif. Yes, it's the crest Hanna would mount in front of the motor on his beautifully sculpted dragster bodies!

Last edited:
I was saddened to hear about the passing of Dale Creasy. From the early '70s and onward his Tyrant Fords were definitely a significant contributor to the FC story. Seeing Creasy's first nationally famous FC, the '71 Tyrant Torino reminded me of its unique creation. Car Craft magazine used to publish a spring issue devoted to the new FCs of each season. Their '69 issue was a particularly substantial one. The cover featured the original Hawaiian Charger FC at Pomona, just before its infamous top end crash. Among the new featured FCs was a gorgeous candy blue and laced Torino to be campaigned by Ford FC pioneer Phil Bonner. After taking a year off to build his Performance Engineering shop Phil was ready to return to the FC wars. This was exciting news to hear, that a 3rd Torino was about to join the existing Coleman's Super Ford and Kansas Badman Torinos. But it never happened. The internet age eventually revealed that Bonner never raced the Torino due to the loss of his Ford factory sponsorship.
69 Bonner Torino rear.jpg
That's the first part of this story. The next occurred at the '70 OCIR Mfrs. Meet. At this mega FC race a mysterious unlettered, all blue metalflake Torino competed on the Ford team. Here's what SS&DI race report revealed. The FC consisted of Fred Goeske's old chassis (possibly his Road Runner?)...Dale Creasy's Hemi and...Phil Bonner's Torino Body! Goeske had recently burned down his '70 Duster. I know that he borrowed back his '68 Cuda, now known as the Speed Sport Cuda, for some late '70 commitments. Why he couldn't bring that Cuda to OCIR is unknown to me.
71 Stardust1 Pomo-L&M.jpg71 Creasy Torino as Stardust.png
Goeske then had a new Duster constructed for the '71 season. Meanwhile, Creasy began to race the Torino on his own. But it was not yet the Tyrant. Instead, it was painted as the Don Schumacher's "Stardust" Torino! There were 6 distinct Stardust paint jobs in '71 but the first was a red-white-blue Cuda. So the Torino was painted to match the early season Stardust. But I was told it probably raced as the Stardust for less than a month. When that agreement ended, the Torino w/ the same paint was relettered to the Creasy Brothers' "Tyrant" as shown here. It would eventually return to the OCIR Mfrs. Meet in '72, two years after the uber rare Fred Goeske Torino also competed! Draglist.com also says that the Creasy Bros.-Al Marshall driven Torino won the '71 NHRA Div. 3 championship.
71 Tyrant Torino.png

Last edited:
Here are some pictures from 2 Hot Hod Magazines that I have in my collection
They are called Funny Car Pictorials nothing but Plastic Fantastic's on every page
And yes I know these pictures are on other web sites, but hay you came here to
look. Good Job people, And now for your Dining and Dancing Pleasure
Note... I might have posted some of these pictures before
1611008983626.png

1611009034238.png

1611009070596.png

1611009104492.png

1611009144626.png

1611009194287.png

1611009244692.png

1611009333485.png

1611009383598.png

1611009843419.png

Part 2 coming soon...

Last edited:
"Happenings Ten Years Time Ago"
1611024065630.png

1611024165057.png

1611024206932.png

1611024236936.png

1611024280153.png

1611024340535.png

1611024380308.png

1611024420032.png

1611024560880.png

One of my all time favorite band's and song. With duel lead guitars from too of the greatest ever. Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page
From 1966 it's the Yardbirds "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago"

Last edited:
View attachment 7376

View attachment 7377

James, that is a cool souvenir. It reminds me of when Prudhomme blew up and flew over the finish line and the body blew off (I got lucky and took my famous photo). The body landed on the track on pieces. The fans jumped over the fences and guardrails to get the remains. We saw one guy walking away with an almost intact blue side panel with the Hot Wheels and Snake logos on it. Assuming he made it out of the gate with it, that would be a priceless souvenir !

I’ve got a challenge for Bob Reese: please find a picture of Eddie Pauling’s “Whinemaker” Cougar rear-engine funny car from the late ‘60s. I saw it race several times at the original Tucson Dragway but didn’t have a camera.
The car was wiped out at Tucson in 1969(?) when it got airborne at 180+.
It never really hooked up and it was not unusual for it smoke the tires almost the quarter mile.
It was a beautiful car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back