Stem cell treatment for pets (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
A friend of mine, a Vet who worked at our Vernon, California office of Kal Kan (pedigree) has left the business and is now working for an animal stem cell company for Pets. While most of the vets who utilize this in their practice are in California, there is one out here on the East Coast in South Salem NY, Westchester County.

Here is the email I just got from her this morning.

:Hi Jackee,
We made Headline News and CNN this weekend—a stem celled horse that was told he would never run again—came back and came in 2nd at the Del Mar Racetrack. Then yesterday this same horse came in 1st at the Del Mar track and is now in the Breeder’s Cup. This is incredible as it shows how stem cells can really benefit an animal. The stem cells we use are from the horse, dog or cat’s fat. The fat is harvested from the animal, the stem cells isolated and then injected back into the same animal—so there is no host rejection, no preservatives (happens within 48 hrs.), no controversy (adult stem cells vs embryonic). Visit the website Vet-Stem | Stem Cells for Horses Dogs & Cats | Tendons Ligaments Joints | San Diego CA
The website has the interview about the horse on the events page. Right now the only indications are for osteoarthritis, polyarthritis, tendon and ligament repair, but the possibilities for helping liver, kidney and autoimmune disease are really exciting.

Cheers,
Kathy"

If you log on to the website, there is a lot of what looks like, very good and positive information about this process. What a boon this will be for our pets.
Please let me know what you think of this.

So, if stem cells can be harvested from fat, why is there all the controversy over embryotic stem cell research.

Here's another email from Kathy.

We just released the technology to the orthopedic boarded surgeons in Southern CA in May-July. We will be holding a credentialing course in Northern CA on Wednesday (only small animal vets who have to have taken this course are able to use our services). By November we hope to have the 3-4 hour credentialing course online.

I am excited at the potential—almost like the foundation of youth!!

To answer your earlier email-this is available to human’s, most of the research is from humans—including the fat derived stem cells. However, there aren’t very many studies going on in this country. They are studying stem cells for MS, Parkinsons Disease, etc.

We are looking at studies in liver failure, these are very exciting (they have been able to take people OFF the transplant list with stem cells!!) In people the cost for stem cells can be $25000-35000. In dogs, it depends on the clinic, but probably about $2000 to $3500.

I am going to Cleveland next week to a stem cell conference which should be interesting (?????)
Ciao,
Kathy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back