So, what was the infraction? (1 Viewer)

I am aware that Leahy makes the auto shut-off. I am also aware the transmitter for 1320' are mounted at 1450', and 1700'.

I do not know where they are mounted for 1000' fuel cars. Someone here does however, so I'll wait for an answer.

Thanks
Just as Joey said, they are mounted just past the 1320' on the right hand wall and only work for the Fuel Cars.
As far as the infraction is concerned, just because you are a fan, does not entitle you to get a certified letter in the mail. But keep pouncing on everything is NHRA's fault.

I know which door I came in, so I'll find my way out now.

As far as my 1000' question. I don't believe there are a separate set of transmitters for the fuel cars. It is up to the driver to shut it down.

✌️
There is a separate transponder for just the Fuel Cars. Joey is correct.

So, it is possible for the fuel cars to stay under power for 1320 ft.
But, why in the heck would anybody want to do that today?
Don’t get me wrong. I wish the fuel cars still competed for 1320 ft. But it’s not going to happen.
I wonder if NHRA, because of Salinas’ interview, is going to move the fuel transponders back, closer to the 1000 ft mark.

Just as Joey said, they are mounted just past the 1320' on the right hand wall and only work for the Fuel Cars.

There is a separate transponder for just the Fuel Cars. Joey is correct.
Thanks Joshua,
I guess I was expecting a distance number. 450', and 400' past the stripe are not what I would consider "just past". I know the driver has time to get everything together before the auto system kicks in.

I apologize to you Joey!
And everyone else as well.

I was not trying to be a D*ck. I knew that there was a set distance, just not what that distance was.

I think this has been cleared up very nicely now. So I will go back to my regularly scheduled programming.

🤍

Last edited:
I don't think any driver is going to the 1320 for the thrill or fun of it. This is not a Carnival ride and driving becomes technical a lot more than adding 320 feet to the run for fun. Last year Mike said he was having a hard time (Everyone else also) getting parts near the end of the season because of shortages and he is a smart businessman that would not waste parts. It is very possible that he said he drove that far to justify why the car was underweight because of fuel used. If the engine turns approximately 500 revolutions under power in 1000 feet you would be adding another 100 revolutions which is a large amount of fuel consumption at 8.57 lbs. per gallion (90% @ 60 degrees) These cars loose a bunch of timing once they hit the chip and there is no reason to overdrive them. If the Tune Up is right they are done at 1000 feet anyway and the CC would be tearing his hair out because the driver was not being consistant.

Last edited:
How much extra fuel would be burned while covering the extra 320 ft?
I think the tank would be very close to getting sucked dry, unless a larger than normal tank is used.

That is a little hard to say since these numbers are estimations as to what the fuel pump is bypassing at that point and how far (Revolutions) it went under power. It is normal to have two to three gallons left on a normal run I believe. But: it would be theoretically possible to drop up to maybe 10 lbs. in a perfect situation but that situation is Slim or None and Ol' Silm is skating on very thin ice. I still believe that the "Driving it out the back door" statement is (was) a CYA explanation that didn't fly.

We will never know what the reason NHRA took the points away but not the win also. Mike knows why that was done and unless he tells why we will never know because NHRA will never explain it.

We will never know what the reason NHRA took the points away but not the win also. Mike knows why that was done and unless he tells why we will never know because NHRA will never explain it.
Mike said today the car will weigh exactly the same in Phoenix so I guess we'll see if the scales were off.

Words used: theoretically, I believe, hard to say, I don't believe, I'm guessing, Am I wrong. NO ONE KNOWS!

I doubt he literally drives it 1320. Seems like a rewatch of a few races would clear up if he drives it deep or not

I doubt he literally drives it 1320. Seems like a rewatch of a few races would clear up if he drives it deep or not
Seems like a quick look at his racepak would answer everything.

If his crew chief is telling him not to do it, that is another pretty good indicator as well. I don't know what and who to believe anymore.

Clay sure seems to know exactly where he lifts, within feet, if you ever watch his videos.

Last edited:
The first thing I read about this violation was a mathematical error on NHRA's part that affected the weight. I also understand that regardless of what NHRA says it's ultimately the team's responsibility to know what their car weighs. I take all that to mean that since NHRA may have decided they were halfway responsible for the error they'd only dish out a halfway punishment.

I don't understand the 1320 statement at all. "I ran the car to 1320 because I'm not stopping. Every run I ran to 1320 because the car felt so good, even though I'm not supposed to. My crew chief told me not to do that." We have no idea what was going through Salinas' mind but that's what he said - and if that's the case it sounds reckless as hell to me. They all 'drive it out the back door' when the race is close but that back door isn't 320 feet long.

I watched the video of the final round; there's about 2-3 tenths of a second chopped out of both the video and the audio right before the cars reach the 1000' blocks and you can't tell if Salinas stayed in it or not.

Last edited:
And all the 1320' talk may be just another TOWL thrown over the pedal. Just to create questions and head scratching.
Could be, but to me it's just something to jawbone about on here. Just hope he doesn't try it on tracks with short shutdowns (Pomona, etc.) and it's his parts he's risking. My only issue with it is that a related incident could affect someone other than him - like the person in the opposite lane.....IF it's more than what you're saying, just Terrible Towel talk.

I’m just going to go enjoy some racing🙂

7F45653A-4366-49DE-8BD1-FE997C0C72A6.jpeg

still amazes he can even get down the track after AJ couldn't deliver any consistency, and RF couldn't get DK any consistency either.....RF to MS and magic. light or not.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back