So, what was the infraction? (1 Viewer)

"According to a source, incorrect information was reportedly conveyed to the team, which led to a mistake..."
"The NHRA tech department made a mathematical error in weighing the car...,"

OR- Another hypothetical, I'm pretty sure some tracks have scales that are not long enough for a fuel dragster. So they measure with the back wheels on, then the front wheels on, and come up with the overall weight. Same thing applies with the above scenario from there.
As to the mathematical error, they need to use a calculator ( if they don't already) to eliminate errors. This is a PROFESSIONAL organization. Not really a good excuse for this error on nhra's part.

It would behoove the crew chief or car chief to watch the crew at the scales. They know what the car and driver weigh. Even taking into account the difference between scales.
When we ran super comp, the car was placed on the scale, rear wheels on, the front end would be picked up and a block put under a front crossmember putting all of the weight on the scale.
Maybe they do it differently now, it has been a couple of years...
My .02 worth... I will step off the soapbox now... 🙄

Oh yeah, when was the last time the scales were calibrated?
Nhra has enough equipment going from race to race, they could carry some sort of check standards to check each tracks scales.
There was a lot to the calibration of equipment we used where i retired from, and I was the one who handled most of it. Nhra knows, or should know what to do.
If not I would be glad to share some info. I don't feel like typing on my phone anymore, time for dinner! 😁

Just thinking out loud here..... But to go along with what you're saying, I've seen wind cause problems when weighing a car. Especially cars with large wings designed to provide down force when air flows over them. I could imagine a scenario where the car weighed slightly heavy (with a slight wind present) then the team removes a few pounds..... then the next time the car is weighed, it ends up slightly underweight. (with no wind present) Just a thought....

That happened in comp at a Division race at Sonoma years ago. Wind was blowing pretty hard from the finish line and the car came up light at the scales in the final round because the wind was getting under the back of the car. Some used plywood sheets to try to block it on their cars. Car was legal weight all weekend prior. They wanted to turn the car around and face the wind but the folks at the scales said "Nope" and tossed them. I think I remember his name but I'll wait to see if anyone else remembers.

That happened in comp at a Division race at Sonoma years ago. Wind was blowing pretty hard from the finish line and the car came up light at the scales in the final round because the wind was getting under the back of the car. Some used plywood sheets to try to block it on their cars. Car was legal weight all weekend prior. They wanted to turn the car around and face the wind but the folks at the scales said "Nope" and tossed them. I think I remember his name but I'll wait to see if anyone else remembers.
Yep.... I'm pretty sure it was affecting the pro stock cars as well. Maybe not that same event, but I seem to remember people like WJ, GA, and a few others complaining about the wind at the scales.

I may be mistaken but the crew chiefs know exactly what their car weights. There are only a few things that can effect the weight from the pits to the finish line and its taken into consideration by the team. If NHRA had enough of issue with his weight to fine him 20 points he was obviously underweigh. So the question is would he have won if his car met the legal weight. THE WIN SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY!

DIFFERENT SUBJECT: In a interview with Mike he said he was driving his car to 1320, not 1000 ft. Fuel racing was reduced from 1320 to 1000 for a very good reason. Anyone that not only does that but admits it openly as part of his having fun should not only have their head examined but NHRA should have a serious discussion with him. Just my simple opinion...

Last edited:
I think it was more like the Argument clinic on Monty Python….
Salinas - “we’re underweight”
NHRA - “ No your not”
“Yes I am “
“ No your not”
“Yes I am “
“ No your not”
“Yes I am “
“ No your not”
“Yes I am “
“ No your not”
“Well I guess you’re the boss of these things, I must have read the scale wrong”.
“We’re fining you”
“WHY?”
“You’re underweight “…….

“No I’m not…..”
“We’re done arguing with you Mike”….

I may be mistaken but the crew chiefs know exactly what their car weights. There are only a few things that can effect the weight from the pits to the finish line and its taken into consideration by the team. If NHRA had enough of issue with his weight to fine him 20 points he was obviously underweigh. So the question is would he have won if his car met the legal weight. THE WIN SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY!

DIFFERENT SUBJECT: In a interview with Mike he said he was driving his car to 1320, not 1000 ft. Fuel racing was reduced from 1320 to 1000 for a very good reason. Anyone that not only does that but admits it openly as part of his having fun should not only have their head examined but NHRA should have a serious discussion with him. Just my simple opinion...

Guessing it would be hard to take away a win due to them playing a role in the infraction.

Ted I know exactly what you're referring to as we deal with it on a constant basis. I'm an Auburn fan and I have to live amonst them. They sold their sole to the devil with this latest fiasco.

With all due respect, I don't believe this for a second.
If you can find the interview, that would be great.
I know there were at least a few years after Scott Kalitta's death (when NHRA switched to 1000') that several drivers would continue to drive their cars to the 1320 foot finish line. Contrary to what the NHRA wants everyone to believe, not all teams and team owners were happy about the switch. I personally had a top fuel team owner tell me to my face that his driver asked him specifically if he was allowed to drive it all the way to the 1320 foot finish line. The owners answer was.... "As long as they put enough fuel in it, you can drive it as far as you want". This was probably 2009, or so..... maybe 2010. I'm not saying this is still happening today but it was somewhat common back then. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, at one point the NHRA put out a statement (maybe more than once) reminding the nitro teams that their finish line is at 1000 feet. Apparently, enough nitro drivers were still running to 1320 they felt the need to issue a statement about it.

I doubt it’s common today but it is just a car after all….. Technically the driver can let off the gas pedal whenever he wants..... especially when you're the owner AND the guy paying the parts bill. lol

I am shocked. And I agree with you Terry.

I heard it was because he added a wooden block to "gas" pedal. He was fined because the rules clearly state it must be a non flammable block.

I don't know why Mike was fined, how far he drove it to, or what the car weighs, but, if your going to drive out the back door, Gainesville is the place to do it....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back