slow down fuel cars 2019 first steps (1 Viewer)

Those are all good methods and easy to police. They have the blowers off and apart enough to do a quick visual or measure. P&G gauge to check displacement, and Whistler to check CR. Count teeth on pulleys to figure blower overdrive. Just to keep everybody honest ;)

1aomg.jpg

I wish they would they would continue find ways to remove grip. Leave the engines, blowers and clutches alone.

When I raced they didn't prep tracks and it was no big deal VHT, but with et and speeds they're running now it has become a safety factor.

CompetitionPlus.com has obtained a copy of a letter dated Nov. 20 that NHRA sent to nitro teams regarding its plans to continue with the track prep in the 2019 season
--does not intend to implement a performance-based mechanical change in Top Fuel and Funny Car to start the 2019 season
-- In the letter it states, if mechanical changes are deemed necessary, at present we believe they would most likely be implemented in the order shown below (subject to change):

but I do not know when the decision was made to go forward with step 1)

another small note:
last year the TF rear tires were available in 2 rollout # 113.5 to 115 ",,, 115 is no longer made (NHRA requirement) 113.5 " max
I wonder if some teams have a few left ??

Years ago Dale Armstong did some testing with Prudhommes Miller Lite car. The changes did exactly what NHRA wanted and they still didnt do a thing. NHRA and the drivers are gonna price this sport right down the drain if they dont do something! Crew Chiefs will always find a way to go quicker, faster thats their job. Im not gonna say do this or do that to the motors cause everyone will get their panties in a bunch. If NHRA would have changed things after Dale tested for them, things would be a whole lot different and Im guessing for the better.

We had a tire shrinker when I was with Nickens. I built it and was pretty proud of it. In Pro Stock at the time smaller was better. and I could take a 103" and make it 99".

Alan

How did you make a tire shrinker?

They're not using all the power they have now. No matter what NHRA does the crews will find the speed, it's the, nature of the beast.

We had a tire shrinker when I was with Nickens. I built it and was pretty proud of it. In Pro Stock at the time smaller was better. and I could take a 103" and make it 99".

Alan
Would that work on my spare tire? Gotta go down past 40"

Years ago Dale Armstong did some testing with Prudhommes Miller Lite car. The changes did exactly what NHRA wanted and they still didnt do a thing. NHRA and the drivers are gonna price this sport right down the drain if they dont do something! Crew Chiefs will always find a way to go quicker, faster thats their job. Im not gonna say do this or do that to the motors cause everyone will get their panties in a bunch. If NHRA would have changed things after Dale tested for them, things would be a whole lot different and Im guessing for the better.

Jerry,

I was there for that and it was an interesting experiment, low compression and slow blower and it went 4.80's right at 300 mph (1/4 mile) without hurting a part. But that's testing, not racing.

I asked him: "Would you run the car like that if Bernstein was in the other lane?"

And he said "Of course not, I would have to get after it."

Would things have changed had those rules been implemented? I'm sure they would have, but I don't think it would have been long before everyone found another way to make up for it. As you said, that's what they do.

Alan

i like the current less track prep. there have been a few periods in the past as well as now, where the mechanical side hasn't changed that much for a period of years and it gives
crew chiefs (who bounce from team to team) a chance to 'catch up' and brings parity, and also entices new blood the step up to pro level. gone are the years of coil and armstrong
who would innovate faster than everyone could keep up.

Jerry,

I was there for that and it was an interesting experiment, low compression and slow blower and it went 4.80's right at 300 mph (1/4 mile) without hurting a part. But that's testing, not racing.

I asked him: "Would you run the car like that if Bernstein was in the other lane?"

And he said "Of course not, I would have to get after it."

Would things have changed had those rules been implemented? I'm sure they would have, but I don't think it would have been long before everyone found another way to make up for it. As you said, that's what they do.

Alan
still showed them what they wanted though.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back