Shirley wins again (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member

Good for her.
“I made a pass at night at 5:30 – dead dark, not a light in the facility because they raced in the daytime,” she related. “Officials were mad. I said, ‘Calm down, guys, let us do what we do best.’ I had them put up a spotlight in the traps – 1,320 feet, not a thousand feet; we ran a real race track back then.
Yeah baby! Tell it like it is!

Back in the early '90s Shirley Muldowney was part of our group that shipped our race cars to Japan under the direction of Carl Olson and Melvin Record with the NHRA. I'll never forget one evening after the sun went down. It was almost totally dark, there were no lights on the track at Fuji International Speedway. Rahn Tobler started Shirley's car. Keep in mind nobody was getting down this track. When she pulled up to go we figured she would do like everybody else did and smoke the tires but no, she launched hard and blazed through 1/4 mile traps in the dark with a massive V of header fire lighting up the rear wing. If I remember correctly I think she ran a 5.30 at almost 290 miles per hour. To this day that's the most impressive run I've ever seen.
japan_1993_1994_8a70f1f90cd97fd8e2ffeab0b2af3089b97c6516.jpg

Japan hosted those races for a few years. Was really an internationals meet, w/ entries fro UK & Australia if I remember right. One year an Australian drive won T/F, & I'm spacing the name.

Japan hosted those races for a few years. Was really an internationals meet, w/ entries fro UK & Australia if I remember right. One year an Australian drive won T/F, & I'm spacing the name.

It was actually a private promoter there who bankrolled the events. As the story goes, the promoter's wife was the one with the $$, and one day she caught him with his pen in someone else's ink well so to speak. That was the end of the International Drag Race events in Japan.

I was there for on of the events. Shirley was there and the jet limo. I was down at the finish line when one of the alky funnycars came through on fire. There was no safety people down there. I thought he was in big trouble. He got stopped and got out through the hatch. After about 10 minutes a couple of guys in a small pickup showed up. I went back to the alky pits and warned all of the guys.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back