Sfi certification (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
Randy with your contact with Arnie, or anyone else who might have this SFI knowledge.
If a person or manufacturer decides to manufacture a product that falls under the guidelines of requiring a SFI certification fills out the necessary paperwork and submits the item and specs for SFI testing does SFI have to accept this item for review and certification or can they reply that at this time they are not reviewing this item?
An example would be if I were to develop a transmission shield and I build it to SFI specs and submit everything necessary to SFI can they, at their discretion, reply back to me that at this time, for whatever reason, they are not going to proceed with the certification process?
I am trying to learn more about the SFI process, etc., not in any way trying to degrade SFI. I have since their beginning believed in SFI and before them SEMA.

As SFI does not have the ability to check each and ever item that is manufactured there has to be a high degree of trust that manufacturing of an item is going to be exactly what has been approved. If the manufacturer is questionable I would not expect SFI to consider the product.

Terry; better still, if your 5 yr. old kindergartner made one from school materials, and you applied for testing, while of course supplying a check for the application fees and testing, my guess is they would proceed.
Even if you yourself built it from materials you believe the other mfg.'s are using, it still has to go for testing and application fee, before your product is certified. You then commit and swear, promise, and guarantee that every one you build after, will be exactly "that" which you submitted.
If anything fails testing, they will tell you how and where it failed, but will not return what's left of it, or suggest how to fix it.
They are also known to have someone purchase a certified product for them for random testing. This has caused other de-certifications in the past.
Remember, they don't write the rules, only produce a spec. that is agreed by committee of mfg's.

From the SFI web site:

April, 2010

JOINT PRESS RELEASE

April 1, 2010 - Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc., in the litigation pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, have agreed that:

1. Impact Racing, LLC has provided sworn testimony that, upon review and investigation, no counterfeit SFI Conformance Labels have been used on Impact Racing products during the production years of 2009 and 2010.

2. Impact Racing, LLC has provided sworn testimony that, upon review and investigation, all Impact Racing products manufactured and sold during the production years 2009 and 2010 meet SFI specifications.

3. Based upon this sworn testimony, the decertification against Impact Racing products for the production years 2009 and 2010 is lifted. The decertification of the production years prior to 2009 and 2010 remains in effect. The parties will continue to work cooperatively in an effort to resolve the issues relating to decertification in these years.

4. Impact Racing stands behind the safety of all products it has manufactured and to which SFI Conformance Labels have been affixed. SFI will continue to monitor compliance with product specifications.

5. Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc. will cooperate in determining whether any Impact Racing product bears a counterfeit SFI Conformance Label and if any safety issue exists in regard to products manufactured prior to 2009 and 2010.

6. If any Impact Racing product does not bear the date of manufacture the purchaser or user is instructed to immediately contact Impact Racing who will provide verification of the date of manufacture. Impact Racing, LLC will immediately notify SFI Foundation, Inc. of this occurrence. Impact Racing, LLC and SFI Foundation, Inc. will work with the sanctioning bodies to determine the best method for product users to present verification of the date of manufacture.

Randy with your contact with Arnie, or anyone else who might have this SFI knowledge.
If a person or manufacturer decides to manufacture a product that falls under the guidelines of requiring a SFI certification fills out the necessary paperwork and submits the item and specs for SFI testing does SFI have to accept this item for review and certification or can they reply that at this time they are not reviewing this item?
An example would be if I were to develop a transmission shield and I build it to SFI specs and submit everything necessary to SFI can they, at their discretion, reply back to me that at this time, for whatever reason, they are not going to proceed with the certification process?
I am trying to learn more about the SFI process, etc., not in any way trying to degrade SFI. I have since their beginning believed in SFI and before them SEMA.

As SFI does not have the ability to check each and ever item that is manufactured there has to be a high degree of trust that manufacturing of an item is going to be exactly what has been approved. If the manufacturer is questionable I would not expect SFI to consider the product.

Pretesting is required by independent labs. Some tests must be done by specific labs and some by submitting manufacturers choice. Once pretested submitted item goes thru SFI testing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back