SEMA Show cancelled for 2020 (1 Viewer)

I figured it was only a matter of time after two shows I had reservations for during that time were canceled today and CES indicated they were going to go virtual in 2021. Now, what will happen to NHRA Vegas 2?
With the current restrictions in Vegas, it looks very unlikely at this point. I do not think the cancelation of the SEMA show will affect the decision on holding the race. It would affect the number of spectators but highly doubtful they would be allowed to have a large crowd anyway.

Criminy - I'm booked for Halloween weekend. There had better be a race! Grrrr!

Criminy - I'm booked for Halloween weekend. There had better be a race! Grrrr!
As am I. I know quite a few people in Vegas and they highly doubt it happens. My fingers are crossed but I don’t see much happening between now and then that will allow fans in the stands.

With the current restrictions in Vegas, it looks very unlikely at this point. I do not think the cancelation of the SEMA show will affect the decision on holding the race. It would affect the number of spectators but highly doubtful they would be allowed to have a large crowd anyway.
They probably will have the Div7 race since not that many spectators.

Am hoping Wild Horse has a Div 7 race as well. Thought: If Vegas canceles their race, maybe it could be held at Wild Horse? Oct 9-11 is the Wild Horse date.... so far.

Am hoping Wild Horse has a Div 7 race as well. Thought: If Vegas canceles their race, maybe it could be held at Wild Horse? Oct 9-11 is the Wild Horse date.... so far.
Vegas won't cancel their Divisional Race. They've been open pretty much through the entire pandemic. WHP is reopening this weekend for our Summit ET Racing Series (no spectators) - and mandatory face coverings for everyone anytime they are outside in public. Pretty much identical to requirements at an NHRA National Event currently.

We also announced last night that the Desert Classic bracket event will go on as scheduled - September 9th through 13th - with same guidelines - no 'spectators'.

Unless the Governor of the Gila River Tribal Community lifts their stay at home executive order prior to the Divisional - I wouldn't expect any spectators to attend.

Vegas won't cancel their Divisional Race. They've been open pretty much through the entire pandemic. WHP is reopening this weekend for our Summit ET Racing Series (no spectators) - and mandatory face coverings for everyone anytime they are outside in public. Pretty much identical to requirements at an NHRA National Event currently.

We also announced last night that the Desert Classic bracket event will go on as scheduled - September 9th through 13th - with same guidelines - no 'spectators'.

Unless the Governor of the Gila River Tribal Community lifts their stay at home executive order prior to the Divisional - I wouldn't expect any spectators to attend.

What sense does it make to continue this season? No fans or spectators every day more races are canceled. Who would want to win any championship under these conditions?
Are you willing to risk your life to go to one more drag race? If the answer is yes please think of what your family and what they would do if you were no longer around. Do you have grandkids?

For me, my health and family come first. There will always be another season of drag racing but first, you have to survive this season.

Jim Hill

I've done a risk assessment of the possibilities and decided to go racing. To each his own. Don't blame others for difference of how to live their lives.

BTW, The Auto Club Famoso Raceway is up and running (we'll be there in two weeks with the ANRA), while The Auto Club Dragway in Fontana has closed down for the year. The irony is though is that they're running other motorsports events there.

Gino, how about Barona? Is it running/ And Irwindale - running drags? Didn't know Fontana had closed. ARGHHH

Tim, thanks for the info on Wild Horse. Am bummed, really wanted to go to the Desert Classic & Divisional. Sigh

I'm just waiting for the PRI show in indy in december to get cancelled next.Waiting to book flights AND see if the border opens up.

There will probably be a record number of "family" and "crew member" tickets sold at those events. 😉

Maybe I could enter my trusty Honda Fit in the Desert Classis. Lessee, dial it "hot" at 19.10 and go from there.......
Well, since it's 1/8th mile - you might be safe to dial 10-flat and drive that stripe...lol

Follow the WHP Team Summit page on Facebook Cliff to receive updates on the track activity - especially for notification if spectators are permitted.

Thanks Tim. I forgot that event is 1/8 mile and that is why I really wanted to see it. Have never been to 1/8 mile track, so thought this would be a good way to see 1/8 mile racing. OK, maybe the track will relent. I could be the Official Spectator for one day at least. :)

Limited to (6) total per entry. Have at it.
It was a joke, Tim....

Im nowhere near Chandler AZ and have no intentions of attending any races this year at WHP.

I went to a drag race over the 4th of July weekend where only crew and family were allowed, according to the track's website.... The place was packed like any other year. I was never asked at the gate who I was, or why I was there. They simply took my money. Official rules are one thing (to satisfy the authorities) but what happens in real life can be something completely different.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back