Sam's tech buying tips. (1 Viewer)

There is only ONE real issue with computers and software: THE USER.

I have a Dell laptop, and have had Dell laptops for almost 11 years now (I am on my 7th ... 6 were provided by work, I bought 1) and have NEVER had a problem. I seriously doubt I would have a problem with a HP or Mac either.

Most A/V proggies work just fine if you keep them updated and you pay attention to what you are downloading and what websites you go to. DILIGENCE is the best anti-virus.

The BEST advice is to actually learn about your PC and software to effectively use both with minimal hassle.

Well Dell laptops are very good providing you stay away from the low-end models and all the retail units.

As far as A/V software, I personally use AVG (was the only one that had 64-bit support when I first built my rig) but when my subscription runs out i'm going to install VIPRE.

To be truthful, a good A/V is only have the story for a clean machine. As long as you use a good browser (read: NOT internet explorer) with the right add-ons you'll be fine.

I personally use Firefox with Adblock Plus and Noscript and have not had to run a single virus scan with my A/V software yet.

There is only ONE real issue with computers and software: THE USER.
Most A/V proggies work just fine if you keep them updated and you pay attention to what you are downloading and what websites you go to. DILIGENCE is the best anti-virus.

The BEST advice is to actually learn about your PC and software to effectively use both with minimal hassle.

As an IT Manager this is so true, and with just a little bit of education for your users you can eliminate all of your PEBKAC errors.

One brand I have failed to see mentioned here is Lenovo. We have been deploying them for the last 9 months and I have yet to see one fail, I have been very happy with them and have bought over 20 of them in the 9 months. One other brand that I will forever stay away from are Acers, their repair policies for laptops suck big time!! If one goes down, you have to ship it to Texas for repair, but if you have a tower, they can dispatch someone that day. I have seen 6 - 8 of them have hardware issues, including 3 of them come out of the box with bad roms.

We run Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition and in the three years I have been here there has been one instance of a virus, and he was on sites he wasn't suppose to be. And even though they don't make it anymore, (it's called endpoint and they have changed it all around) I make them downgrade me back to 10 on my licenses so that we can keep running it.

my 2 pennies worth.

Lenovo is an excellent brand, you pay a little more but as they say "you get what you pay for."

Our new hires are getting Lenovos (basically IBMs) and within the next few months my laptop will rotate from Dell to the Lenovo. Our new hires seem pleased with them, and I am glad others have had good experiences with them. It will be the first time in TWELVE years I have used anything but a Dell laptop ....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back