Safeway Sandblasting info... (1 Viewer)

Bill

Nitro Member
I have been around drag racing as a rabid spectator since 1955 (no typo) and have seen lots of racing operations come and go. In all the years I have been interested in drag racing, I have noticed the name "Safeway Sandblasting," time and time again, but there doesn't seem to be any online information as to who the person, or persons is/are who shell(s) out the money to make this racing activity happen.

In a brief online search, I have been able to learn that the spectrum of Safeway Sandblasting's activities is amazingly large in their breadth and scope. The racing attached to that name includes a variety of cars in varied classes over a 30- or 40-year period. There are Bonneville cars, drag cars such as a unique Supercharged Gas Coupe (ARDUN-powered, yet,) Alcohol Dragsters and T/F cars. I'm sure I've only scratched the surface....

The variety is just astounding.

This forum has some really knowledgable people on it, folks with lots of experience and historical perspective. Can anyone here tell me who it is at Safeway Sandblasting that has caused this amazing array of cars to be raced over such a long period of time? Is it more than one person?

If there is an online website that has information where I could learn something about this guy, or these persons, I'd surely like to know.

Whoever it is, took an ARDUN conversion Ford flathead, hooked it to a B & M Hydro (no mean feat!,) stuffed it into a '41 Willys coupe, took it to the Pomona Winternationals and beat all the Chevy-V8-powered cars for the C/GS trophy in about 1963.... bizarre!

Who IS this AMAZING masked man????

Thanks for any information...

Bill

Last edited:
Gosh Bill, you opened a six-pack of worms here!
I only know there were many family players involved and a few generations.
Safeway-Master-Culver City-Marco-Hollywood =Sandblasting Co.'s.
You'd know the name Steve Levy (Wilcox & Levy AA/GD, 60's ) all the way to some sponsor deals involving TAD's of Bill Barney-Walt Roades and Kieth Stark.
Howard Marjama ran Culver, moved to Mpls., opened Marco and raced with many different drivers, son Gary moved to Miami/Hollywood, opened Hollywood, raced with Levy with different drivers, and also founded and still operates PRO JACK (when he's not in MN. fishing or playing golf).

You're right, if a book was written, it'd be really thick !!!

Call my dad Larry at Valley Head Service, 818-993-7000. He use to race against them at places like San Fernando and Lions. I even thing that he raced against them on the street. VHS is closed for the holidays, but will be opened again Jan. 3.

Happy hunting.

Call my dad Larry at Valley Head Service, 818-993-7000. He use to race against them at places like San Fernando and Lions. I even thing that he raced against them on the street. VHS is closed for the holidays, but will be opened again Jan. 3.

Happy hunting.

Thanks, Gino. I'll do that![SIZE="6"][/SIZE]

Gosh Bill, you opened a six-pack of worms here!
I only know there were many family players involved and a few generations.
Safeway-Master-Culver City-Marco-Hollywood =Sandblasting Co.'s.
You'd know the name Steve Levy (Wilcox & Levy AA/GD, 60's ) all the way to some sponsor deals involving TAD's of Bill Barney-Walt Roades and Kieth Stark.
Howard Marjama ran Culver, moved to Mpls., opened Marco and raced with many different drivers, son Gary moved to Miami/Hollywood, opened Hollywood, raced with Levy with different drivers, and also founded and still operates PRO JACK (when he's not in MN. fishing or playing golf).

You're right, if a book was written, it'd be really thick !!!

That's a lot of information; THANKS!!!
I just wondered who was responsible for "Safeway Sandblasting" ending upon such a HUGE variety of race cars over the years. Usually, a sponsor will pick out a class and stay with it. No so, here...

Go figure.

Bill

Last edited:
I just got a picture today of a FED blue & gold taken either late 60's or early 70's that has "Safeway Sandblasting" it's a beautiful dragster but I lost the pw's on my website and can't upload the picture...... If I can find my login info I will post it later.

Here's a photo a friend of mine took in 1964 I believe he said.

Wayne.

CALIF7-BONESBALOGH-SAFEWAYSANDBLASTING.jpg

Here's a photo a friend of mine took in 1964 I believe he said.

Wayne.

CALIF7-BONESBALOGH-SAFEWAYSANDBLASTING.jpg

Thanks, Wayne. That was a unique little car!!!! I think Bones Balough drove that ARDUN-hydro-equipped racer, and it probably didn't hurt that (I believe) he was the dyno operator at ISKY cams att that time. LOL!

It was the CG/S champ at Pomona one year... over all the Chevys and Oldsmobiles.

Just amazing!!!

Bill

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back