Safety questions (1 Viewer)

Nitro Kev

Nitro Member
Has anyone used the New R3 from satey solution? Im looking for pros and cons over the Hans device if there are any?

Thanks

I haven't used mine yet but I helped Jerry Hemmingson in Gainesville and he was wearing his. It was a bit uncomfortable at first not being able to tilt his head down however he got the job done.

We installed it per the directions and adjusted accordingly. We needed to move the Pad for the seat around a few times before he felt right in the car.

Once we get the other cars done we are going to get the Foam Seats fitted to each one of us to make the R3 a little more user friendly.

Our decision to go with the R3 over the HANS was the height of the piece behind the Helmet. Our concern with the HANS was it is much taller and can get caught in the Funny Car Cage while trying to exit the vehicle in a situation where one might find themself upsidedown (I have experienced that). Once I watched Jerry enter and exit his car while wearing the R3 the reduce height also makes it easier to get in and out.

Hope that helps...

Pat

Thanks for the reply, its actually gonna be used for my son racing midgets. In talking with some people they suggest the r3 over the hans because eventaully my son could outgrow the hans, and apparrently the r3 is adjustable to a degree. There is now way I can put my kid into a car without one at this point. Thanks for the info
K

Just for the record, both FC Finalists at both G-ville and Houston wear the R-3, as well as ALL of the Force drivers!

Just because everyone is using it doesn't mean it's the best. Last I heard, the HANS device is still the only aproved head and neck restraint in NASCAR and I know that they have done the research to prove it's the safest. As for getting out of the car, I can agree that it's a little difficult if your not used to it. But not wearing one would be like cutting off your leg to save your foot (sorry Pat). Also for the HANS device to reach it's full safety potential, it must be coulpled with a good seat. Not just a piece of carbon rolled between some framework. In my opinion, that's the area where drag racing is lightyears behind other forms of motorsports when it comes to safety.

Last edited:
One more thing...

I've never worn an R3 but it is a spin off of the old Hutchens device (same company as well) and, in a decent frontal impact, those straps between the legs on them were known to take a guy right out of the gene pool if you know what I mean.

Just because everyone is using it doesn't mean it's the best. Last I heard, the HANS device is still the only aproved head and neck restraint in NASCAR and I know that they have done the research to prove it's the safest.

You think these guys would use something they have NO confidence in? I doubt it!

Whatever you do, if you get the HANS, make sure you get the quick disconnect option. You'll be glad you did, it's worth the little extra.

Just because everyone is using it doesn't mean it's the best. Last I heard, the HANS device is still the only aproved head and neck restraint in NASCAR and I know that they have done the research to prove it's the safest. As for getting out of the car, I can agree that it's a little difficult if your not used to it. But not wearing one would be like cutting off your leg to save your foot (sorry Pat). Also for the HANS device to reach it's full safety potential, it must be coulpled with a good seat. Not just a piece of carbon rolled between some framework. In my opinion, that's the area where drag racing is lightyears behind other forms of motorsports when it comes to safety.

Adam...no need to apologize to me. Just where were you when we went shopping? I guess we can try them both. Glad to hear your reasoning.

Now that you let the cat out of the bag on safety, do you have any advise on another 40-50HP?:D

BTW Nice job last weekend #5...now lets get #1! Anything I can do to help???

You think these guys would use something they have NO confidence in? I doubt it!

I'm not saying that the R3 is a bad deal. I just think it's being looked at as the "trick of the week". One guy gets one, then the other guy has to have one. All debating aside, it's still better than nothing and they both can save your life. That's all that matters.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back