Rule Changes You Want To See in 2020 (1 Viewer)

I do thank you! Its still a time waster,id rather watch jr dragster lol.
i know it's beating a dead horse, but if i could run nhra, on fridays and saturdays i would make sure there were at least 2 hours of sportsman cars between the 2 pro Q sessions.
the money is made at the gate, then maybe parking, then maybe reserved seat, and MAYBE, just maybe someone buys a souvenir or concession before they get to their seat.
i want maximum time between pro rounds to get the paying customer up and out of their seat and into the pits and midway. rite now IMO folks are too rushed to get back to the bleacher seat
as the 2nd Q is starting almost as quickly as the last TF car goes down the track........i like this current trend of mixing up various classes at nat. events, but personally, i'm lucky if i see all the nitro
passes. i've got nitro to smell, people to see, food to eat and beverages to drink.........like i said in previous post somewhere; if the 4 day events with ample pit space would run 100+ car sportsman
fields, and have E1 and maybe even E2 on friday, you'd still have a LOT of rounds that could easily run between the pro Q sessions. i know the argument is the day gets too long, but i think it's worth
a try again. how to you sell midway space to potential customers/sponsors (and concession space for that mater too) if the fans are being rushed past you because there is no 'down time'? how
do you get Mr. and Mrs. Fan to spend the maximum amount of money in their wallets and purses? ......IMO gotta' give them a little more time. ...... and what do you get if you have 100+ sportsman
fields? more money.

Last edited:
I would like to see a rule, at least in the pro classes that you must run at least 3 of the available qualifying sessions. I can understand sitting out one, but I can't stand it when guys make 1 pass and collect the check.

Sorry. I can't agree with that. Some of the "Low buck" operations can only afford to make a minimum number of qualifying runs. If forced to make your minimum if 3 passes, they could not afford to stay in business. That would often result in shorter fields than we have already ! I have always respected the budget operations that spend their life savings to try to live their dreams of competing. And having these guys out there often guarantee full or almost full fields. So please don't put them out of business !

Sorry, but I just CANNOT agree with this. If fact, Iffen I were the NHRA rule czar, I'd eliminate injected nitro "alcohol" cars.

Agree 100%. Let the injected nitro cars be filler for Top Fuel and leave the alky cars in the alky classes. I don't envy NHRA when they try to make parity among various powerplants.

Then don't watch. go get a beer, buy a shirt, whatever.
I've never understood this mentality where some think everything that goes down the track must be interesting to them. Do they want to feel like they're obligated to be in the stands the entire time they're there or else they've missed something? And now I shut up about this so to avoid being pulled in further.

The only rules change I can think of offhand that I'd like to see is one guaranteeing no parity adjustments for classes with unequal combos after the halfway point in their seasons. By now, the packages should be dialed in enough that tweaking during the first half can keep the classes' integrity. I know some cars can still sandbag, but half a season is a long time, especially for any of the high-usage combos. However, this is a minor gripe, and probably not a reasonable one for 2020 with the new combos coming in PM.

I've never understood this mentality where some think everything that goes down the track must be interesting to them. Do they want to feel like they're obligated to be in the stands the entire time they're there or else they've missed something? And now I shut up about this so to avoid being pulled in further.

The only rules change I can think of offhand that I'd like to see is one guaranteeing no parity adjustments for classes with unequal combos after the halfway point in their seasons. By now, the packages should be dialed in enough that tweaking during the first half can keep the classes' integrity. I know some cars can still sandbag, but half a season is a long time, especially for any of the high-usage combos. However, this is a minor gripe, and probably not a reasonable one for 2020 with the new combos coming in PM.
Who wants to watch a car launch then fall on its face,boring! You never see fox show super gas in super slow doing a launch off the starting line its always ss or stock, but yea when 90 classes come up,good time to leave the seats and do something else lol. So i guess it works

Last edited:
As a kid Super Gas was one of my favorite classes not anymore. The 90 classes bring a ton of money so they need to stay, maybe in a different format though.

I'd like to see a wide open sportsman field. One class, no throttle stops, pick your number and go. I forgot what race I was at this year, maybe 131 in Michigan, but there was this 16 second car that kept going rounds and people were loving it. Watching it get these huge head starts and then hold off much faster cars. People will watch more than Nitro if there is something interesting and exciting. Yes to us addicts, its all interesting and exciting, but to the sad regular folk we need to lure them in a bit.

I do agree with the earlier comment about the rush feel of a race now. I go for the day and for the ticket prices I want to be entertained for the day. Especially on finals day I feel we've cut a few hours off and I see very little non-pro classes.

I agree that finals day is rushed, probably because of the TV show. A lot of the sportsmen classes are down to 8 cars and are the between round filler. OK, my wish for 2020 rules would be make S/C a 7.90 class. S/G would be 8.90. But I'd leave S/ST 10.90 and maybe make some rules that the car at least looks like a street driven car. S/ST is really IMO the only class with all types of cars, so interesting to watch from that standpoint. My 2 cents....

I was thinking about a pro only race one year at Ontario. T/F, F/C, Pro/S and Pro Comp. Was fun to watch but the down time got really boring towards the end. They had the usual wheelstanders, etc, but lotsa downtime. This has been discussed before, but what would happen today if there was a Pro race, & no sportsmen, except, say the alky classes & maybe T/D and T/S (cuz they are "fast" classes). Or maybe the Pro classes, & alky & blown fuel bikes, AA/FA, 8 car jet field, etc. Wishful thinking, huh?

I agree that finals day is rushed, probably because of the TV show. A lot of the sportsmen classes are down to 8 cars and are the between round filler. OK, my wish for 2020 rules would be make S/C a 7.90 class. S/G would be 8.90. But I'd leave S/ST 10.90 and maybe make some rules that the car at least looks like a street driven car. S/ST is really IMO the only class with all types of cars, so interesting to watch from that standpoint. My 2 cents....
I have not been to a divisional race in a few years so I don't know if they still run this class but 7.90 use to be S/E.

I have not been to a divisional race in a few years so I don't know if they still run this class but 7.90 use to be S/E.
A 7.90 index class has not been present at any divisional I've been to (competing or watching). If I had to guess, I'd say that was probably a precursor to TD and TS, but it could be that it was specific to certain divisions (like motorcycles or the heads-up snowmobiles).

The 7.90 class was disbanded maybe 10 - 15 years ago, after T/D and T/S were introduced. It was a great class to watch, as there were a variety of cars. Drgasters, altereds, door cars, etc. The class did morph into T/D and T/S. What made it fun to me was that it was fast, lots of blower cars. Denny Hills out of Phx area used to run that class & went on to T/D. S/C today can be really fast on the top end (saw a car that ran 197 at recent Div 7 race), but it's that sloooowwww bottom end that I dislike. And, just to stir the pot, maybe T/D and T/S should have a 6.40 index, altho if they did that, the top 31 Q would all be between 6.40 & 6.50..... heh Again, just my 2 cents.

A 7.90 index class has not been present at any divisional I've been to (competing or watching). If I had to guess, I'd say that was probably a precursor to TD and TS, but it could be that it was specific to certain divisions (like motorcycles or the heads-up snowmobiles).
I use to work on a car around 94 and 95 that ran 8.90 S/G at national events and 7.90 S/E at the division 7 races. I remember Korbel Champagne was the sponsor of the series at the time and use to put on one hell of a fire works and tri tip roast at the Sonoma race on the 4th of July weekend. Damn I miss those days.

8.90 and 9.90 racing is so 30 years ago.... The majority of the cars competing today are capable of e.t.'s almost 2 seconds quicker than that. Lower the index and eliminate some down track throttle stop, for goodness sake!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back