Ronnie Marcum (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
Heavy heart, today.

I got the word today that long time racer and friend Ronnie Marcum was tragically killed in a pit accident at Fontana this morning.

I've known Ronnie since we raced bracket one together in the 1970's at OCIR. We just lost his brother, Randy, not long ago due to a diabetic condition. Now another loss for his family.

Our condolences go out to his family.

Randy Goodwin

I Got the word about 2:00 pm our time. Very sad day indeed.

RIP Ronnie

Our prayers to his family and everyone involved......

Ronnie was quite a character. Only guy I've ever known that would place a for sale on a car he was still building, or had just bought! He never got too attached to his race cars and he had a ton of them over the years.

Good, good dude that will be sorely missed. Condolences to the entire Marcum family. They've been through alot over the last couple of years.

R.I.P. Pak Rat

:(Well said guys. We still have Randys RIP sticker on our car. Its terrible to have lost another great guy so soon. RIP Ronnie. Our prayers go out to the Marcum family.

I got the message early this morning during breakfast from a fellow racer....sad sad day and a real crappy way to go out....:(

THIS IS SO VERY SAD.....I REMEMBER HIM FROM OCIR.......SAD...

Ronnie was quite a character. Only guy I've ever known that would place a for sale on a car he was still building, or had just bought! He never got too attached to his race cars and he had a ton of them over the years. R.I.P. Pak Rat

THAT SOUNDS LIKE PHIL CAMERON...I don't think I ever saw one of his cars without a FOR SALE sign on it......

Re: Unconfirmed report surfaces on Fontana Auto Club Raceway tragic event-08/08/09

Didn't see the other thread! However the link in my initial post may offer additional insight to how this tragedy unfolded.

Last edited:
Re: Unconfirmed report surfaces on Fontana Auto Club Raceway tragic event-08/08/09

What I heard was that he had it up on a jack, without jackstands and it came off the jack.....there was also a fire after impact....ugly deal all around...:(

What I heard was that he had it up on a jack, without jackstands and it came off the jack.....there was also a fire after impact....ugly deal all around...:(

that's the way it was reported to me as well from a source that was at the track.

What a sad day.
I have know Ron since 75 both he and his brother live and breathe racing
And were best of friends.
He would do anything to help out everyone.
Rest in peace Ronnie.

The report said he hit at 100 mph, I wonder if he had a hung throttle on top of that. Just the T-brake failing wouldn't let him accelerate that fast.

The report said he hit at 100 mph, I wonder if he had a hung throttle on top of that. Just the T-brake failing wouldn't let him accelerate that fast.

From what I was told, yes

The Marcum family has been family friends since our days at Irwindale. They were fixtures at all the local tracks.

Deepest sympathies to the entire family from my son, Randy, and I.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back