Remember when? (1 Viewer)

George.

Nitro Member
Remember when the only way we got race results were from ND in the mailbox?
Remember when Big came back to the NHRA?
Remember when everyone wanted to yank the towel off of that fuel valve thing on Kenny Bernstein's chassis?
Remember when Fuzzy Carter threw down his hat at the first 4.99?
Remember when Joe Amato ran those funny car front tires on his dragster in Baton Rouge?
Remember Kim and Dick flat out getting it done all by themselves?
Remember Bob Gottschalk constantly setting the forest on fire?
Remember how incredibly tough Shirley Muldowney was every race?
Remember the yellow Somerset Regal?
It's tough to explain the incredible drama and weekly magic of the past NHRA to the next generation.

Care to add?

Drag News. Wait a week & get results. Also had ads for local tracks like Lions. I miss that paper, but we all want instant results today.

Great post ,not a re-post ,thanks for that. All of those remember whens, I could go wild with this.
*When Drag News and National Dragster would arrive as early as Thursday but usually Friday after the past weekends events.
*When SS&DI, Drag Racing USA, Drag Strip Magazine, Hot Rod and Car Craft hit the ol' mail box.
*Having so many choices of all types of racing in So-Cal in the 60's.
*Making tough decisions on what nitro shows to hit on Friday, Saturday and Sundays.
*The wild and crazy car rodeo in the early am. at Pomona when the gates opened on the final day and the scramble to park, race to get "our" seats and freezin' my keyster off in the stands.
*The roller starters at Lions, OCIR, and Pomona.
*Dragster Parades before round 1
*The first round of AA/FD at Bakersfield in 1966.

Many more to come.

TopFuel@Lions

Remember When....
* You could go to Lions, see 30 or 40 Top Fuelers try to make a 16-car or even an 8-car field, have qualified 8-car fields in Top Gas, Junior Fuel, a 4-car bracket in AA/GS and/or Junior Gas and have the program start at 7 and finish before 11:00pm.

*Consume In N Out style burgers at Irwindale.
*Cryin a river when OCIR charged a whopping $10.00 for a monster Funny Car show.
*Walking into Indianapolis Raceway Park for the first time for the "Big Go" in 1967.
*Having a "hemi" burger at Fremont.
*Going to Portland for their annual summer 32-car flopper meet then the next weekend going to the madness at S.I.R.

TopFuel@Lions

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back