RCMS=Ron Capps Motor Sports (1 Viewer)

Gazoo means "image". Yeah, I think the Toyota Supra F/C project a pretty good image. Doesn't hurt that the president of Toyota is a racer.

Gazoo means "image". Yeah, I think the Toyota Supra F/C project a pretty good image. Doesn't hurt that the president of Toyota is a racer.
There is only one Gazoo. "The Great Gazoo"
1651243214186.png

1651243429419.png

1651243753247.png

Remember when a Nitro Flopper actually looked real close to the street version.
1978 Plymouth Arrow ad, from the January 1978 issue of Super Stock & Drag illustrated

i remember that ad. funny how mind can recognize something 44 years old.
It's funny how I can remember this stuff, and know where to look for it in my pile
of 1500 plus drag rags. Drag rags and drag racing hat pins are my favorites.
Just got 2 new hat pins (old stock) up to 1,129 all drag racing pins.
My son calls it my scrap metal collection, maybe so. But this Blue Max pin from 1982,
I got the pin back in 1982 at the races for $2.00 this one sold for $116.50 on ebay last week.
I will never sell my pins, they are going with me in the oven!
1651590369861.png

1651608345831.png

AA/FC 1982 Ford EXP "Blue Max" nitro flopper. The late Raymond Beadle in the seat

Last edited:
Glidden said he put a 500" motor in that EXP & it was like driving an AA/FA. He didn't like that car..... Kenny Bernstein had an EXP. I know there were a few others. Who was the first driver to run 5.70's? that was a Ford EXP. Ran 5.79. Billy Meyer had one. I'm not gettin' squat on looking stuff up.

I think it was Jim Wemett who ran that 5.79. The 1982 funny car that I thought was really cool was Don Prudhommes' Pontiac Trans Am. I saw that car at the 1982 AHRA Winternats in Tucson, and was just astonished at how streamlined it was.

Last edited:
Glidden said he put a 500" motor in that EXP & it was like driving an AA/FA. He didn't like that car..... Kenny Bernstein had an EXP. I know there were a few others. Who was the first driver to run 5.70's? that was a Ford EXP. Ran 5.79. Billy Meyer had one. I'm not gettin' squat on looking stuff up.

I think it was Jim Wemett who ran that 5.79. The 1982 funny car that I thought was really cool was Don Prudhommes' Pontiac Trans Am. I saw that car at the 1982 AHRA Winternats in Tucson, and was just astonished at how streamlined it was.
Cliff, you and Terry have got it together. It's all rushing back to me now.

1651665628650.png

AA/FC Billy Meyer in the seat
1651666121295.png

AA/FC Jim Wemett with Tom Anderson in the seat
1651666421807.png

AA/FC Kenny Bernstein Mercury LN7 body flopper

Ah Mercury. Same difference.... heh I really think (uh oh) that there were more of these cars, just can't remember. Maybe TA/FC. Well, they were cool lookin' cars.

Here is a rare one. Mike Dunn in the Hawaiian Punch Ford EXP- Painted like an Omni. They had dates booked after the OCIR explosion and needed something asap. Story goes it was the Billy Meyer EXP which was sold to Steve Chrisman, and Roland bought it from Chrisman. The bottom photo shows the Omni for comparison.
7AE9335E-52D5-46CE-AC55-04AB9759CD6E.jpeg

I remember this. I think when Roland bought it, he knew it had been a nitro car, so it was easy to convert it back to to F/C. Never remember Billy Meyers' car, maybe cuz he didn't run it much & sold it to Chrisman. Ya know, the Omni was just as slick as the Ford/Merc (to me anyway). I remember that Dodge had Stock Elim Omni's with the turbo 4 cyl (?) and they were front wheel drive. The last time I went to OCIR was the last Div 7 race and I saw those Omni's running Stock. I had already moved to AZ at the time & wanted to go to the Div 7 race so I could roam around the track one last time & not have so many people there. Mark Niver won T/AD. That was cool to me cuz he was from Phoenix. Bad Brad Anderson won TA/FC. Long time ago in a galaxy far away.... heh

I remember this. I think when Roland bought it, he knew it had been a nitro car, so it was easy to convert it back to to F/C. Never remember Billy Meyers' car, maybe cuz he didn't run it much & sold it to Chrisman. Ya know, the Omni was just as slick as the Ford/Merc (to me anyway). I remember that Dodge had Stock Elim Omni's with the turbo 4 cyl (?) and they were front wheel drive. The last time I went to OCIR was the last Div 7 race and I saw those Omni's running Stock. I had already moved to AZ at the time & wanted to go to the Div 7 race so I could roam around the track one last time & not have so many people there. Mark Niver won T/AD. That was cool to me cuz he was from Phoenix. Bad Brad Anderson won TA/FC. Long time ago in a galaxy far away.... heh
Dodge Omni was slick as a funny car body, did make for a good looking flopper.
The street version, not so much
1651673415044.png

1651673448194.png

1651673747652.png

look at that burnout by the hustler. now that's entertainment......and now for another derailment. front spoiler of hustler.

Cliff, you and Terry have got it together. It's all rushing back to me now.

View attachment 10458
AA/FC Billy Meyer in the seat
View attachment 10460
AA/FC Jim Wemett with Tom Anderson in the seat
View attachment 10461
AA/FC Kenny Bernstein Mercury LN7 body flopper

We went to the 1982 Golden Gate Nationals at Fremont. Tripp Shumake was driving Meyer's LN7 (and ran his first 250 MPH) and Bernstein won the event in his LN7 (I believe his first win with Armstrong) Guess who was in the hotel room next to us ? Bernstein! They partied very late (understandable), and kept us awake all night ! Made for a very long drive home, but we couldn't be upset.Just another great drag racing memory!

Cliff it's time to get in the "WayBack Machine" and take a trip back to OCIR 3-27-1982
Looks like the Snake smoked some pistons on this run. The aluminum gods are happy.
Great sound turn it up! NHRA.TV take notice!!! Dig the dry hops

Last edited:

I read somewhere that Glidden said the EXP was bad handling due to the fact the chassis was built for the 351C, thus it was too flexible for the new 500" motor change that caught him off guard.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back