Rain in Gainesville, but get ready! (1 Viewer)

nick name

Nitro Member
There's a steady downfall outside my hotel room, and the parking lot has water running across it. Depending on whose report you listen to, it's supposed to stop between 10 am and 1 pm.

The big news is the cold front that's behind the rain. Though at the time I write this it's moving across Alabama, all sources expect for it to arrive here by no later than tomorrow - and bring high temperatures in the low to mid 60s.

I think all of us know what that means for a track like this one.

Get ready. This ought to be good.

Well the pro stock cars/motorcycles should certainly enjoy that... Maybe Andrew can hit some big numbers.

Michael

Maybe I missed something along the way. Why are they starting the pro rounds so early on a Friday out there? No night qualifying. Anyone have any idea? :confused:

The weather forecast calls for sunshine and upper 60's to lower 70's through the weekend. Yeah, I guess the normally aspirated junk should fly down there, IF, NHRA can keep the track in decent condition. And, that is a real big IF.

The guys that have it tough though are the Stock, Super/Stock and Comp guys. They run in the heat on Thursday, then have to come back and run eliminations under killer air conditions. Look for a few CIC hits this weekend. Should be fun!

Pat

Maybe I missed something along the way. Why are they starting the pro rounds so early on a Friday out there? No night qualifying. Anyone have any idea? :confused:

Not really all that different from last year. I think P/S went off at 12:00 and 4:00 on Friday and 12:00 and 3:00 on Saturday. You don't really like to run Gainesville at night. The weather cools off real fast and the humidity and dew move in making for a difficult racing surface. Also, the NHRA guys are getting much older......so they need more rest than just a few years ago! Just look at Reinhart, he needs all the rest he can get.

Pat

Thanks, Pat. I don't guess I've ever noticed that it started this early on Friday. But that makes sense.

You don't really like to run Gainesville at night. The weather cools off real fast and the humidity and dew move in making for a difficult racing surface.

In the past few years there have been some crashes in the sportsman categories when they have run well past dark. I believe it was either last year or the year before they had 2 crashes in one of the super cats, they called the session and finished it the next morning.

There's a steady downfall outside my hotel room, and the parking lot has water running across it. Depending on whose report you listen to, it's supposed to stop between 10 am and 1 pm.

The big news is the cold front that's behind the rain. Though at the time I write this it's moving across Alabama, all sources expect for it to arrive here by no later than tomorrow - and bring high temperatures in the low to mid 60s.

I think all of us know what that means for a track like this one.

Get ready. This ought to be good.

exactly why I haven't left orlando yet....the forecast was correct for a change! I was gonna drag the camper up there but now I'm thinking a tent is all I'll need. I don't plan on spending much time at the campground ;-)

tomorrow and sunday should be very nice for us fans in the stands...

Last edited:

Shan,

Gainseville has never had night qualifying since I've been going the past 17 years. Might be a good idea once in awhile since March is a mixed bag weather wise. We've had temps in the mid-high 80's at times for the entire weekend which turns the event into a smokefest, but we can also have cool or even cold days at this time of year. The threat of rain is always in the picture most years. As far back as I can remember, Pro Qualifying started at 11:00am on Friday, although it might be Top Alcohol F/C and TAD and then PSM/PSC. All I know is I wanted to be in the gates at 10:00am at the latest! Sounds like there will be considerable delays today and who knows, they may have a night session if the track is safe enough to handle the high horsepower. Seems like they actually have pushed back the start time for the Pro Classes by an hour on Friday but it could just be my foggy memory. :confused:

exactly why I haven't left orlando yet....the forecast was correct for a change! I was gonna drag the camper up there but now I'm thinking a tent is all I'll need. I don't plan on spending much time at the campground ;-)

tomorrow and sunday should be very nice for us fans in the stands...

Bob,

Just tried to PM you but couldn't get Nitromater's PM screen to open. Give me a heads up on your plan. Are you heading up later today? Just a tent huh?

You don't really like to run Gainesville at night. The weather cools off real fast and the humidity and dew move in making for a difficult racing surface.
Pat

You are right on the nose. Four years ago, we took our comp cars to the Gators and we were the last cars down the track on Friday night and it was pretty hairy-cars were moving around in ways you don't want to see your car move. The fact that daylight saving time started early this year may help them get a round of qualifying in today.

The fact that daylight saving time started early this year may help them get a round of qualifying in today.

According to my friend in SG they have 1st round sched at 6pm tonight. That was in the original sched, who knows now with the rain.

Last edited:
Bob,

Just tried to PM you but couldn't get Nitromater's PM screen to open. Give me a heads up on your plan. Are you heading up later today? Just a tent huh?

I tried to PM you too. yah just a tent..6 person tent so plenty of room if you want. I don't want to deal with having to go back and get the trailer after the race sunday . tent I can pack up and be off to the track in no time.

I tried to PM you too. yah just a tent..6 person tent so plenty of room if you want. I don't want to deal with having to go back and get the trailer after the race sunday . tent I can pack up and be off to the track in no time.

Bob,

I can't find a sleeping bag around here, but have sheets and blankets and stuff, have you got cots or what? When you leaving today?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back