Qualifying "lane choice" (1 Viewer)

stanzig44

Nitro Member
I have a question regarding qualifying "lane choice".
I know that the run order for the first shot of qualifying is reverse order of points (1 & 2 in points are last pair) and then Q2 and Q3 are reverse order of how they ran the previous session and then Q4 is reverse order of the qualifying order after Q3.

My question is "how is it determined who runs in what lane for Q1?" I understand that whatever lane you run in Q1 you would have to run the other lane for Q2, then Q3 would be he same lane as Q1 and Q4 would be the same as Q2, is this correct?

What got me thinking about this is Friday nights session is usually when steller numbers are run and is there a disadvantage for not being in the "better lane".

I have a question regarding qualifying "lane choice".
I know that the run order for the first shot of qualifying is reverse order of points (1 & 2 in points are last pair) and then Q2 and Q3 are reverse order of how they ran the previous session and then Q4 is reverse order of the qualifying order after Q3.

My question is "how is it determined who runs in what lane for Q1?" I understand that whatever lane you run in Q1 you would have to run the other lane for Q2, then Q3 would be he same lane as Q1 and Q4 would be the same as Q2, is this correct?

What got me thinking about this is Friday nights session is usually when steller numbers are run and is there a disadvantage for not being in the "better lane".

I know when we raced back home we received a "lane allocation" cards.

However, I would think that the points leader would get to choose.

In the Pros in both IHRA and NHRA #1 car in points is last out in the right lane, #2 in the left in that last pair. The program then takes it for previous runs or qualifed possision and sets the sequense at IHRA it is allways Right, Left, Left or Left, Right, Right, NHRA it is set acording to the time of day of the runs, you allways try to set it so they get oppiset lanes for the same time of day. It is normally Right, Left, Right, Left and L, R, L, R but can be set for R, L, L, R etc. So you have no choice, the program puts you where you are to be.

There is no lane choice for qualifying. Typically the lanes are assigned L,R, R, L and vice versa for the 4 sessions. Yes, the order is inverse of points for the first session and inverse of previous qualifying session from there on out. You will notice though that it will change and a higher qualified car will run sooner in a session. This is because the possibility of many runs in one lane being very good and runs in the other not so good. The must shift the ordeto accomodate all the pairings. Therefore it is possible for say the #8 and 9 qualified car to run in the last pair if they were the quickest in their lane in the previous session. They try as best they can to run pairs instead of singles.

First round of qualifying I believe they go by points. No. 1 in points gets his lane and also what position he will run in.

First round of qualifying I believe they go by points. No. 1 in points gets his lane and also what position he will run in.

Bob I think the #1 guy might get to chose what lane he wants for 1st qualifying run.. bur the order they run in is lowest car first highest car last.. That is for 1st round of qual .. then for round 2 they are in the opposite lane but the order is determined by the ET from the 1st qualifying round.. slowest first.. so if John Force ran 10.xx in first round he would be the first to run in round two but in the opposite lane..

Same applies for round 3 & 4...

As I posted above they do not get choice #1 in points last out in RIGHT lane, #2 last out in LEFT lane. Has been this way for 5 or 6 years now.
The run sequense is built in the Compulink system, first by points then by previous run or final qualifing depending on round. The sheets are given to the teams 1 hour before they run.

As I posted above they do not get choice #1 in points last out in RIGHT lane, #2 last out in LEFT lane. Has been this way for 5 or 6 years now.
The run sequense is built in the Compulink system, first by points then by previous run or final qualifing depending on round. The sheets are given to the teams 1 hour before they run.

thread hijack
Jeff was cool to see you on the ESPN coverage recently. Nice work!
/thread hijack

Okay, that's all clear as mud now.... rotflmao
Bottom line, 1st round, when you run is by points, 1 and 2 going last with # 1 in the right lane....
after that, Jeff's I-Pod decides :eek:

Thanks Charles, it was fun. We only had 6 minutes to shoot it in, Dunn and I messed up 1 shot each so we had to make it on that one. I havent even seen it yet.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back