Promotion idea for the NHRA (1 Viewer)

BOO BOO

Nitro Member
As big as social media is now days. NHRA should contact somebody that's huge in that world ( no idea who). Put them in Larry Dixon's 2 seater and make a pass during a national event. Make a big production out of it and depending on who it is it could reach millions.

They need to promote the sport, learn from the Bader family (and others like the Bandimeres and study the history of Broadway Metzler) and stay as far away from gimmicks as possible

As big as social media is now days. NHRA should contact somebody that's huge in that world ( no idea who). Put them in Larry Dixon's 2 seater and make a pass during a national event. Make a big production out of it and depending on who it is it could reach millions.
Yeah they could do like Art Arfons use to do with the Super Cyclops...oh wait nevermind.

Nhra literally has the most powerful vehicles on earth that shoot flames 5 ft. High at night time.. Their logic is to run limited night time sessions or even races. Insane to me.

Also, bring back throttle whacks. Award one bonus point to any team that does it during a warm up. I'd bet every team in contention would..

Nhra literally has the most powerful vehicles on earth that shoot flames 5 ft. High at night time.. Their logic is to run limited night time sessions or even races. Insane to me.

Also, bring back throttle whacks. Award one bonus point to any team that does it during a warm up. I'd bet every team in contention would..
The night sessions times has more to do with PRO than NHRA.

Telling the NHRA to study the history of Broadway Bob, but stay away from gimmicks seems somewhat contradictory
Do you remember The Olympics of Drag Racing? Three days and long, long nights of Top Fuelers and Funnies? With the place packed? Or when he had Force and Bazemore running @ 2 am in more recent times? If Broadway Bob is remembered only for gimmicks, it is a sad day.

Do you remember The Olympics of Drag Racing? Three days and long, long nights of Top Fuelers and Funnies? With the place packed? Or when he had Force and Bazemore running @ 2 am in more recent times? If Broadway Bob is remembered only for gimmicks, it is a sad day.
Yes I do, but I also remember at those events him having 2-3 wet t-shirts contests a night, Megasaurus dismantling a car on the return road, a jet car chained to an old beater in the middle of the field burning it to the ground, and him riding the Green Mamba to the starting line with an Old Style held to the sky and his boobs hat on. The two are not mutually exclusive.

They need to promote the sport, learn from the Bader family (and others like the Bandimeres and study the history of Broadway Metzler) and stay as far away from gimmicks as possible

Why not dip into some of Bill Doner's bag of tricks/ideas? Gimmicks or not I'd wager they'd bring in the people. We'd be there for sure!

finals in vegas to end sema week. cacklefests at sema. park 18 wheel rigs a block off downtown on wednesday evening. tow TF'rs and FC's with golf carts onto fremont street.
park in middle of street at angle till you have about 60+ cars/bikes lining the street. fire one car up if you could. i doubt that would be allowed.
create a drag racing video presentation that plays on light system above fremont street. have the driver stand at front of each vehicle and have joe castello walk down the line
and introduce each driver one by one. maybe mix up the line up, so it goes PSB, TF, PS, FC, repeat. have some sort of ticket promotion/give away.
maybe have the megarita machine there and blend up some free drinks for everyone. or sell each drink for $20 and get two free tickets for saturday or sunday.

BB was no longer the owner of Greatlakes Dragaway when Force & Bazemore ran there. Also, Force & Bazemore didn't run at 2am, nor was it at The Olympics of Drag Racing.

Do you all remember in the '90's, when there was a competition with TF, as to who could tear down the motor & then re-build it and start it up? I saw that in downtown Phoenix one year. That was pretty cool. Got people's attention when they fired up the motors. Would that work today?

Do you all remember in the '90's, when there was a competition with TF, as to who could tear down the motor & then re-build it and start it up? I saw that in downtown Phoenix one year. That was pretty cool. Got people's attention when they fired up the motors. Would that work today?
if i recall, i think cruz had hand or arm injury due to exploding parts as they fired after a 'fast' rebuild. mite have been in indianapolis?

I always wondered if they tried a 'Street circuit' type course for pro Drag racing. If u could find a half mile long straight road, place some temporary guard rails, temporary bleachers. If they can construct a 3 mile course for F1 or Indy Car, why not a a Drag strip. If you like that, my next Idea involves an aircraft carrier :p ( i actually think i read, years ago Garlits or Bernstein made a pass on a carrier)

( i actually think i read, years ago Garlits or Bernstein made a pass on a carrier)
I don't think BIG ever made a pass on a carrier, but there were advertisements (posters, banners, and such) with the Swamp Rat parked on a steam catapult on a US Navy carrier. (google it) And if I'm not mistaken, I've seen the same thing with Bernstein's car at one point or another. The Garlits deal was early in the early70's, and KB would have been somewhere in the 80's.... if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: And now that I think about it, the KB deal might have been just a drawing that I saw, not an actual photo of his car on a carrier. I'm sure someone with a better memory than I will post what really happened.

I don't think BIG ever made a pass on a carrier, but there were advertisements (posters, banners, and such) with the Swamp Rat parked on a steam catapult on a US Navy carrier. (google it) And if I'm not mistaken, I've seen the same thing with Bernstein's car at one point or another. The Garlits deal was early in the early70's, and KB would have been somewhere in the 80's.... if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: And now that I think about it, the KB deal might have been just a drawing that I saw, not an actual photo of his car on a carrier. I'm sure someone with a better memory than I will post what really happened.
9435809925_52ec583321_b.jpg

AA/FD 1972 USS Lexington
TC-acircraft-carrier.jpg

AA/FD 1972 The late T.C. Lemon on the deck of the USS Lexington durning the
shooting of a Navy recruitment video
0a8ce1b0354ecd47f348dfda87badc2d--aircraft-carrier-history-photos.jpg

AA/FD 1980
Photo's taken from two different Hot Rod magazines I have in my collection.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back