Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

How many classes still run a Lenco or B&J? Maybe the alky classes and some Pro Mods. I know a Lenco can be mated to a converter & some teams run that. I remember when Lenco came out & it was a big deal then. Big jump in technology.

They're out there.

Instead of putting a powerglide in my top sportsman Camaro I bought a new 3 speed triple sprag B&J from Mike Strasburg, which is the same transmission I ran in TA/FC. In Mike's words "The powerglide guys need two spare transmissions in the trailer besides the one in the car...you only need an o-ring kit for spare parts." I have a Bohr/Boninfante titanium bellhousing, Spec-Rite converter and a B&J Quick Drive (similar to a Brunodrive but I can run more stuff with it).

Here's a picture of it being mocked up and tested in my car before final wiring.

IMG_1216.jpg

Thanks Randy. That looks pretty hi-tech to me. :) Mike Strasburg is sharp. I used to follow him in T/AD before he ran T/F. B&J has always been a competitor to Lenco. If I remember right, Leonard Abbott (?) was one of the founders of Lenco. They ran a front engine T/F car called The Shifter, & it was the test bed for Lenco. Maybe 1968 or 1969? B&J came in later. When Garlits had his accident at Lions in 1970, he was running what he called a Garlitsdrive. That was what blew up & cut off part of his foot & cut the chassis in half. I've heard stories that it was based on a Lenco, or that someone built it for him, maybe whoever started B&J?? Anyhoo, I do remember that when Lenco came out, most of the F/C drivers switched to it; even some T/F at the time. I'm thinking a man named Eldon P Slick ran a T/AD sponsored by Lenco, early 1990's. I have a photo of that car somewhere taken at then Firebird.

Thanks Randy. That looks pretty hi-tech to me. :) Mike Strasburg is sharp. I used to follow him in T/AD before he ran T/F. B&J has always been a competitor to Lenco. If I remember right, Leonard Abbott (?) was one of the founders of Lenco. They ran a front engine T/F car called The Shifter, & it was the test bed for Lenco. Maybe 1968 or 1969? B&J came in later. When Garlits had his accident at Lions in 1970, he was running what he called a Garlitsdrive. That was what blew up & cut off part of his foot & cut the chassis in half. I've heard stories that it was based on a Lenco, or that someone built it for him, maybe whoever started B&J?? Anyhoo, I do remember that when Lenco came out, most of the F/C drivers switched to it; even some T/F at the time. I'm thinking a man named Eldon P Slick ran a T/AD sponsored by Lenco, early 1990's. I have a photo of that car somewhere taken at then Firebird.

Wasn't the GarlitsDrive based on the QuarterMaster overdrive out of IL? Chase

It could have been QuarterMaster. I know that when Garlits first tested with the unit, Prudhomme was there, and Garlits tried to hide the fact that he was shifting. Snake found out about it pretty quick. heh

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back