Pro Mod Tutorial (1 Viewer)

So, after watching that pass. which would be easier to drive? Pro Mod or AA/FA? HEH OK, some comments. When they first got ready to start the engine, crewman was doing something in the car on "passenger side". What was he doing? Watching the tach fluctuate, man that thing is so accurate! Noticed a little box to the right of the tach, w/ red numbers. What info is driver getting from that? Noticed that after he stopped, I could see a couple of unplugged cables on the floor of the "passenger side". Had never seen that before. Why leave them unplugged? OK, those are my comments, paired down. Bob, that was a great video! Man I love watching these cars run!
Probably to get data after pass.

I was thinking that big grey plug was a battery connection for the starter....the blower cars run Mags which probably could run all the electronics..... or there's a small battery onboard for that to separate the ignition signals from the harnesses....

"Now about halfway down track there's a spot where there is NO BUMPS AT ALL.....be careful of that spot....it's no good"!

I was thinking that big grey plug was a battery connection for the starter....the blower cars run Mags which probably could run all the electronics..... or there's a small battery onboard for that to separate the ignition signals from the harnesses....

That's interesting. Had never seen a Pro Mod start like that before. Most of the time they use a starter like the nitro cars. Ya know, just hit me that waaaay back in late '60, I saw a F/C team that started the car by plugging in a cable attached to the batteries. Didn't raise the body, just plugged the cable to a connection on the frame. Might have been Big Mike Burkhart at Lions. Was a Chevy Camaro with a real Rat Motor & auto trans. Dunno why I remember that. I'd think it was the same principle that you stated.

Bob, those are cool videos. I'd seen the sand drag video before, and was surprised they run Pro Mod on sand. 100 yards? And the one thing I noticed on the Stevie video was that he really had the car right in the middle of the groove. Pro Mod is really gonna be interesting this year. Any bets on a NHRA Pro Mod running in the 5.50's?

Bob, those are cool videos. I'd seen the sand drag video before, and was surprised they run Pro Mod on sand. 100 yards? And the one thing I noticed on the Stevie video was that he really had the car right in the middle of the groove. Pro Mod is really gonna be interesting this year. Any bets on a NHRA Pro Mod running in the 5.50's?
Lester Johnson says his old 55 chevy TS car would run 50s if he turned it loose.

This was cool! Didn't know about the tires. I thought they all had bead locks on them. And the bead lock is better until you hit the shake zone. Makes you wonder if you could run a bladder tire and just put more air in the bladder to get the bead lock traction. The injector blades story was funny. I would like him to say what is the difference between a NHRA legal car and the screw blower car he runs at outlaw races.

This was cool! Didn't know about the tires. I thought they all had bead locks on them. And the bead lock is better until you hit the shake zone. Makes you wonder if you could run a bladder tire and just put more air in the bladder to get the bead lock traction. The injector blades story was funny. I would like him to say what is the difference between a NHRA legal car and the screw blower car he runs at outlaw races.

I was thinking the same thing...maybe have roll pins inserted or forge pointy studs into the rim so that the inner liner pushed the tire into them locking the bead like when you put screws through in the past.
Then figure out how short the liner could be to accomplish both usable starting line squat and still have top end stability......

He said something really interesting. He thought about getting a 300" chassis from Scott Palmer, & putting a C screw blower on the engine with 128% O/D, and he thought it could run 4.90's in the 1/4 mile. Ohhh, would I love to see that! I have long thought the a current T/AD (like Cowie) could run 4.90's with a C blower. So what would a car like he describes do with a clutch management system instead of a converter? :)

He would probably have to resort to a setup like the TAD's run....or a really good Powerglide ~:)~

C'mon, take a ride

Hey Mate! This is Sydney Dragway. Couldn't figure out where it was when they first started the car, & think I saw the Rocket signs on the guard wall & the F/C in the other lane. Then I realized, oh yeah, Aussie! If I ever get a gazillion $$$ I'd love to go to Australia & see the drags there, also Europe. THAT would be the adventure to end all adventures. :)

Hmmmmm Thought it was interesting that he likes tuning as much as driving & that he'd like to tune after he quits driving. He did touch on the screw cars having to weigh more than roots cars. IF NHRA would let these guys run C screw blowers at the same weight as roots car, they would be 5.30's at 275 plus. Man that is fast for a short wheelbase car.

Wow. that was interesting. Full floater for my Honda Fit.... Heh There is soooo much technology that has been developed, even in the last 5 years. If I could go back in time to Lions, say 1970 & show T/F and F/C rear ends like this, they would freak. A good driver in 1970 would be able to keep the RPM's from going to the moon when the rear end broke. When it broke, not if. I usta lurk in the pits & I'd hear the driver say, "yeah, broke the rear end", which was usually a cast iron unit with whatever gears they had in there.

Yes, I think it has been posted before. Still interesting video. I love watching this show on Science Channel. They had an episode with carbon fiber once, made me think of all the drag parts made out of that. Am waiting for someone to build an entire engine out of carbon fiber......

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back