Pontiac GXP (1 Viewer)

Johnny Mopar

Nitro Member
NHRA needs to do something about the vehicle/manufacturer situation in Pro Stock. Eleven (11) of the field of sixteen (16) qualified entries are of a manufacturer that doesn't even exist. This is crazy. The original intent of this class was to showcase cars that are available (in stock form) from Detroit. I realize the rules say you can run a body for five years after production, but the manufacturer doesn't even exist. Come on NHRA, update your stupid rules and make the participating vehicles relevant. The GXP was such a short lived car that most non racers probably have never heard of it...adding more stupidity to the entire situation.

Hey, I like Pontiacs....I've owned several and consider my '78 Trans Am the best vehicle I've ever owned. But...this deal in Pro Stock borders on senseless.

Don't get your shorts in a bunch:D...The Camaro should be coming into vogue starting with the WinterNationals

Don't get your shorts in a bunch:D...The Camaro should be coming into vogue starting with the WinterNationals

I hope so. It's bad enough when out of date models are used, but when the majority of the qualified cars at each event are running a brand that doesn't exist...well, that's just ludicrous on NHRA's part. It takes most of the relevance of the models away. It's a joke. They might as well all run the same body and just claim the engine as the only difference.

I'm disappointed in NHRA allowing this. Talk about loop holes in the rule book...this one is so big you could drive a Mack truck through it...errr...heck you could even drive a Pontiac through it.

I hope so. It's bad enough when out of date models are used, but when the majority of the qualified cars at each event are running a brand that doesn't exist...well, that's just ludicrous on NHRA's part. It takes most of the relevance of the models away. It's a joke. They might as well all run the same body and just claim the engine as the only difference.

I'm disappointed in NHRA allowing this. Talk about loop holes in the rule book...this one is so big you could drive a Mack truck through it...errr...heck you could even drive a Pontiac through it.

Pontiac isn't a brand that doesn't exist. It is a brand that isn't being made anymore. There is a difference. Just because they are no longer being made isn't a reason to ban them from the class.

I think I read on Comp+ a while ago that a chassis builder wants to develop Cadillac CTS coupe bodies for pro stock.

I don't know about you, but it would be cool to see caddies in pro stock. :D

John,
While I understand the vailidity of your argument, you also have to consider the economic times that we live in today. The manufacturers no longer are involved anywhere CLOSE to the old days, so there is no internal push from GM to get their body out there like there used to be.
Th Camaro's are coming, but it's an effort being led by the chassis builders and not GM, so the development doesn't come with the financial backing that it used to have.
NHRA and the PS builders are working together to get the Camaro body deveolped & approved and I'd bet we see one on track before the end of the year, with many more in 2011.
Yes, the Cadillace CTS was also being discussed, but I believe it'll probably be relegated to a vehicle that "could have been," although I'd like to have seen one myself.
Remember the old days with the Olds Cutlass? It took some time to replace that body style as well. It just takes time & money, and not necessarily in that order.
Now, If you've got a winning Powerball ticket that you'd like to donate to the cause, I'm sure things could be speeded up........

Unk

John,
While I understand the vailidity of your argument, you also have to consider the economic times that we live in today. The manufacturers no longer are involved anywhere CLOSE to the old days, so there is no internal push from GM to get their body out there like there used to be.
Th Camaro's are coming, but it's an effort being led by the chassis builders and not GM, so the development doesn't come with the financial backing that it used to have.
NHRA and the PS builders are working together to get the Camaro body deveolped & approved and I'd bet we see one on track before the end of the year, with many more in 2011.
Yes, the Cadillace CTS was also being discussed, but I believe it'll probably be relegated to a vehicle that "could have been," although I'd like to have seen one myself.
Remember the old days with the Olds Cutlass? It took some time to replace that body style as well. It just takes time & money, and not necessarily in that order.
Now, If you've got a winning Powerball ticket that you'd like to donate to the cause, I'm sure things could be speeded up........

Unk

Bob,

All good points. I thought of the lack of manufacturer influence as the cause for the situation as well. Each year the top teams usually replace their car with a brand new chassis and body. That is the time a transition to another GM body should be made. NHRA should ramp up the change out of the GXP model with a rules update. You can't buy one, heck you can't even buy a Pontiac. It showcases the lack of relevance to "win on Sunday, sell on Monday". That obviously doesn't happen anymore.

A rules update is certainly in order.

I certainly don't support a rules change to account for the lack of the current Pontiac brand in the marketplace. We'll be seeing current Mustangs verses current Camaros racing before too long . . . and there will be a bunch of Top Sportsman racers with pretty decent GXPs for a nice price.

I heard that the process for getting the Camaro body approved for NHRA Pro Stock took a fair amount of time . . . something with GM getting final approval with the body the Bickel is bringing to market (maybe someone can correct my memory on this).

The Mustang and Camaro snouts sure don't look as aerodynamically slick as the GXP. It would be interesting to hear some drag coefficient numbers for these pro stock cars.

I always get a kick out of how dissimilar looking the pro stock GXP is from the street GXP.

Next guy to win the lottery needs to fund development of the CTS body. Saw one at SEMA and it looked very good.

Just to prove that I'm 'fair & balanced', once the Camaro hits the track we'll have real two-door Pro Stock race cars from Ford and Chevrolet. This is the perfect opportunity for NHRA to finally clean up the class and require the Dodge teams to run the Challenger. The Pro Stock Avenger is laughable. It is NOTHING like the street car...beginning with the 2-door/4-door issue, and continuing with the front/rear drive and driveline differences. I'll bet Dodge would sell more HEMI Challengers if they actually ran that car in NHRA events. I have no interest in a transverse mounted, front wheel drive V-6 Avenger. From a marketing standpoint, NHRA is not the platform to sell the Avenger from. It's something different. Dodge should use NHRA to sell Challengers. It just makes sense.

If NHRA has the gonads to do this the class will become attractive to those on the fringe of our sport. That's how our class and our sport grows. Imagine having three different models that are similar to what is on the lot at your local Chevy/Ford/Dodge dealer. Sounds like the early 70's and connects with the original intent and spirit of the class.

Last edited:
Just to prove that I'm 'fair & balanced', once the Camaro hits the track we'll have real two-door Pro Stock race cars from Ford and Chevrolet. This is the perfect opportunity for NHRA to finally clean up the class and require the Dodge teams to run the Challenger. The Pro Stock Avenger is laughable. It is NOTHING like the street car...beginning with the 2-door/4-door issue, and continuing with the front/rear drive and driveline differences. I'll bet Dodge would sell more HEMI Challengers if they actually ran that car in NHRA events. I have no interest in a transverse mounted, front wheel drive V-6 Avenger. From a marketing standpoint, NHRA is not the platform to sell the Avenger from. It's something different. Dodge should use NHRA to sell Challengers. It just makes sense.

If NHRA has the gonads to do this the class will become attractive to those on the fringe of our sport. That's how our class and our sport grows. Imagine having three different models that are similar to what is on the lot at your local Chevy/Ford/Dodge dealer. Sounds like the early 70's and connects with the original intent and spirit of the class.
Have you been paying any attention to Stock and Super Stock over the last three years? Just wondering.....

John,
NHRA and the PS builders are working together to get the Camaro body developed & approved and I'd bet we see one on track before the end of the year, with many more in 2011.
Yes, the Cadillac CTS was also being discussed, but I believe it'll probably be relegated to a vehicle that "could have been," although I'd like to have seen one myself.

Unk
Unk, there would have to be a major change in marketing plans for the CTSV or Corvette body style to be involved in major drag racing.

As usual some want to blame NHRA for all the drag racing world's problems, but has anyone consider the racer side of it? I'd imagine a lot of time and money has been spent perfecting the current P/S body styles. A change of body styles also mean someone is going to pay the bill on R&D, which I don't think will be coming from Ford, GM or Dodge. That bridge will have to be crossed someday, but for now the GXP body probably helps make the class a little bit more economical(whatever that means)...so the point is, there could be resistance from the racers themselves.

Unk, there would have to be a major change in marketing plans for the CTSV or Corvette body style to be involved in major drag racing.

As usual some want to blame NHRA for all the drag racing world's problems, but has anyone consider the racer side of it? I'd imagine a lot of time and money has been spent perfecting the current P/S body styles. A change of body styles also mean someone is going to pay the bill on R&D, which I don't think will be coming from Ford, GM or Dodge. That bridge will have to be crossed someday, but for now the GXP body probably helps make the class a little bit more economical(whatever that means)...so the point is, there could be resistance from the racers themselves.

Actually.....
I think the prevailing opinion is that a change IS due, and there is much anticipation inside the PS ranks for the new Camaro. The time & money you mention is necessary, and that was my reference to the economic time we live in..... the manufacturers used to provide assistance (monetarily &/or with personel/equipment/services) and we all know that those benefits have pretty well dried up, at least in the GM camp. Right now it's the private sector that's supplying the push behind the Camaro, hence the longer time needed to bring to completion.
As far as the Cadillac body is concerned....... you might be surprised at what is actually hapening behind the scenes, but for now the emphasis is certainly focused on getting the Camaro body tweaked & approved for competition.

John,
Does a rules change need to be invoked? No, PS is costly enough without forcing the teams to invoke even more expense. New body styles will continue to be incorporated as they develop. It takes time to develop the new, and you also want to use what you have to the greatest extent possible to make the most of your investment.

Unk

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back