Pokin' Along At Bristol (1 Viewer)

twostep

Nitro Member
So what's with the slow pace at Bristol this weekend? The temperature is in the mid 70s, DA is decent at 3000 feet, track's a bit warm but not terrible, low 120s. And none of the Pro classes can get out of their own way. Mid 3.80s was the best time in Q2 for TF (Torrence); half of the others blew the tires off. FC, Force's 4.03 was the best time and half of them blew the tires off (there's only been one 3-second pass all weekend, 3.97). Every PS car and PSM was at least a tenth and 5mph off. Nobody ran faster than 206 and 196 respectively in either Q1 or 2. So what's goin' on? Did they glue the track with 10w30?

So what's with the slow pace at Bristol this weekend? The temperature is in the mid 70s, DA is decent at 3000 feet, track's a bit warm but not terrible, low 120s. And none of the Pro classes can get out of their own way. Mid 3.80s was the best time in Q2 for TF (Torrence); half of the others blew the tires off. FC, Force's 4.03 was the best time and half of them blew the tires off (there's only been one 3-second pass all weekend, 3.97). Every PS car and PSM was at least a tenth and 5mph off. Nobody ran faster than 206 and 196 respectively in either Q1 or 2. So what's goin' on? Did they glue the track with 10w30?
Bumps have been ground flat on track surface. Those areas now need to fill in.

Posibly they found a co-sponsor for the weekend - SLICK-50

From what it sounds like from what I've read and heard mentioned there are quite a few bumps to navigate, coupled with track temps that were I think 125 in Q2 it is very tricky out there. During Q3 I think I heard Alan mention something that they (Bristol) are going to grind the track this offseason. If I am not mistaken there was a nasty bump (worse in one lane) right at the point where the tunnel goes under the track that I thought they fixed a few years ago.

Are tunnels under the track just a bad idea (bumps), or is this a Bristol-specific problem? For such a beautiful track, it's a shame to see so many up in smoke, bumpy passes.

Track temps are well above 130. No data for all the cc since the track was ground down. Seems like most are getting off the line but can't figure out how to get through the middle of the track. Tires slipping more causeing cylinders to go out.

From what I gathered from the broadcast of the finals was the track was "bump" ground - high spots leveled out and shallow areas in the track "hydraulic" pumped up from below to help make it smother to NHRA specs. I am guessing that means + or - a certain measurement of being flat. Kurt Johnson, not the driver, is NHRA's was explaining what was done. A few crew chiefs were interviewed and most seemed to still question the tracks condition. Also it sounded that any rubber built up on it was removed during the process.

Watching the race it appeared the AA/TF and AA/FC were loosing traction and or dropping cylinders at a few different points on the track, typical of a bump or low spot. Maybe that is because there was not alot of rubber in certain areas, I don't know. IMHO those going up in smoke at the hit just missed the setup.

Yes the track temp was reported to be about 135 degrees.

I was there, I saw a visible difference in the spots on the track that had been ground there was a lot of white showing. I assume it was a lack of rubber. Both nitro classes were loosing traction in various spots, sometimes as late as 800 to 1000 foot.

Apparently some people must have me on mute, as I stated on the 2nd post of this thread what was going on with the track.

76 - 77 degrees is the reported temp on Weather Underground, between 12:53pm - 1:53pm.

Drag Race Central reported the same temperatures along with a 135 degree track temp.

Sunrise is at 6:00am and the sun is directly beating down on the track this time of the year. Don't forget Bristol is a high elevation track.

Wind speed was very low as well. So 135 is not out of the question.

We noticed the whiter spots where they ground...odd the rotator couldn't get more rubber down, but you could easily see the black tracks from the cars over it...odd, but don't feel that was the issue.
My daughter is amazed at the tunability of the fuel cars, so as I was explaining why the teams would walk to 660' or further, evaluating all areas, so they knew where to turn it up, down, even, whatever I realized most of the tire smoke came after the first or second tunnel...
Alan may correct me, but seemed like the CC's were pulling back at those spots to get through, then pouring it back on...some hit it and some were too early and smoked 'em

Apparently some people must have me on mute, as I stated on the 2nd post of this thread what was going on with the track.

76 - 77 degrees is the reported temp on Weather Underground, between 12:53pm - 1:53pm.

Drag Race Central reported the same temperatures along with a 135 degree track temp.

Sunrise is at 6:00am and the sun is directly beating down on the track this time of the year. Don't forget Bristol is a high elevation track.

Wind speed was very low as well. So 135 is not out of the question.
Well, it was 136 degrees on the track so something caused it. My guess is what you said about the sun beating down on the track surface all day with no breeze .....identical track temps were present during the 2021 event under identical (mid 70s) weather. I'm not buying the high-elevation part of it as being a factor - Bristol is 1600' ASL; that's not high.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back