Points Issue (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
NOT A POINTS-SCHEME FAN – Jack Beckman, the 2010 Funny Car champion and 2020 contender, went on the record as saying he’s not keen on the points manipulation everyone is faced with at this race. “I’ve never been a fan of points-and-a-half,” the driver of the Infinite Hero Dodge Charger Hellcat for Don Schumacher Racing, said. “No round should be worth more than any other round. And I’m consistent whether I’m leading or trailer. That’s the way they’re going to award the points, so in essence there’s the equivalent of six rounds worth of points up for grabs in Vegas. We’re going to have to hope Matt [class leader Hagan] doesn’t go deep [into eliminations]. Ideally, we’d match up with him first round and we could make up lot of rounds. Our fate is not in our hands right now. We’re going to have to win.”

Why did the NHRA decide to do this at all this year? You let the countdown go, you have the points go the way they are supposed to go, yet you still want more drama? Keeping the bonus points qualifying system, fine I am ok with that. If they were going to do this they should have kept it this weekend as well as Indy and the U.S. Nats. I am lost on why.

Comp Plus

Jack's comment he is not keen on points manipulation is ridiculous. Saying "points manipulation" is like saying someone is cheating. It was made clear at the Indy races that the US Nationals would not be a point and a half race. Vegas was designated as the point and a half race. NHRA made that decision. Jack may not like it but he is spitting into the wind. Deal with it and be thankful there was racing at all this year.

Jack's comment he is not keen on points manipulation is ridiculous. Saying "points manipulation" is like saying someone is cheating. It was made clear at the Indy races that the US Nationals would not be a point and a half race. Vegas was designated as the point and a half race. NHRA made that decision. Jack may not like it but he is spitting into the wind. Deal with it and be thankful there was racing at all this year.
Well maybe he was meaning to say “drama manipulation”. Because it seems between the countdown and then points and a half at the final event, NHRA is always trying to have the titles come down to, if possible, the very last run of the season.

Well, may not have been the final runs, but a lot of champions were decided at this race. Did make for good viewing.

just enjoyed watching each race.....don't care about points, and it was great not hearing the word 'countdown' three thousand times.
points mean nothing. money means everything. purses per race should be one of if not the top concern of nhra leading into 2021 season.

If any race was going to be worth points and a half, it should have been Indy, and only Indy.
Otherwise, it's just another race when it's supposed to be NHRA's crown jewel.
But, even with the absence of JFR, the nitro racing this year turned out pretty good.

Jack Beckman is former USAF, like me. Was also stationed in New Mexico, like me. Altho, he is slightly younger...... :) I like him, hope he comes back. Wonder if he still has the S/C dragster? I think most folks forget he won the championship in S/C one year.

if he can't come back let him replace Tony in the booth

I'd hate to see Jack on the sidelines but, he'd be great in the booth (and I don't want to put Tony out of a job - I only watch NHRA.TV)

Beckman was my instructor for the Frank Hawley class I took at Pomona. Great teacher and a good guy. Love his history videos.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back