Old drag photos (1 Viewer)

COOL...:D I wonder how long it took them to figure out to turn the injector scoop around on the Gopher State car?? :eek: Maybe they were afraid of the Gopher's...:p
Who is the Gopher State anyway??

COOL...:D I wonder how long it took them to figure out to turn the injector scoop around on the Gopher State car?? :eek: Maybe they were afraid of the Gopher's...:p
Who is the Gopher State anyway??

Some very great stuff there Chad Thank You!!!!

and Ray, Gopher is a State of mind... what got me addicted to Nitro.... as in "kid, go-fer a jug of water, go-fer some rags outta the back of the truck, go-fer a case of oil, go over to XXX and see if we can borrow a 137 jet..." and that's not the first scoop I've seen facing bassackward on a whale motor car in that time frame (67-69):)

I think the Gopher thing was part of the Gopher State Timing Association. If I remember correctly Minnesota is 'The Gopher State'? Sounds good. Right? BTW, great pictures. Thanks

You are all welcome! These are from Thunder Valley Dragway Marion S.D. the TVD is from 78-81? and the second set is from ???? I would say early 70's.

Wiebe Donovan circa 71-72

Jiminy Cricket wheelie truck used to be the Back-Up Pickup

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Chad.. Makes me want to dig out all my old ones and get them in a scanner before its too late :)

Some very great stuff there Chad Thank You!!!!

and Ray, Gopher is a State of mind... what got me addicted to Nitro.... as in "kid, go-fer a jug of water, go-fer some rags outta the back of the truck, go-fer a case of oil, go over to XXX and see if we can borrow a 137 jet..." and that's not the first scoop I've seen facing bassackward on a whale motor car in that time frame (67-69)
Karl
O.K. I'll buy the go-fer and hunny-do list thing for now, which by the way is why I never got married, so don't know much about those lists personally...:D But I have heard more then a few horror stories...:eek: As far as the scoop, I go back to that era as well, however I have not seen a pic in so long, that I kinda forgot about it... Maybe someone in the know can explain it to us, and what the performance gain was by simply turning it in the right direction...:rolleyes: Ray Alley is on vacation, but surely another old fart is lurking...:)

Very cool pictures indeed...Thanks for sharing!
On the older photo's there a couple of the late John Hagen's green Cuda - great shot of the old Dodge hauler #100 (I actually rode in that truck once!)
Shot #112 is Richard Charbonneau's Fairlane. The date on this picture is SEP 68. I was a pretty lucky kid to witness these two (Charby and Hagen) when they we're the cars to beat!
Thanks Again....I really enjoyed seeing these!

but surely another old fart is lurking...:)

You must be talkin' to me........;)
Being as I am a former Gopher State guy, this was in my era. I temporarly escaped in "67-"68, went back for some stupid reason, but returned to Ca. for good in "72.

A few in this era tried this deal with the thinking there was too much turbulance actually blowing some fuel out the front. Crew Chief and sometime driver Ray Rutimann told me it didn't change a thing, but they liked being diferent.

They also had an old Tom Hoover, Stucky built car that the assoc. used for driver training. It had an Enderle injector, that of course, the driver (and everybody on the startline) could see if the drivers foot came off the pedal from "G" force (or unknown reasons) so they ran that one backward for those reasons.

Bob

Thanks Uncle Bob, and yes I was talking about you...:D
Sorry for waking you up...;) But my knocks at the door, go unanswered...:p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back