O.C.I.R. Aug 5-1967*Oct 29-1983 1st Supertrack (1 Viewer)

Are there even 52 big show funny cars these days? There are barely that many if you combine Top Fuel and Funny Car.
I remember at least one radio commercial in which Bill Doner claimed there would be 100 funny cars at an OCIR race. I attended that and as many of the 64 FC events as I could. I don't know if there was ever 100 funny cars at a show, but I didn't care as i watched nothing but funny cars all day and all night long. As big a fan as I am of drag racing, I am just about as stupid in the business part of it, never having raced. But I fear what will happen to the pro categories should anyone like Kalitta or Schumacher bail (anyone ready to go down to an 8-car field?). I am probably wrong here but I think that the sport would be better served by dumbing down the cars, making them less expensive to campaign. This would mean outlawing carbon fiber, two magnetos and on-board computers. And limiting superchargers, resulting in cars that still run 270 and would be more similar to nostalgia cars in performance. At the 2020 March Meet, there seemed to be endless nostalgia funny cars and the crowd loved the show. We should have a cost of entry that provides for at least one pro car/motor cycle for every 300,000 population, which would mean 1,100 pro teams in the country. This would provide a lot more independent shows and encourage more drag strips to be built. At least for me, a 270 MPH funny car is nearly as exciting as a 330. It would put a greater emphasis on seat-of-the-pants driving, provide a wider variety of teams in the winner's circle, and would create interest because of local drivers competing. There were probably no more than six winners in any of the pro categories this year...that makes it more difficult for fans to connect with the sport. I concur with anyone who bemoans limitations put on these machines but I worry for the sport as we've watched so many guys drop out of racing due to costs and drag strips close due to low attendance. And more cars being built would likely result in lower costs for specialty parts. Go ahead and stomp me good - and add a few kicks to the groin - if I'm wrong on this.

Are there even 52 big show funny cars these days? There are barely that many if you combine Top Fuel and Funny Car.
I remember at least one radio commercial in which Bill Doner claimed there would be 100 funny cars at an OCIR race. I attended that and as many of the 64 FC events as I could. I don't know if there was ever 100 funny cars at a show, but I didn't care as i watched nothing but funny cars all day and all night long. As big a fan as I am of drag racing, I am just about as stupid in the business part of it, never having raced. But I fear what will happen to the pro categories should anyone like Kalitta or Schumacher bail (anyone ready to go down to an 8-car field?). I am probably wrong here but I think that the sport would be better served by dumbing down the cars, making them less expensive to campaign. This would mean outlawing carbon fiber, two magnetos and on-board computers. And limiting superchargers, resulting in cars that still run 270 and would be more similar to nostalgia cars in performance. At the 2020 March Meet, there seemed to be endless nostalgia funny cars and the crowd loved the show. We should have a cost of entry that provides for at least one pro car/motor cycle for every 300,000 population, which would mean 1,100 pro teams in the country. This would provide a lot more independent shows and encourage more drag strips to be built. At least for me, a 270 MPH funny car is nearly as exciting as a 330. It would put a greater emphasis on seat-of-the-pants driving, provide a wider variety of teams in the winner's circle, and would create interest because of local drivers competing. There were probably no more than six winners in any of the pro categories this year...that makes it more difficult for fans to connect with the sport. I concur with anyone who bemoans limitations put on these machines but I worry for the sport as we've watched so many guys drop out of racing due to costs and drag strips close due to low attendance. And more cars being built would likely result in lower costs for specialty parts. Go ahead and stomp me good - and add a few kicks to the groin - if I'm wrong on this.

As for the 2020 March Meet, 21 Funny Cars attempted qualifying runs for the 16 spots. Not exactly a cavalcade. It is certainly lower than recent years and way down from 10 years ago.

I am curious how you came up with your "1 pro car for every 300,000 people" number. Arbitrarily? Some sort of distributed math formula for classic car/hot rod ownership? NHRA Membership stats? Does your accounting also include Sprint Cars? Modifieds? NASCAR? IndyCar? Other forms of drag racing besides Nitro? Because if you combined all of the "pro" touring series, I bet you are pretty close to your 1100 number.

We all agree with the need for lowering costs, but I am an optimist. I think as the Forces and Schumachers leave the sport (hopefully not for a long time) that people will see opportunity and build cars to fill the spots. Nature abhors a vacuum.

As for the 2020 March Meet, 21 Funny Cars attempted qualifying runs for the 16 spots. Not exactly a cavalcade. It is certainly lower than recent years and way down from 10 years ago.

I am curious how you came up with your "1 pro car for every 300,000 people" number. Arbitrarily? Some sort of distributed math formula for classic car/hot rod ownership? NHRA Membership stats? Does your accounting also include Sprint Cars? Modifieds? NASCAR? IndyCar? Other forms of drag racing besides Nitro? Because if you combined all of the "pro" touring series, I bet you are pretty close to your 1100 number.

We all agree with the need for lowering costs, but I am an optimist. I think as the Forces and Schumachers leave the sport (hopefully not for a long time) that people will see opportunity and build cars to fill the spots. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Hi Chris,
My figure of one pro car per three hundred thousand people is arbitrary and represents a healthy sport with more drag strips and more local drivers . I live in a community of 300,000 people and know some of the hotrodders around here. A few are wealthy (I'm talking about eight figures) and I'm pretty sure that at least one of them pony up the money for a pro car if they could do it for a reasonable cost and could race on a regular basis. Twenty-one nostalgia FC's is a good amount when considering how infrequently these guys get to race. I hope that there will be people to replace the big guns when they leave the sport but I became really alarmed when hearing the news that Jack Beckman will be going back to repairing elevators if he doesn't find another ride. JACK BECKMAN! I just want the sport to be healthier than it is now and to be able to attend races more often and cheer for a local driver.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back