Not too smart! (1 Viewer)

I have always been surprised at how close they stand, espcecially down track. I would think tracks would build some type of concrete bunker they could dive under or something.

This reminds me of "Mullet Boy" who works the track at about 330 ft at Fireturd in Phoenix. I don't care if an electric car does a burnout that uses no fluids, at the end of the burn-out he insists on stepping right out into the lane where we start our back up then bends down and wipes as if there is fluid dripping from our car despite the fact that there is nothing leaking at all. He keeps wiping in full view of the driver backing up and it really gets into your head. Then jumps back over then leans on the wall as the racers pass to show his true colors.

What goes through these peoples minds?
That would be a real black eye for the sport, as if the Pro Mod burnout wasn't bad enough, to have it happen at a sanctioned event would be disasterous.

This reminds me of "Mullet Boy" who works the track at about 330 ft at Fireturd in Phoenix. I don't care if an electric car does a burnout that uses no fluids, at the end of the burn-out he insists on stepping right out into the lane where we start our back up then bends down and wipes as if there is fluid dripping from our car despite the fact that there is nothing leaking at all. He keeps wiping in full view of the driver backing up and it really gets into your head. Then jumps back over then leans on the wall as the racers pass to show his true colors.

HAHA Doc! He works the VW races that I go to! He's a trip! I kinda figured that he was only doing that for us! Now I don't feel so special! :D

That is the "trackside observer" and if he didn't stand that close, you folks would be bitching about him not spotting fluids or debris on the track after a run. Get a life!

That is the "trackside observer" and if he didn't stand that close, you folks would be bitching about him not spotting fluids or debris on the track after a run. Get a life!

yeah you're right, god forbid we be concerned about his safety:rolleyes:

Seems to me that at NHRA National events, there are NHRA track workers spaced down both sides of the track, maybe 4-6 per lane. While the cars are making a pass, they are back by the return road (50-100ft?) and then run out to the track, AFTER THE PASS, to inspect the track on each and every pass. i.e., they seem to be way out of harms way while a pass is being made. Maybe local events could follow the same procedures???

I have been a trackside observer. The ONLY safe thing to do is stand away from the track as far as possible and AFTER the car passes your position you check the track. It's not about getting a life it's about keeping your life!

I have been a trackside observer. The ONLY safe thing to do is stand away from the track as far as possible and AFTER the car passes your position you check the track. It's not about getting a life it's about keeping your life!
I occassionally take pics from the wall at Woodburn and Jim (owner) has a rule about distance: You can go out to the 60ft mark, after that, every 100ft you have to take another 2 big steps back away from the wall. By the time you're at 330ft you're up against the fence so there's no use going any further down track.

Like when Del and Tommy's cars blew apart.He would have got a face full of debris.

I understand his responsibility and, of course, I appreciate the safety he provides. My beef is that we aren't dripping fluids yet he insists on wiping for about ten feet every pass as if we have a rod hanging out and it really gets into the driver's head. I know, both of my sons have asked me time and again if we were leaking fluids on the track after their passes. The answer was always no and their question repeatedly is "why is he wiping up as if we're broken?"

His position, leaning against the wall is also disturbing to me.

As far as me getting a life, I don't think I'd trade mine for yours. I appreciate all you do for us but no thanks on the trade.

being a person that videotapes from the wall...I have found that most 1/8th mile facilities are more easy on the rules about distance...technically there is an insurance clause that mandates you being so far from the track...Cordova Dragway in Illinois is very strict on them distances unless strict permission/waivors signed...When filming at the finishline the closest I can be to the track is undernesth the scoreboards about 50-100 feet away (and that is very risky)...the scariest spot to stand believe it or not is between the cars on the starting line...you never know what is gonna happen with cars doing burnouts behind you and the possibility of detonation of engines and other parts...I have had an exploded rearend land within a foot of me about 5 weeks ago...you learn to pay attention to everything around you...

Please don't be so hard on "Birdman"! He has been a very loyal employee of our company for almost 20 years and has a lot of love for what he does at Firebird. He does not have a drivers license, so he rides his bike in all kinds of weather to get to the track. We can't all be Generals, someone has to be the foot soldier. Tim has had a hard time in life - respect him for doing the best he can. He loves drag racing and is very concerned about the safety of racers. - Jim

I was spotting at the 1/8 mile mark at Martin. The car that hit the wall was close to the wall at the 1/8 mile and at 1000 ft went into the wall. The car scrapped the wall where the spotter was standing. I'm sure if the car was heading at him he would of moved. When the fuel cars run we were standing back off the track wall about 15 ft to 20 ft. You say 50 to 100 ft well there wasn't even 50 ft to the fence and the other side of the track had a big ditch so we couldn't stand there. Are job is dangerous and we take it seriously, as long as we keep are eyes always on the track I think we will be ok.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back