Noise Canceling Headphones (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Has anyone tried, or is using noise canceling headphones? I have seen the Bose and Audio Technica sets. They work for commuting. How about 8,000 horsepower engines?

Lee
Nitroclovers

I use the Bose Quiet comfort II headphones for when I fly, they work excellent! For Fuel cars??? Good luck in finding something that works...

Has anyone tried, or is using noise canceling headphones? I have seen the Bose and Audio Technica sets. They work for commuting. How about 8,000 horsepower engines?

Lee
Nitroclovers

I have never used them around something that loud but my professional opinion is they will not do much for the noise of a nitro engine. Something that loud will penetrate right though the headphone or you head for that matter. They work great for generator noise or A/C noise etc.

That said I have never tried them with something that loud so I guess it is time for a field test. I have lots of the headset so now all I need is a test subject and an engine.

I was wondering if the money was well spent on the 'phones for fuel. Maybe I'll just continue to use my earplugs. Thanks
Lee
Nitroclovers

Lee
Nitroclovers

Lee,

Exactly what age were you when you became unamerican and decided the sound of a NITRO car was a BAD THING?? :p :D :D

Rapid {Never heard a Nitro car I didn't like} ;)

Randy, I agree with you that I've never heard a fuel motor I didn't like. But you should know that with that attitude once you become an "geezer" like me all you will be able to hear IS a fuel motor. Of course that doesn't mean that my opinion has changed at all.

Hugh, whats was that, oh ya, I think so, Hey did you hear that. I can't find my cell phone it's not on vibrate.. LOL

I use shooters head phones when I remember to bring them. the rating on them is higher. I do prefer nothing as you can hear the engine pull down when the clutch kicks in better. But then TV don't sound as good for a few weeks after a National event. it kinda has a good ring to it.. The best part though is commercials are not so loud. lol

John, What?? What did you say?? :D :D

Indy 1979 my first time at the Nat's and I was crewing on a C-Gas Corvette. A little ways down from us was a fueler, yeah back in the day we all parked in the grass. Anyway it was idling, and me being 18 and invincible, walked right up to it. It was on jack stands and the driver looked over as I closely inspected his ride. I was standing there getting used to the noise and he wacked it!!!! It made my knees buckle and blasted my chest at the same time. I looked at him with eyes as big as saucers I would guess and we just grinned at each other!!! I was hooked big time!! :cool:

Hello group, My name is Rapid and I am a Nitro addict! ;)

Rapid

We use Racing Radios units. They work as well as anything when you are near the starting line -:D

They have two audio inputs - one for two way communications and the other for scanner or AM/FM fron the tower. About $200 for each headset and Motorola two way radio. They also have headsets with just scanner input or no input (what fun is that?) - Jim

Randy, I agree with you that I've never heard a fuel motor I didn't like. But you should know that with that attitude once you become an "geezer" like me all you will be able to hear IS a fuel motor. Of course that doesn't mean that my opinion has changed at all.

What did you say John???? I just wear my Peltor H9's from work... strangely, after being around Nitro or Alky cars, the ringing stops for a week or so...
Heck 40 years ago, we didn't even think about it, or the respirator...

Ring in the ears? right now, it's at the distracting point.... Good Rock helps me sleep, can't stand to be in a quiet room...

d'kid

My left ear is only about 20%. Right ear 60%. All from fuel cars and guns when I was younger.

But when people ask how I lost my hearing, they think it is very cool when I explain it. ( at least I think that is what they were asking):D

Jay

Respirator?...we wouldn't have known what to do with a respirator. We just put a bit of water on a red rag and held it over our mouth and let the tears run down our face while the headers filled the drivers compartment. No ear muffs, no respirators just warmed it on what ever percent was in the can. Usually 95 or better although sometimes we'd use alcohol. Went to the Hot Rod Reunion and the most common thing said was..what'd you say?

Last edited:
Three old nitro crew chiefs having a conversation,

#1 says..."Sure is windy."

#2 replies..."No, I think it's Thursday."

#3 chimes in..."Hey, me too, let's get a beer."

I love the sound of nitro engines but too much will damage your hearing for sure. The noise cancelling headsets are good for environments where there is a steady noise like a machine shop or some other continuous noise like being on an airplane in flight. Good quality hearing protection is all you really need.

Sure is windy.

Thanks Reinhard, but I think we should go to Burger King...
Wendy ain't got shakes anymore...

But what does noise have to do with lunch? If I only knew 40 years ago what I know today, I won't have to read lips...:eek:

d'kid

Thanks all for replies!! Now, are there similar options for eyes, so I don't miss the 'candy?" Walk around with binoculars-night vision goggles. Do you think the objects would notice me watching them?:)
Lee
Nitroclovers

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back