No more Pontiac Excitement Nats at Columbus (1 Viewer)

nitrofishblue

Nitro Member
http://www.nhra.com/content/news.asp?articleid=15442

It appears that the first victim of the Norwalk move to NHRA is the Columbus event.

That is sad for me since that was the only event that I was able to attend. Now what will I do for my nitro fix? I haven't been at Columbus for two years due to health reasons but it was looking good for 2007. My husband was looking forward to the event. I guess he will have to be happy with his hobby of reloading.

that is ridiculous. very disappointed in nhra's decision to do this...

why? have you ever heard someone say " man i just got back from columbus and that is the nicest track i have ever been to ! ".... not me. i have mentioned about going to columbus before and most everybody that has gone in the past told me " don't waiste the trip "

http://www.nhra.com/content/news.asp?articleid=15442

It appears that the first victim of the Norwalk move to NHRA is the Columbus event.

That is sad for me since that was the only event that I was able to attend. Now what will I do for my nitro fix? I haven't been at Columbus for two years due to health reasons but it was looking good for 2007. My husband was looking forward to the event. I guess he will have to be happy with his hobby of reloading.

norwalks about 100 miles from C-bus so its still close enough to get a nitro fix but c-bus is still going to have some special nitro show

that is ridiculous. very disappointed in nhra's decision to do this...

Just from a safety standpoint its a good move. Its much too often that cars (and even bikes) go long at columbus.

Hey I guess I can now saw that I was at the last nationals at C-bus

I enjoyed going to Columbus for the nostalgic feeling of remembering what drag strips used to be like. The first few Springnationals were like an outlaw circus. Today it's mom & pop and the kids but the facility is almost the same as it was then. Norwalk is more like a modern major league ballpark. I've thought the "Springs" should be moved to Norwalk for about 20 years. Columbus lost a lot of it's appeal when they took away the Springnationals name.

The move makes sense from a business standpoint. Having attended a bunch of Springnationals at Columbus, including the first seven and the last five, I have a lot of fond memories of the event. But with friends and family in Cleveland this will hopefully be even better. Norwalk also has a lot of memories for me -- haven't been there in about 30 years, so I'm sure the place looks nothing like I remember it.

Let's see - a casual fan is watching the Columbus show on TV and notices
that sometimes the cars can't slow down fast enough and they actually cross
a public road. enough said.
From what i understand, we almost lost BIR to another MN track development.
As things worked, we didn't - but progress is progress.

Times are changing and so are some of tracks the NHRA holds national events. Most of the time change is for the better and I think this is one of those times.

The move makes sense from a business standpoint.............................
I don't see how this makes sense from a business standpoint, not when you consider that NHRA owns the Columbus track and will now have to split the gate with a track owner. The only way that this makes sense to me is if the Columbus track truly was awarded in the Pro Stock Truck lawsuit and NHRA said take the track, but you're not getting the National Meet. I don't know, am I missing something?:confused:

why? have you ever heard someone say " man i just got back from columbus and that is the nicest track i have ever been to ! ".... not me. i have mentioned about going to columbus before and most everybody that has gone in the past told me " don't waiste the trip "

i've gone the last 2 years to the nhra event there, and there was nothing about the place that would prompt me to tell someone to not waste the trip.

granted, they don't have luxury boxes or some of the other amenities that other facilities have, but i've had nothing but positive experiences there.

And if you watch the coverage from Norwalk you will get to see cars go long and through a narrow opening in the airport property-line fence, into the airport property. Not sure what they are going to do to rectify that situation, but the airport fence line is just far enough past the end of the racing surface for the turnoffs and cars crossing from one side to the other have to cross at that end of the track. Can't move the other end of the strip, there's a highway there. That's about the only problem area that has no foreseeable solution.

As for luxury boxes and other things, Norwalk will have those by the time they hold the national event there next year - and Billy Jr. assured me they would make sure Norwalk keeps it's character despite the pit paving - there will still be plenty of grass - and a fan-friendly attitude. Race control will stay atop the right-side stands, there will be an elevator, and the open-air deck will be converted into a media center.

Last edited:
My first taste in Norwalk was in 1985.
That place had almost zero security and I remember me and a friend sneaking up right beside the starting line. I remember seeing Bob Glidden's tach needle moving, and just sitting down chatting with Billy Meyer's crew between oil downs..
My Nitro experience was the best ever, and you guys should have seen the look on the people in the tower looking down on us when the jet cars pulled up. I think they thought we were going to die...
It was in the top 5 of my life's best experiences.

I've attended the Springs since 1982, and have only missed a few events.
Personally, I'm happy because Norwalk is a lot closer to me, but sad because NTR was a special place and Reynoldsburg/Brice rd. was a special mix of hotels, restaurants and ofcourse that little strip club in the plaza where we had a lot of fun partying.

I am thrilled with these recent developments. In my opinion, NRP is a far superior facility in countless ways... not the least of which is the better visibility of the vehicles on the track @ NRP.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back