No injected nitro in TA/FC for 2021 (1 Viewer)

One more thing Mike am I right about Bruce racing Alky dragsters back in the 80s
I can't remember everything. I will be 61 in April. Oh crap the end is coming LOL
I do remember one thing I have to go to the store right now

Last edited:
One more thing Mike am I right about Bruce racing Alky dragsters back in the 80s
I can't remember everything. I will be 61 in April. Oh crap the end is coming LOL
I do remember one thing I have to go to the store right now
Yes that age sounds right [75] -he raced even before that. We started in the mid 50s I am a few more years than Bruce-Mike

Yes that age sounds right [75] -he raced even before that. We started in the mid 50s I am a few more years than Bruce-Mike

Thanks Mike, now all we need is Bruce to post and tell us if we are right or wrong. When I looked at
his profile yesterday he has never posted anything. 0 post's Found some pictures... Horner Bros. Alky Dragster
1610920298727.png

1610920403267.png

1610920466538.png

Mike do you know who this guy is, in this yellow Alky Dragster
1610921194992.png

Last edited:
In the Old Daze, like 1950's, they actually had a nitro class for everything. I saw an old photo of Jack Chrisman, Ford sedan (1932?) & the class was A/Fuel, the opposite of A/Gas. This was mid 1950's. Deagsters, Modified Roadsters, Competition Coupes & Sedans, Roadsters, Altereds, etc etc, all had versions of nitro classes. Sometimes the nitro cars were called "hot" cars and you had the "hot pits" as well. San Fernando had a hot pit area (anything that had to be push started). I used to love watching JR/F at Lions. Nice cackle outta the pipes & they put on a good show.
Yep....in the late 60s, actually, I watched a green 1955 Chevy 2 door post make a pass (at Lions), running an injected BBC on nitro. I was told it was a regular on the SoCal circuit; some of you old-timers might remember it. If I recall, it ran in the 9.0/150mph range...pretty impressive for a doorslammer more than 50 years ago.

Yep....in the late 60s, actually, I watched a green 1955 Chevy 2 door post make a pass (at Lions), running an injected BBC on nitro. I was told it was a regular on the SoCal circuit; some of you old-timers might remember it. If I recall, it ran in the 9.0/150mph range...pretty impressive for a doorslammer more than 50 years ago.

Carl, I remember this car! It was painted green & had X/S (Experimental Stock) on the roof. My thought at the time was that car was too old to be considered A/FX or F/C, but it did run like stink. Wow, so I'm not the only one who remembers that car.

Can't believe I found this, but the 55 Chevy was called Green Seen. Photos in the link & you can enlarge & see the X/S on the roof. Wow.... didn't know these pics existed.

Can't believe I found this, but the 55 Chevy was called Green Seen. Photos in the link & you can enlarge & see the X/S on the roof. Wow.... didn't know these pics existed.
Neither did I....wow, that's it....that's amazing that we both remember that car. I can vividly recall the announcer (and I believe Larry Sutton was the starter at that time) describing the car...dunno if it was always an injected BBC on fuel but it was that evening. Wasn't long afterwards after my return to Texas that I got my first look at a true Funny Car pass (at Green Valley Raceway), courtesy of the Burkhart/Schmidt Camaro, which was a blown fuel car. Theyneeded the blower just to haul Big Mike Burkhart - 400 pounds - down the track. It ran about as quick as one of today's Factory Stock Camaros but at the time I thought I was watching an Apollo launch. Those were the days !

There were a lot of really good Texas cars then. Drag On Vega, Big Mike Burkhart, Blue Max, Billy Meyer, Mexican Revolution, CKC, Brand X, just off the top of my head. I saw most of those cars at Lions early in the year, before they hit the road. I have family in College Station (they bleed Aggie maroon), and go there when I get a chance. Whoop.....

I'm old enough to remember A/FC competition in ProComp Eliminator. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I couldn't find a good video of an A/FC but here's an A/Fuel Altered making a pass at Famoso. Pretty salty little ride; nice cackle.

That is a wild car, I believe it's Mike Sullivan's, of AA/FA fame.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back